OO Fell (Batch 2)

Trains4U

• RMweb Premium

The Fell has always been a bit of a joke to railway enthusiasts yet it was a very clever concept to develop a mech-drive diesel locomotive. The fact it was a dead end and the industry settled on electric drive doesn't detract from the fact that using auxiliary blowers to control the power-torque characteristic of the prime mover is a perfectly valid idea (big marine engines rely on auxiliary blowers for initial start and until the turbochargers spool up and take over. Similarly, mech-drives are efficient and can be lightweight. It was a much more interesting design than often realised.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

I found the film interesting and I do wonder if the relative lack of success was down to the construction capability at the time.  Of course, four engines would probably have been expensive and awkward to service and whether the improvements to efficiency would have been worth it who knows, but it does make you wonder if using modern engine management systems and with modern construction there might have been a way forward for such a loco, although with diesel engines being frowned upon for the longer term I doubt we'll ever see a grandson of the Fell proving the concept.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I found the film interesting and I do wonder if the relative lack of success was down to the construction capability at the time.  Of course, four engines would probably have been expensive and awkward to service and whether the improvements to efficiency would have been worth it who knows, but it does make you wonder if using modern engine management systems and with modern construction there might have been a way forward for such a loco, although with diesel engines being frowned upon for the longer term I doubt we'll ever see a grandson of the Fell proving the concept.

Am I not correct in thinking that DHP1, the Clayton hydraulic ' Super Clayton' had an element of Fell technology in its design?

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The main barrier to mech-drive in a locomotive (as opposed to a DMU) is the torque characteristic of electric motors is pretty much perfect for the application. The focus of most people tends to be power, but the limiting parameter for many drive applications is starting and low end torque until the engine revs pick up. Using auxiliary blowers and/or gearing makes a mech drive workable for such an application, but it adds complexity and gearboxes capable of handling high loads in a compact form are dreadfully expensive (and not many companies can design and manufacture them). Add to that you have a lot more flexible with installation with an e-drive and it makes sense that electric drive became pretty much the default despite being heavy. However, I've no doubt that a locomotive based on the same concept as the Fell could be built and made to work perfectly well.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Towards the end of the FELL 1 topic, there was correspondence relating to the possibility / feasibility of 3D printed fittings to correct the errors in the body shell of the locomotive (nose grills, body side window

replacement grill, roof exhaust and water filler units etc). Did anything ever come to fruition and if so, from where?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just got my green Fell DCC sound and I'm very happy with it, especially how the engines come on stream as the model speeds up. There may be some inaccuracies but I would never get around to building one to this quality so it's great to have the opportunity to have it. It's a nice talking point with visitors - especially after seeing the film about its unusual engine layout. 

• Like 2

I bought a Green Fell with sound for Christmas and opened it last week. I couldn’t get it run and KR models sent me a replacement by return. I think their service is exemplary and the replacement works absolutely fine. I recommend the model and can’t imagine a major manufacturer operating like this. I bought a Gt3 with sound last year which works with no issues. I have put the cash down for Big Bertha with sound and smoke for later this year.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/12/2023 at 09:15, AMJ said:

A nice video on the construction of the real loco along with how it works can been seen in this period Shell film

How come the shaft from front to back didn't start winding up, there doesn't seem to be any play in the system?

• 1 month later...