Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why do you pause before buying a model thats of interest ?

Why do you NOT buy, or Postpone buying a model of interest ? - Whats more important to you ?, What puts you off something you would want ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you NOT buy, or Postpone buying a model of interest ? - Whats more important to you ?, What puts you off something you would want ?

• Quality (assembly, running ability etc)
    • Accuracy (errors in detail / research)
    • Weathering (factory finished non-pristine elements)
    • Duplication (ive already got one, from previous generation thats good enough)
    • Value (The price vs expectation of product for that price)
    • Budgetary reasons (wait till pay day etc)
    • Competitive (head to head toolings, expectation or price drop etc)
    • Not relevant to me (you didn't read the question)
    • Company (who is making it)
    • Other (maybe put into the discussion)

Well, answer is "other" mainly, I'm just in-filling different groups of stock now. Space (and running it all) is the problem.  I'm concerned that I've found locos that I didn't know I had and can't find locos I think I've got...so more sidings could be the answer - or not buying too much new stuff!  For instance, an LSWR cross country set would be just great, but then there's all those Maunsell  coaches I've already got.

This issue applies to second hand stuff as well, if something you want is up for sale how much do you bid or pay?

Martin Lewis the money guru has a mantra,

If you're skint,

Do I need it?

Can I afford it?

Have I checked prices elsewhere?

If not, don't buy it.

If you're not skint,

Will I use it?

Is it worth it?

Have I checked prices elsewhere?

If not, don't buy it.

But...if a T3 came along, or indeed a T3,  (see what I did there) out would come the credit card.  And that's the truth.

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For me it is primarily wanting to avoid just accumulating stuff, it is so easy to get sucked into a 'oohh, that's nice, I like that, I'll have one' mentality and ending up with a load of stuff which while nice isn't really stuff I'm likely to use on a layout or ever have room to display. It sucks up the modelling budget and causes issues with where to keep it all. I have been there and had a massive clear out a few years ago. I have some expensive tastes such as HO brass but probably spend less than many RMWeb members as I don't buy much. I have most of the Japanese N I want, and am happy to take a slow wait and see approach to the Japanese, Chinese and North American brass stuff I'd like. 

There's a widely shared bit of advice when buying anything, which is not to rush and fall into the trap of thinking you must buy or miss out. Manufacturers are pushing this with marketing lines like 'buyers remorse', you may well miss a sought after model by taking a step back, you'll also may well avoid wasting a lot of money or ending up with stuff which begs the question of why you bought it down the line. Unless it really is your holy grail model then if it is available today it'll probably be available some other time (I say that as someone who collects stuff for which production is barely into double figures) and on the whole it's not like there's a shortage of model trains to buy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

For me it is primarily wanting to avoid just accumulating stuff, it is so easy to get sucked into a 'oohh, that's nice, I like that, I'll have one' mentality and ending up with a load of stuff which while nice isn't really stuff I'm likely to use on a layout or ever have room to display. It sucks up the modelling budget and causes issues with where to keep it all. I have been there and had a massive clear out a few years ago. I have some expensive tastes such as HO brass but probably spend less than many RMWeb members as I don't buy much. I have most of the Japanese N I want, and am happy to take a slow wait and see approach to the Japanese, Chinese and North American brass stuff I'd like. 

There's a widely shared bit of advice when buying anything, which is not to rush and fall into the trap of thinking you must buy or miss out. Manufacturers are pushing this with marketing lines like 'buyers remorse', you may well miss a sought after model by taking a step back, you'll also may well avoid wasting a lot of money or ending up with stuff which begs the question of why you bought it down the line. Unless it really is your holy grail model then if it is available today it'll probably be available some other time (I say that as someone who collects stuff for which production is barely into double figures) and on the whole it's not like there's a shortage of model trains to buy.

The FOMO thing has been done to death now.

Its become very clear in the last few years, if something sells out to high demand, another run will follow, sometimes with improvements on the initial one.

Succinctly “limited edition” models are much less prevalent now.. replaced with “limited run” which leaves the door open for more of the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/07/2023 at 22:33, MyRule1 said:

Learnt from experience. I have a number of items purchased for the reason in the question but have sat on the shelf and are rarely, if ever, run.

There's lots out there of interest to me in both n and OO but in all cases they would not fit into my current layout and despite my username I cannot use rule 1 to justify the expense.

Adding to my own reply. Having nearly finished the quayside diorama section on my layout, I found I had nothing suitable to run on it. So after many years of putting the purchase off, today,  I finally purchased a J70 Tram loco.

• Like 2

I often get perilously close being seduced by “it’s a good price”, either buy it now or auction.  Recently it was some rather fine Hornby Stanier 50’ vans.  They went very cheaply in two auctions.  I even sat there watching the auctions tick through.  But I didn’t bid; they really didn’t fit in my collection.  What really was the pleasure in placing a winning bid for something I fundamentally didn’t want?

I suppose I now have a notion of a “good buy” which is that it is a good price and it fills a hole in my collection.  Doesn’t always work.  I, too, have the beautiful Heljan Metropolitan electric locomotive which has no useful function.

• Like 5