London Bridge (at the end of the 20thC)

grahame

• RMweb Premium

I often look at the various buildings in the vicinity of the station on my way to and from work on Southwark Street with you in mind! As others have said, they're stunning, so another one keen to watch this develop!

• Thanks 1

A little bit of background planning info:

The planned period that the model will represent is the late 70s to early 90s. Although this is probably a little excessively optimistic time frame for a historic model railway, it conveniently falls between the two major rebuilds that the real station has undergone in the last century. Firstly, the infamous 1972 to 1978 rebuild under British Rail, and then the 21st century redevelopment in 2012 to 2018 under Railtrack. And the period conveniently covers the end of the interesting British Rail blue and blue/grey scene, the London and South East 'jaffa cake' sector period, as well as the introduction of the swish red, white and blue 'toothpaste' livery of the Network SouthEast period.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing you bringing all the beautifully crafted little gems together. I am especially keen to see it as I knew the area well in the late 20th century. Doesn't that sound a weird description of an era, when you have lived through it. There's a lot of hard work ahead, but it will be worth it, I am sure. Best wishes, Phil.

London Bridge station 7 11 2006 4net.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Swish? You really are joking I hope.

Nope. Swish, as in impressively smart and fashionable. I liked it. It was bright, refreshing and new. 

Edited by grahame
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Will the layout be a permanent fixture, or will you be able to exhibit it? 

It'll be permanently installed in the shed. I've got too old for taking layouts to exhibitions these days.

• Friendly/supportive 6

At least with your chosen period you avoid having to build the Shard but No 1 London Bridge was built during the period and would make an interesting project.

As others have said if your earlier models are anything to go by this will be an interesting project to follow.

Last thought you could always model the NSE open day in 1988 https://www.kentrail.org.uk/London Bridge 1988.htm

• Like 2

A little bit more wood hacking this morning. And a start made on the baseboard framework for the west end return loops. 

DSC04943red.jpg.39da8fc244b583950a2726e5f1cc434a.jpg

It's a little higher than the scenic baseboard so that the trains run can straight on to (and off) the viaduct height with no slopes. You can see that it lines up with the bridge across Borough High Street abutments (Just under the right hand side of the window).

The wider area allows for a double return loop from Peco No3 and No4  radius setrack curves (currently on order). The entry, along the wall under the window, will be angled roughly in line with the wood moulding strip lying on top. But that requires more wood mangling and I'm now going to have a shower to get ready to stroll down to the local for a few sherbets.

• Like 19

This morning a little more work on the 'off scene' west end return loop baseboard. But now I need to go out for some more supplies. I've used a complete box of 200 screws and I need more and some panel pins. I'd also like to get some grey emulsion to paint the wall behind the scenic section - the London skies are often grey. Snag is I need to wait until the window cleaner has been.

DSC04946red.jpg.4255d14c90dc0292689da2137dbf8953.jpg

• Like 16

I got some grey emulsion yesterday and have painted a first coat this morning. It's going to need another coat and looks a little dark but seems to be drying lighter (maybe it's a stormy day - and will help with the urban grot look). I'd like to fade it downwards to a lighter finish - maybe some Halfords aerosol grey and white primer will help with blending by gentle spraying.

Meanwhile I'll watch the current women's world cup footie game while it dries. Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

Left the paint to dry overnight and this morning it's not too bad. It's dried lighter, probably more acceptable, although some touching up is required. I'll try and get that done today. And I'm in two minds over whether to dust some white on along the bottom - skies tend to get lighter towards the ground/horizon. The pic below has the wrong colour temperature balance set on the camera but it gives an idea of how things are going:

DSC04966red.jpg.4c75fc7a7b93de15230bbbbde4dda216.jpg

• Like 14