London Bridge (at the end of the 20thC)

grahame

40 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I assume that this local station wont be an exhibition layout ?

It's a permanent home (shed) based layout. I was finding the lugging around of exhibition layouts too much, although I am involved in (slowly) building an exhibition layout also based on a real location. But that is (currently) exceptionally light weight and there is a group of us.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With it being very cold out, I've not been out to the railway house recently apart from occasionally just to turn the heater on and then later to turn it off. However, today I managed to get some suitable wood for the viaduct track deck supports that is supplied cut to suitable imperial measurements (non of that metric malarkey stuff).

And I've turned my attention to a block (in front of the viaduct at the right/east end) that includes a triangular building (see my building card structures thread) and hopefully a rough representation of the Bermondsey Sarsons vinegar brewery that I can build indoors.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently watched a YouTube video where it was suggested there are three approaches to layout design ; prototype, proto-lance and free-lance. I liked the term proto-lance, but I guess it can cover a wide range. For example I'd like to think that my London Bridge layout is somewhere between Prototype and Proto-lance and hopefully closer to prototype. Well, I would, wouldn't I?

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

First time viewer of this thread - amazing buildings all around!  I will have to peruse your other thread in detail. 

One thing that struck me from your last photo above is the sheer scale of railway structures when seen among "regular" sized city buildings.  Seeing the gap waiting to be filled really brings that home. 

Fantastic stuff. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That building on the corner of Borough High Street and St Thomas Street is now a nice boulangerie, Orée, I get my lunch there a couple of times a week, and I can’t walk up the approach to the station without thinking about your layout!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, njee20 said:

That building on the corner of Borough High Street and St Thomas Street is now a nice boulangerie, Orée, I get my lunch there a couple of times a week, and I can’t walk up the approach to the station without thinking about your layout!

The corner shop used to be a cobblers (key cutting, shoe repairs, leather cutting, etc) called Kehoes back in the 70s. More recently it became a vaping shop. I checked out on-line and it looks like Oree is a chain of boulangeries and has taken over Kehoes and the newsagents next door. On the other corner, further up towards the overbridge, used to be a Wimpy fast food joint. If things don't change they'll stay as they are.

I hope they're not bad thoughts about the layout while walking to the station. Wouldn't want to give you nightmares. ;-)

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

Hi Grahame. Always great to see updates on your layout. 

I wanted to ask about your approach to point control and how you'd replace failed point motors? 

It looks like the track bed is raised above a solid baseboard preventing easy access from below? Does that mean you'd have to lift the whole of the track bed off to effect a repair?

Of course someone may well point out that "there are no points"! 

All the best. Andy

The plan is that the points will be on sections of the viaduct that can be lifted out (to wire, repair and work on) and fit back between the parapets and fixed section of the viaduct track bed with no points.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Like the office and brewery block, and the biscuit factory building, which are effectively separate sub assemblies that are not yet fixed in place, the slum/bombsite clearance and warehouse will also be made as discrete separate models indoors so that they can be added to the layout later. I've starting planning them with rough mock-ups:

DSC06067red.jpg.d5eea4f0df00766aeb1b7c93a3bc5ba6.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2023 at 19:38, grahame said:

I'm currently working on the Crucifix Lane block (indoors) which includes an office building and a representation of the nearby vinegar brewery. See my thread 'Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)' for details of the structures build and progress. The pics below show where it fits on the front of the layout;

I am sure you have photos of Sarson's. It was still going STRONG, 😝, when I started my first job's in-service training in Tooley Street., in the late '60s. These are after it shut down. I have included a couple that show the frontage all glammed up for the 21st century Bermondsey citizens.

Sarson’s Vinegar Brewery - Tanner Street - Bermondsey - late 20th century vinegar vats.jpg

Sarson’s Vinegar Brewery - Tower Bridge Road - Bermondsey - late 20th century N.jpg

Sarson’s Vinegar Brewery - Tower Bridge Road - Bermondsey - late 20th century Offices & entrance.jpg

Sarson's former officesTower Bridge Road  21 12 2005.jpg

Tower Bridge Rd site of Sarson's factory 19 7 2006.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...