Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The 10 Most impressive Steam Passenger Locomotives from Around the World

I made a a personal preference list of the ten most impressive steam passenger locomotives from around the world and here is a video presenting my choice:

Your list might be different 😉

Regards

Fred

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

It might!  This sort of thing is very subjective and individualistic, and it is difficult to pin down 'impressive' as an objective quantifiable quality.  Not thought out my own list, but there will be no streamlined engines; streamlining and styling is a surefire way to mess up the look of any steam loco...  But I'll make an exception for the sheer weirdness and oddballity of the LNER 'Hush-Hush', a 'stealth' engine.  Top of the list would be the NYC 'Niagaras', though; 1,000ton trains at timetabled 100mph, magnificent!  The UP's 844 maintains the 'look'.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

An interesting choice, but I can only assume that the Bulleid pacific has some personal significance because I would suggest that there are plenty of much better candidates in your ELEGANCE ON RAILS pdf.

Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with Johnster about the NYC Niagaras, but I would insist that the Pennsylvania duplexes were included as well

Does anyone else agree that th A4s looked much more impressive and dynamic-looking after the skirts over the valve gear were removed?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I would insist that the Pennsylvania duplexes were included as well

Does anyone else agree that th A4s looked much more impressive and dynamic-looking after the skirts over the valve gear were removed?

A PRR duplex was number 11 on my list, but here they are anyway:

I think the A4 was more impressive with the skirts, personal choice again 😉

Regards

Fred

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Interesting that you went for the S3/6 rather than the earlier S2/6 that generally seems to be regarded as better looking. 

I agree with beter looking, but the series of S3/6 is more impressing (I think). Here are both:

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

Thare are many locos I do not have a model of. I do not have diesel or electrics and there are many (too much to list 😉) steam locomotives I do not have. But I do not complain.

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...