Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why do you pause before buying a model thats of interest ?

Why do you NOT buy, or Postpone buying a model of interest ? - Whats more important to you ?, What puts you off something you would want ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you NOT buy, or Postpone buying a model of interest ? - Whats more important to you ?, What puts you off something you would want ?

• Quality (assembly, running ability etc)
    • Accuracy (errors in detail / research)
    • Weathering (factory finished non-pristine elements)
    • Duplication (ive already got one, from previous generation thats good enough)
    • Value (The price vs expectation of product for that price)
    • Budgetary reasons (wait till pay day etc)
    • Competitive (head to head toolings, expectation or price drop etc)
    • Not relevant to me (you didn't read the question)
    • Company (who is making it)
    • Other (maybe put into the discussion)

• RMweb Gold

Weve all done it..

You see it, you've been waiting for it for ever, its relevant or or interest to you.

But then when it emerges.. procrastination… you don't pull the trigger.

For some reason you leave it behind,  relegate its place in the priority list.

Why ?

Please put as many as may apply, but keep it focussed, to say your top 3 or 4, dont just check them all.

I’m sure everyone has applied everyone to something at some point, but what theme recurrs most as reason to wait ?

i’m just interested to see others thoughts.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I selected "other". All down to procrastination, dithering, whatever.

Then suddenly, they've all gone!

And then they start turning up on eBay, for eye-watering prices, from all the usual suspects!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have ticked "other" because if I hesitate in purchasing (and for the right models I don't), it is because I have to ask myself if I want a model or if I actually need it for one of my (too many already) projects.

• Like 9

'Other' Prioritisation on basis of relevance. I expect most of us have a budget, mine is allocated preferentially to the models most relevant to my modelling interest. When releases 'come in a  rush' lower priority items are squeezed out - deferred. Sometimes this becomes permanent, because a more relevant item supersedes it, so prioritisation is the reason for no purchase.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Pretty much all of my pauses have been to think again whether I really want it. And you know what? Most of the time when I've paused, I haven't missed not getting the thing (although a couple of times, I've been lucky enough to buy one later on).

Now, if someone were to bring out a live steam Metropolitan A Class in Gauge 1, I'd find it very hard to resit. I've got no use for it, and it will cost a fortune of course, but how could I not have one? I don't think I could resist an H Class either, for that matter.

Since I seem to be on a Metropolitan theme, I'll mention one non-purchase: the Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo. I don't model 00 ot all , nor any other flavour of 4 mm, but the Metropolitan Bo-Bo was very tempting indeed. If Heljan (or anyone else) had brought out a set of Dreadoughts to go with it, I don't think I could have resisted. But what's the use of a loco without carriages? Yes, I knew of the Radley kits, but the thought of assembling and painting up to six carriage kits easily puts a damper on what would have been an impulse purchase.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

'Other' Prioritisation on basis of relevance. I expect most of us have a budget, mine is allocated preferentially to the models most relevant to my modelling interest. When releases 'come in a  rush' lower priority items are squeezed out - deferred. Sometimes this becomes permanent, because a more relevant item supersedes it, so prioritisation is the reason for no purchase.

I never considered volume in that equation..

but yes ive noticed a tendency of models arriving in waves… typically / generically ive seen bulk arrivals..

Januaryish,

A month or so after Chinese New Year 

Circa May

August

mid-November to mid- December

I know in the past ive had some very expensive Christmas purchases when everything landed at once, and again in January when everything follows it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Head over heart for me. 
Heart…buy Hornby Bulleid coaches from Kernow for £17.99 each.

Head…. hang on, you have 18 Bachmann examples.

Edited by PhilH
  • Funny 6

Another other from me.

Learnt from experience. I have a number of items purchased for the reason in the question but have sat on the shelf and are rarely, if ever, run.

There's lots out there of interest to me in both n and OO but in all cases they would not fit into my current layout and despite my username I cannot use rule 1 to justify the expense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I ticked 1/2/9

Without turning this into a manufacturer bitchfest I have always been interested in one particular item and it has been produced. But because of those three elements and varying concerns within them I haven’t bought one. It is actually a pretty well regarded model, and people I respect have positive opinions on it, this offsetting much of the concerns of 1/2/9, but despite this and still being interested in one, I’ve not pulled the trigger on it. 

Not sure why.

Would I buy it if made by someone else? I’d certainly consider it, and would compare the two.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 2

"Budgetary reasons" for me, given I'm already interested in whatever XYZ model it is.

"Can I afford it" trumps "how badly do I want it?" ... well most of the time, anyway. One benefit of O Scale is that prices do curb 'Impulse buying' to a great extent.

Doesn't prevent it altogether, mind.... *cough* Ellis Clark Wickham Trolley *cough* 🙄🙄😳😳😳😂😂

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Ticked 1/2/5/6

My Modelling Philosophy is relevant to this, along with a very limited disposable income (I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left).  I do not have a layout or a model railway, I have a real railwy, serving a real mining community that never existed in a real location that does, only small and in the 1950s.  I have conversations with the little 1950s people, but I'm on medication for that.  Now, that approach makes some of the decisions for me.  I have no interest in buying locos or coaches that never ran in that particular area in those days, and therefore am not even tempted in, say, a 14xx or an 08; if it wasn't at Tondu between 1948 and 1958, I have no use for it. 

Coaches are as far as possible correct to location and period, but some compromises have had to be made as Comet kits are time-consuming and close the limit of my ability comfortzone.  I have a couple of Hornby Collett 57' suburbans which are not correct but too good to miss out on, and a couple of cut'n'shuts from Airfix E140s into an all-third and a brake 3rd.  A K's A31 autotrailer is in the process of being worked up into a layout lookalike representation of A10 W 28 W to run with Diagram N W 37 W when it arrives.

This strict and proscribed sourcing of items is challenged when it comes to colliery locos, as I have free reign here, and will be further challenged when it comes to the Rapido 44xx.  All my WR locos are from Tondu shed, and Tondu had this class on the books until 1953, slap in the middle of my timeframe, to use on the vicious curvature of the Porthcawl branch.  I have no evidence that any of them ever ventured into the valleys north of Tondu, but I would like one.  Common sense will probably prevail, but another Porthcawl engine, 3100, did venture photographically into the mountain fastnesses (pictured at Abergwynfi in 1951, and it doesn't get much more 'mountain fastness' than Abergwynfi*); I would buy an RTR model of this engine.  RTR wishlisting for my railway; 31xx, 2721 to current standards, old Hornby not good enough, 1854, Diagram A10 and TVR twinset autotrailers, South Wales 57' bowended non-gangwayed Colletts, ditto flatenders.  Some of those are pretty unlikely to ever materialise, and some can be done with kits, in time.

Goods and minerals are pretty much anything goes so long as it is within period, and I've tried to keep the proportions of fitted to unfitted, vans to opens, and steel minerals to 7-plankers within bounds.  I have enough, and will probably not buy many more, though decent RTR GW opens that are not china clay wagons will tempt me, and I reckon a Parkside LNER plate would go well.  NPCCS is also varied and eclectic, and I have plenty and need no more but a decent RTR LMS Stove R would also pique my interest.  Should the Colliery and it's rececption loop ever be extended, which would need fy roads extending as well, I'd be in the market for more minerals in longer trains.

*Unless you consider North Rhondda Colliery at Glyncorrwg.  Now that's a mountain fastness's mountain fastness...

• Like 3

I find myself thinking of the advertising ploy "Hurry - selling fast - only a few left", which becomes self fulfilling.

I have albums full of First Day Covers & Presentation Packs (stamps). Whatever it was, I got it and now wonder why, 'cos I don't look at them.

I could easily do the same with everything sparkly in OO, so I must take time out to ask "Why?"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Exported to Canada which is North America.  Plenty of videos on youtube of private "speeders" running on short lines in absence of traffic.

The Wickham suits my UK interest, & yes there were similar speeders in the USA, too. Not sure if any were actual Wickhams, & I'd have to ignore the scale discrepency (1:43 vs 1:48) although I do that with details & road vehicles anyway, but I'd have to fit DCC, as my UK stuff is 12v DC & my US stuff DCC.

The Ellis Clark Wickham knocks the Lionel & Bachmann/Williams 3-rail speeder toys for six anyway. 😁👍

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Other. I've bought too much stuff already.  

yep I can relate to that, and @The Johnsterphilosophy is a good one to have, I'm trying to keep to specific interests, and this month my last forty quid I have left unspent before pay day has just gone on the LMS inspection saloon on offer at @Derails Modelsand too good to resist, I've been eyeing one up for a while and so splashed the cash 👍

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ve put budgetary reasons but equally it could be value 

There are a couple of limited edition models of interest that I’d love to have, 47363 as it was a loco that eluded my dad and I for years and 37418 as I drove it earlier in the year, both available from kernow, both are the super duper new tooling variants, the issue is they would end up mainly being eye candy in my display cabinets and I quite simply can’t afford to have £500 of locos sat there looking pretty, admittedly I’ve had 37418 in and out if my basket at kernow more times than you can shake a stick at but I can never bring myself to click the buy now button 

I do very few ‘impulse buys’ now too, only yesterday I was looking in my rails of Sheffield basket as to what I have on preorder and am seriously considering cancelling my rapido sound titfield pack, extra coach and crumps bus as those were impulse clicks and the more I think about it I don’t know exactly what I’d do with it other than have it on display, and again it’s £500 worth of ‘looking at train’ 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I imagine myself as the board of the independent Dimbath Valley Railway Company meeting in the snug of The Forge/Y Gelli.  As the branch is run by BR(W), the items they can procure from the catalogue are those available at Tondu.  They have to provide an auto service to Bridgend, Tondu tells them they must provide a loco and stock for a loco-hauled passenger service to fit in with their loco and stock diagrams as well, a daily return workman's to the ROF factory and industrial estate at Tremains (the real train ran from Abergwynfi until 1960), and a miner's workmans.  Then there are four colliery clearances every day, needing a morning loco and an afternoon loco.  Then there is a morning pickup (same loco diagram as the miner's workmans) and an afternoon trip from Briton Ferry to Dimbath Metals, a galvanising and electroplating company down the valley at Glynogwr, and finally an afternoon NPCCS train from Cardiff (General) serving a distribution warehouse for 'District and Overseas', a catalogue mail order company. 

These firms at Glynogwr are on a stub of the Gilfach Goch branch, closed in 1930, and trains have to come up to Cwmdimbath to run around so as to be facing the right way to use the trailing connection.  There is also a path for an occasional evening pigeon special, organised by the Ogmore Forest Pigeon Fancier's Association, some of whose members have coops on the layout.

That's eight locomotives.  It would be not absolutely incorrect to run the layout with eight 57xx/8750 panniers, but I like a bit of variety and there are also 56xx, 4575, 5101, 94xx (regarded as passenger engines at Tondu for some reason), 42xx, and a BR 3MT tank.  Thirteen alttogether, but in practice the locos that actually appeared from day to day would change, and a surplus must be maintained for each class of traffic to cover boiler washouts and works visits.  It looks unrealistically busy, but it isn't; these Tondu network single track branches were worked pretty close to capacity, and had the village actually existed, this timetable is not unfeasible.  We are, however, at the stage where new locos will be wanted rather than needed in terms of being justified by the traffic.  Tondu had an allocation of around 50 locomotives to work five branches and some main line jobs. and I reckon that the extra traffic generated by my imaginary branch in a real place would have needed up to another half-dozen allocations to cover the work.  I am therefore justified in the Standard 3MT tank, on loan from Barry, and possibly others in future.

These are the result of the machinations of the board, meeting in the smoke-filled snug of The Forge, huddled around the fire and moaning that there's never enough money; nothing to do with me...  The little 4mm people operate the railway and make these decisions, I am merely a big person liason to assist in fulfilling their demands in as much as they interface with the big person world.  They are banging on about a Rapido Loriot with their squeaky but insistent little 4mm 1950s voices, but I'm resisting so far.  'It must be marshalled at the rear of the train', they whisper, 'more shunting movements; go on, you know you like more shunting movements'.  Must go now, if matron catches me out of bed again there'll be trouble.  She thinks they are all in my head, but I know the real truth; I have to pretend to agree with her, though, or she won't give me the nice orange pills that stop me murdering people, and you know what happened last time...

'More shunting movements', they whisper.

• Like 6

On 28/07/2023 at 18:29, Hroth said:

I selected "other". All down to procrastination, dithering, whatever.

Then suddenly, they've all gone!

Yup - Nearly got caught out in 2014 with the original Bachmann "Polybulks" due to this - dithered over prices (Shocking, £26 for a wagon !! 🙄) & initially not entirely sure about the weathering on 38-425. Eventually scrambled together a rake of 7 from about 4 different retailers at between £28 - £31 a wagon before they were all gone and being sold on eBay for silly money.

Recently didn't bat an eyelid paying £80 for one of the RoS NACCO ones to complete the rake - the Paypal "pay in 3" now makes buying stuff ad hoc like that a much more practical proposition.

• Like 2

I dithered over a Rapido Hunslet because although they were producing a Beatrice, daughter of the same name didn't like being a dirty colliery engine so when they announced the green livery in the second batch I ordered one. Yes I could have brought one and repainted it, but this for me is incidental modelling where I haven't got the time to waste and want quick results over an indeterminate timeframe.

In theory the Locomotion ES1 Steeplecab should have been a guaranteed sale having previously brought the kit but sold it for the same reason as above, but the pantograph wasn't convincing for the price,so I'll have to wait until they are either priced as a bargain or sold by those having a clear out of display case models. Or perhaps I'll gain gratification from all the Tyneside quay layouts being built to be exhibited.

• Like 4

Other for me. I can easily buy stuff for other people, lend money with no intention of claiming it etc. But when it comes to buying stuff for myself I hesitate, I then procrastinate and then when I do pluck up the courage to buy it, I’ll then come up with another excuse. 

Big James

• Like 2