Z21 Black - What handsets are you using?

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about jumping and getting a Z21, but am not at all convinced of a smartphone as a controller in an exhibition environment. What wired handsets are everyone using - what is actually available and what is the functionality like?

I'd love to keep my NCE powercab/power pro handsets, but I guess that's not an option

• RMweb Premium

You can use all lokmouse variants, or Fleischmann controller as well as Lenz controllers. For the Lenz ones you need an adapter (different connector) but this one is available for instance from Chris at A&H for reasonable money. I have one in my layout Donnersbachkogel.  It is a very neat solution, looks professional and gives you the opportunity to connect 3 handsets without crawling under the layout (were my Z21 lives...). I have been on 2 shows so far, I never had a problem with the WIFI control, so the handsets were staying in the box.  Will be on show with Donnersbachkogel next month and I hope the Lenz and Fleischmann handsets stay again in the box...   The DIN sockets are for the Lenz handsets, the Western plug is for Roco / Fleischmann handsets. 

lenz-80152-la152-adaptor-including-front-panel-2610-p.jpg.a0b6dcdc282637527772da62262c3232.jpg

Lenz 80152 LA152 Adaptor including Front Panel

This adapter is used for connecting further input devices to XpressNet.

the LED is used for controlling the XpressNet voltage

two five-pin DIN sockets and one Western plug at the front for connecting manual controls to XpressNet

terminal screws for connecting XpressNet connections

Edited by Vecchio
typo

32 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Thinking about jumping and getting a Z21, but am not at all convinced of a smartphone as a controller in an exhibition environment. What wired handsets are everyone using - what is actually available and what is the functionality like?

I'd love to keep my NCE powercab/power pro handsets, but I guess that's not an option

Roco list well over 40 different handsets that connect to a Z21, across both LocoNet and Xpressnet protcols.   Those will work within the limits of the handset.  (There will be more that are newer than the list provided).  

https://www.z21.eu/en/products/z21/connections-z21

A NCE PowerCab system (or PowerPro system) could connect, but only through the "sniffer" port into the Z21, so you need the full DCC command station for that option, not just a handset.     It should work,   but no guarantees because the NCE DCC signal does weird things with a variable pre-amble length before sending data packets. 

The Yamorc system designer was talking about including NCE in the protocols his new system will support (successor system to that which used to be offered by Digikeijs)

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I have been using Uhlenbrock Daisy 2 throttles with a LocoNet command station for 6 years now - loco control is very good - wired via Loconet and wired through the Uhlenbrock Funkmaster box on 868 mHz - haven’t had any issues at exhibitions big and small.  

The new Daisy 2 WLAN can work with Z21 protocol - I’ve no experience of this though.

Edited by bandmbill

• RMweb Gold

I use the Roco multimaus in the X bus socket and Piko Smartcontrol light handset in the L bus socket. They can both be set up for individual loco numbers or a scrolling memory list. Both are good although the Piko is a little chunkier, something to consider if you have small hands. 
I also use phones and the wireless version of the multimaus. We did find the wifi maus got swamped at Warley and struggled to reconnect, we guess due to the lower power wifi as they are limited by toy regs. The phones and tablets were unaffected and we just swapped to the wired handsets with long leads for those that prefer a dial. 

IMG_5892.jpeg.cbf4131ae8b01f35881505fa220f740e.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I use a wired Lenz LH101 connected to the Xpressnet port via a Lenz LA152. Originally had a Lenz LZV100 and retained the LH101 when I replaced it with a black Z21. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

I use the Roco multimaus in the X bus socket and Piko Smartcontrol light handset in the L bus socket. They can both be set up for individual loco numbers or a scrolling memory list. Both are good although the Piko is a little chunkier, something to consider if you have small hands. 
I also use phones and the wireless version of the multimaus. We did find the wifi maus got swamped at Warley and struggled to reconnect, we guess due to the lower power wifi as they are limited by toy regs. The phones and tablets were unaffected and we just swapped to the wired handsets with long leads for those that prefer a dial. 

IMG_5892.jpeg.cbf4131ae8b01f35881505fa220f740e.jpeg

The Piko is a Daisy 2 with a bigger enclosure - you can update it and edit the loco roster using the Uhlenbrock software - the Daisy is a bit less of a handful…..

You can still connect your Android phone or, better still, tablet to your Z21 router by wired ethernet lan connection. All you need is a usb-c to ethernet adaptor (for about a tenner on Amazon) plus any old ethernet cable. Remember to switch wifi off on your device first before plugging in. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bandmbill said:

The Piko is a Daisy 2 with a bigger enclosure - you can update it and edit the loco roster using the Uhlenbrock software - the Daisy is a bit less of a handful…..

Yep but also a bit more to buy which is where the red multimaus is good as a budget option but lacks the higher number of function controls of the Piko / Daisy. 

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Yep but also a bit more to buy which is where the red multimaus is good as a budget option but lacks the higher number of function controls of the Piko / Daisy. 

Paul,

The Roco Multimaus provides up to F31 - surely this is enough for anyone?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Paul,

The Roco Multimaus provides up to F31 - surely this is enough for anyone?

I thought there were only 20 but on re-reading I see you double tap for up to 28. Cheers Iain

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Vecchio said:

Handset prices are eye watering.  I am happy that I have mine... 

What about the solution by Jamesed? Tablet connection via ethernet cable. 

Handsets aren’t cheap but the price is comparable to a loco with a decent sound chip fitted so not unreasonable….