OO9 Turntable?

St. Simon

Hi,

I've been looking at changing the design of my intended new OO / OO9 layout and one of the things I would like to add is a Turntable, just for interest. I know that there isn't much advantage in turning locos on a Narrow Gauge line, but it would add something to do.

I know that Peco does an N gauge one, but I'd rather have a smaller diameter Turntable to turn small narrow gauge locos, such as a Bachmann Baldwin or Mainline Hunslet. 

I've tried googling for one in either OO9 or HOe, but haven't found anything, anyone got any ideas?

Regards,

Simon

Look hard enough, for long enough, you might find an Eggerbahn one from the 1960s, or the better, but even rarer, Joe Works one from the 1980s.

The Eggerbahn one I don’t think ever made it beyond a catalogue photo, but I think someone makes a kit based on that photo. The Joe Works one was a drawing in a catalogue, and maybe, but not certainly, was made and a few sold in Japan.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Funny 1

Hi,

Thanks Guys, I thought it might be a scratch-build job, I can do a 3D Print of one, I’ve got about 100mm to play with. 

It’s just a matter of finding some form of prototype on which to base it!

Simon

Pilton Yard turntable on the L&B is well documented. From (fallible) memory, I think the Peco N/H0m one might be usable to represent that, but it’s possibly too big for your site.

I’m struggling a bit for 24-30” gauge ones in GB, but I can think of Decauville ones.

Thinking French made me find this one, which doesn’t yet seem to be in production, but looks about the right size http://interfer-trains.com/index.php?id_product=46&controller=product

Snd, here is an entire DIY guide http://www.passion-metrique.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10926

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

On looking into catalogues, I found that Koppel gave a better diagram for the sort of thing that you’re after than Decauville, so here it is:

368EF1CE-A236-4C2D-A4C3-9E64179B83D9.jpeg.328763d63ccbc212a29934b0484e06ba.jpeg

There were oodles of variations on this theme from multiple manufacturers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

The TT from Pilton yard is still in use - but narrowed to 15 inch gauge and installed at Hythe on the RHDR - unless anybody can disabuse me of that idea?

Regards

Chris HP1080604.JPG.66152751fb9ce5761f571445a1f1dae0.JPG

I thought the Pilton turntable was the old one at New Romney, and was replaced many years ago (late 1980s?). As far as I am aware, it is now owned by the Lynton & Barnstaple Society.

• Informative/Useful 2

Here’s one I half-finished building from a semi-kit in G scale nearly twenty years ago, when exchange rates and circumstances permitted buying nice things from Germany. One day, I will build the layout it was meant for!

77BA7EB0-52D1-4BEC-ADC4-561E0C8357A4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I thought the Pilton turntable was the old one at New Romney, and was replaced many years ago (late 1980s?). As far as I am aware, it is now owned by the Lynton & Barnstaple Society.

Thanks for the correction which makes sense.

Chris H

Small Turntables are a big gap in the RTR market.   The wagon turntable looks like un necessary complication with the tracks crossing.    The Glynn Valley Tramway (?)  turned its locos each end on every trip so they always ran backwards and as said the L&B had a turntable one end and not at the other! so there are good excuses 

I have sketched out plans for a double deck turntable where all the mechanism, polarity changer (DC)  indexer etc is on  a lower dummy turntable and the visible deck is connected by a shaft.   Still thinking but I have yet to see an RTR turntable I like.

In case anyone was wondering about why a railway might have only one turntable, it does allow coaches to be turned periodically, which is the easiest way of ensuring equal wear on wheel flanges.  For the modeller, this allows you to shunt some coaches and turn one of those, rather than only just ever turning locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I remember an article in CM where someone turned the Walthers N gauge turntable into a small H0 one.

It's almost twice as long as the Peco N turntable, representing 130' in 1:160 scale. The OP wants one smaller than the Peco.

On 25/06/2023 at 19:52, ColinK said:

Try Kitwood Hill models - he makes kits for tirntables large to tiny.

Hi,

Unfortunately, he seems to have gone to just doing 7mm scale stuff (O-16.5, On30), his website doesn't mention 009 at all now.

Simon

AFAIK he rarely kept any stock in: his modus operandi seemed to be to get people to register interest in particular items, then schedule a batch for manufacture and let those interested know that they should place an order.  So most of his stuff seemed to be out of stock most of the time.  He also became somewhat grumpy after he stopped doing non-7mm stuff about people enquiring after kits in those scales.  Bottom line: if you do ask, you might not get a wholly friendly response...