RAILS/Dapol New Class 88 in OO

rembrow

16 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

Still waiting for them, I'm afraid.

I am experiencing a mixture of excitement and dread about these. Has to have been the most difficult livery I have done, with the multiple levels of shading and patterns, not to mention the numerous warning stickers. It's going to be a stunning loco.

Well at least they have they right person on it.

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2024 at 22:17, Adam1701D said:

Still waiting for them, I'm afraid.

I am experiencing a mixture of excitement and dread about these. Has to have been the most difficult livery I have done, with the multiple levels of shading and patterns, not to mention the numerous warning stickers. It's going to be a stunning loco.

Hi Adam 

yes it will be very good indeed to see the decorated sample I am sure it will be stunning and greatly enjoyed by our railway community 

• Agree 1

Hello, 

Really looking forward to seeing the decorated samples and any update on this project. 

Re pre-ordering, am I correct that its £30 on pre-order and remainder prior to despatch?

Many Thanks in advance, 

2 hours ago, Pegleg90 said:

Re pre-ordering, am I correct that its £30 on pre-order and remainder prior to despatch?

Yes, a non-refundable deposit of £30 per loco is required at the time of raising the pre-order.  The balance including postage will be charged prior to dispatch.  I believe there is an option to choose the desired shipping option during the order process, but if not then just send them an email and they can adjust it for you.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Adam1701D said:

Just to keep everyone in the loop, it looks like we will not see the deco samples until after Chinese New Year - probably late February.

As I've got one on order, really looking forward to seeing the samples.  I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but roughly how long before the samples are approved and they arrive at Rails, and into my grubby little paws.

13 minutes ago, TravisM said:

As I've got one on order, really looking forward to seeing the samples.  I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but roughly how long before the samples are approved and they arrive at Rails, and into my grubby little paws.

I believe the original advert stated Q2 2024, but as there is a slight delay with the decorated samples, then I'm guessing late Q2 or early Q3.  That's just my guess, but @Adam1701D may be able to offer a more definitive timescale.

Edited by Sweetling Park
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Any estimate I give will be likely to jinx the actual arrival, so I would rather not speculate at present. Once we get and approve the deco samples, we should be able to get an accurate assessment from the factory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 weeks later...

Been on the Fence about this one since the announcement of this, but even the Excitement didn't persuade me due to a distinct lack of Disposable income. However SWMBO Convinced me to take the plunge and go for one. I just hope it will run with my 68 as I don't use DCC.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Been on the Fence about this one since the announcement of this, but even the Excitement didn't persuade me due to a distinct lack of Disposable income. However SWMBO Convinced me to take the plunge and go for one. I just hope it will run with my 68 as I don't use DCC.

My 68's happily run in pairs, on DC.

I can't imagine the drivetrain on the 88's being different to the 68. (why redesign something that is suitable & works perfectly well?)

Like yourself, I'll find out when they arrive....😆

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 00:22, TRAILRAGE said:

I've been looking for one of them for ages!

No, not the 88, the SWMBO who actually encourages spending money on the hobby - double check for no hidden terms and conditions about a future spend on something else 🤣

Looking forward to seeing samples of these models... I am hoping to get the only one I am aware of that traversed the GWML, on a railtour ('The Springtime Cornishman' I think...) with 68034 in April 2019 - i.e. 88003 'Genesis'.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The new batch of 68s which were due Q1 have been pushed back to July/Aug apparently.  Presumably the second batch of 59s too as still not seen those samples.  Guessing these will slide too.

• RMweb Gold

The 88 samples are now due in March. There was a bit of a delay due to the factory perfecting the servo-driven pantograph (which now looks great).

The Class 59s should be ready for deco samples soon - the artwork has been refined and there have been changes to the lighting and silencer mouldings this time around. 

That's it - I'm off to Benidorm for a week!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

That's it - I'm off to Benidorm for a week!

How will we cope - no news for a whole week!  Welcome to the world of social media, and instant news and updates and reactions!    I hope you enjoy your time away - I’m sure you deserve it.

John S

• 3 weeks later...