RAILS/Dapol New Class 88 in OO

rembrow

22 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Apart from the flasks, boxes and charter trains have the 88s been used on any other freight trains? 

cheers Craig 

They have also been on Heritage Railway Diesel Galas and Dagenham Car Train

• Thanks 1

On 25/07/2023 at 22:20, TomScrut said:

They used to be used on the Doncaster-Millerhill engineering trains on the ECML, when DRS had the contract. Seems absurd to me (probably me being ignorant) that Colas got the contract for this and put 56s on it after DRS had been using brand new bi modes for it.

As this rather poor snap as one caught me out going through York on Coalfish and Salmon

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/class88/eb418e34a

Paul

• Like 3

On 26/07/2023 at 17:58, adb968008 said:

Back in April I got to use my time machine, I went fast forward into the future.

I arrived in April 2053 at the Severn Valley Railway and captured these images..

DC63D93F-CB7C-4338-AF64-2D9A34281EE0.jpeg

3A0C991B-113A-4062-A4C8-1FC53179FC28.jpeg

That second image - the going away shot.  Doesn't the DBSO look like the front end of a modified AM10 cab ?   Or is it just me ? 

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Covkid said:

That second image - the going away shot.  Doesn't the DBSO look like the front end of a modified AM10 cab ?   Or is it just me ? 

There is a certain resemblence there..

Class 310 EMU number 310106 at Birmingham New Street

Flickr url / not mine

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When work takes place on the WCML DRS divert the Tesco Train via Derby to Doncaster then the ECML - & v.v.

The 88 usually leads as the driver swaps from Electric to Diesel & v.v en route.

Doncaster - Feb 2023

IMG_1488.JPG

York - Feb 2023

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

Edited by Peter749
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Craig1989 said:

In the video that announced the 88 they mentioned 88001 in original livery and 88003 in nts livery. What is the difference between these two liveries. 

cheers Craig 

Cabside logo is the most obvious.

1 hour ago, Craig1989 said:

In the video that announced the 88 they mentioned 88001 in original livery and 88003 in nts livery. What is the difference between these two liveries. 

cheers Craig 

My photo of 88 with NTS/DRS cabside logo at Gresty Bridge with similar view of Class 68 showing the previous version for comparison.

IMG_6069.jpeg

IMG_6071.jpeg

IMG_6067.jpeg

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Cabside logo is the most obvious.

And finger trap warning stickers on each door, but these are the only two differences I can see.

Some Flickr links:

88001 Carlisle Kingmoor, DRS Open day, Saturday 22 July 2017

88003 Genesis @ Carlisle

From the Dapol artwork it appears 001 is the only one without the stickers.

Thanks,

Jack,

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jack374 said:

And finger trap warning stickers on each door, but these are the only two differences I can see.

Some Flickr links:

88003 Genesis @ Carlisle

Thanks,

Jack,

I note the previous poster's pic of 88002, it has the door stickers in a different location......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Some Flickr links:

88001 Carlisle Kingmoor, DRS Open day, Saturday 22 July 2017

88003 Genesis @ Carlisle

Thanks,

Jack,

Thanks for sharing the photos.  The only other differences I have spotted so far, at least on 88003, are the inclusion of a CCTV warning graphic (in white) at the bottom of the cab door on the number 1 end (below lower handle), and a green graphic between the loco number and what I assume is the cover for the sandbox.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Are we still on target for Q2/2024 for these?

Hi Mick

That is still the plan at the moment. We should be seeing the decorated samples this month and should have a better idea where things are.

Fingers crossed! 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Brian-1c said:

No idea if it was raised earlier in this thread, but I'm asking here anyway. Is there an N gauge version planned ?

No plans at present, I'm afraid. With the Cost of Living Crisis affecting sales, times are hard across the industry.

Where before we might have released one in N automatically, now it is very much a case of seeing how the OO sales go first.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2024 at 15:56, Adam1701D said:

Hi Mick

That is still the plan at the moment. We should be seeing the decorated samples this month and should have a better idea where things are.

Fingers crossed! 🙂

Hi Adam 

how are things progressing with the decorated samples this month, just be good to see them 

kind regards 

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for them, I'm afraid.

I am experiencing a mixture of excitement and dread about these. Has to have been the most difficult livery I have done, with the multiple levels of shading and patterns, not to mention the numerous warning stickers. It's going to be a stunning loco.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

Has to have been the most difficult livery I have done, with the multiple levels of shading and patterns, not to mention the numerous warning stickers. It's going to be a stunning loco.

Having done a little bit of work with graphics in the past, I can fully appreciate the level of complexity of what you are designing and how demanding it is, especially when trying to scale 88010's livery down to 1/76th scale!  I don't doubt that it will be beautifully recreated and it will look lovely on a layout.