RAILS/Dapol New Class 88 in OO

rembrow

9 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Do we have a photo topic for the 88s? I've managed to take a surprising number of the 10 here in York (electric hauled non passenger trains are rare) including plenty of details. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/class88

Paul

They do also get through York from time to time with FNAs going for wheel turning at Donny.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I received the email at lunchtime today and it certainly came as a nice surprise.  I was wondering if the Class 88 would be produced at some point and it is pleasing to hear that it will, but the question remains which loco to go for?...

Would I be correct in saying that only 10 locomotives of the class have been built (so far)?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

I received the email at lunchtime today and it certainly came as a nice surprise.  I was wondering if the Class 88 would be produced at some point and it is pleasing to hear that it will, but the question remains which loco to go for?...

Would I be correct in saying that only 10 locomotives of the class have been built (so far)?

Yep only 10 so far , and I think that’s likely to remain total as it looks like we’ve moved onto electric/ diesel/battery  versions now . Classes  93 and 99? 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

They do also get through York from time to time with FNAs going for wheel turning at Donny.

Yes annoyingly I always miss them, but not annoyed to have missed the 88, it is the FNAs I would like to record. Anyway, my photos of them in action is them double headed with an 68 on diverted Mossend to Daventry Tesco trains (and reverse)

Paul

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Yes annoyingly I always miss them, but not annoyed to have missed the 88, it is the FNAs I would like to record. Anyway, my photos of them in action is them double headed with an 68 on diverted Mossend to Daventry Tesco trains (and reverse)

Paul

Yes I had a look at your pics, thanks. I expect if I get one that's what mine will spend it's time doing. Already have plenty of 68 and megafrets!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, E100 said:

Pretty sure Revolution Trains are covering that. As they are both Stadler it would have made sense.

And in any case, a 93 is a very different looking animal to a 68/88, I doubt if there's much in common between them.

6 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Do Dapol normally/often use plux22s? Would it be a requirement for the servo or just to stop people fitting HM7000s?

I think Dapol only use Next18 decoders in their N Gauge models.

Plus, the HM7000's don't meet the Next18 standard for decoder size and Dapol have their own decoder brand.

Regards,

John P

11 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Do Dapol normally/often use plux22s? Would it be a requirement for the servo or just to stop people fitting HM7000s?

Nothing to do with servos, Bachmann 90 and AS 92 are both 21 pin. You do need a specific decoder for the servo control (limited to ESU or Zimo I believe) but sounds like if you buy DCC ready you don't get the servo anyway.

It's probably just progress, as per why new Bachmann tooling uses it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Next18 decoders in their N Gauge

Very helpful..

The class _68_ in OO I own has a 21pin socket, poking around the other Dapol locos (N,OO and O) I have I dont seem to come up with a plux22.

(Hornby do 8, 18 and 21 pin versions of HM7000, yes the 18 pin is too big but the others pass 

Edited by PeterStiles
Tom gave a good enough answer
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

And in any case, a 93 is a very different looking animal to a 68/88, I doubt if there's much in common between them.

I agree. If there were any parallels in appearance to be drawn then it's more between 93 and 99; but the 93 is Bo-Bo and the 99 is Co-Co so would probably be completely separate projects anyway.

I expect Dapol would have been able to reuse some CAD for the 88, bogies, wheels etc are all the same IIRC. A lot of the detail bits may be the same too (headlight moulds etc.)

2 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

Thank you @Legend, much appreciated.

That doesn't mean to say that there won't be other liveries in the future though.

IIRC DRS own the front end design, so even if another operator wanted 88s instead of the newer ones, would still probably need to be a new class.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That doesn't mean to say that there won't be other liveries in the future though.

IIRC DRS own the front end design, so even if another operator wanted 88s instead of the newer ones, would still probably need to be a new class.

Thanks @TomScrut, that is useful to know and I appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Yes I went for this one too 😊

👏👏 well done and thanks Rails and Dapol.

By the way @RailsOfSheffield on the website just now the preorder link is displaying a deposit of £0 rather than £30 (see photo)

IMG_7645.png

same issue at my end when trying to pre order a pair of DCC ready ones

• RMweb Gold

Really cool announcement, all things considered the price is ok.

Rails is really pushing the boat when it comes to AC traction, 80,88 and now 89.

if these can be viable, nothing stops the early classes imo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AMJ said:

Might be feasible that the forthcoming 93 tri mode loco could be similar to the 88 so that could be a further development.

Apologies for commenting on another manufacturer’s thread but we’re already doing the 93. 

Cheers Mike

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

a welcome announcement.

Presumably the chassis, aside from underframe equipment, will be identical to the 68?

It would be interesting to know the % of common CAD. Tooling will be new I expect as it's more practical to have one set together for a given loco, but at a component level I expect there'd be a fair amount of commonality, at least a very good start.

• RMweb Gold

This is an all-new loco and does not share any parts from the Class 68, despite looking very similar. The 88 is slightly longer than the 68 and, apart from the cab ends and bogies, not much else is the same. The Engineering Prototype is stunning, especially the roof detail.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1