Can anyone identify this tree?

I'm building a layout of Summerseat on the ELR, and I was wondering if anyone could identify the species of the rather prominent tree that sits by the Brooksbottoms viaduct (on the left side of the viaduct in the photos, the one that's half changing to orange/red in the top photo) as seen in the following photos. I'd like to get a model scenery tree that looks somewhat like it. Being from the U.S., I'm not up on my British Isles/European tree species. 

Autumn colours at Summerseat

37109 | Brooksbottom Viaduct

tree.JPG

Edited by MattR
Wrong tree!

3 hours ago, MattR said:

Wrong tree!

Actually, I think it's the right tree - at least, that's the tree I found from the viaduct pictures.

As for species, I'm going with sycamore, based on leaves and bark. The leaves are lime-like as per southernman46's suggestion but I don't think the bark matches. Bark looks quite birch-like but the leaves don't match.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MattR said:

Thank you, gentlemen! On closer inspection on Google streetview, it most definitely a sycamore -- not so foreign after all!

Well, they are to Britain. A present from the Romans: sycamores and rabbits.

• Agree 2

Since we’ve had a reference to Monty Python, I’ll quote Yogi Bear (from many years earlier):

”It looks more …

… like a sycamore …

… to me!”

(I couldn’t find the clip.)

Edited by pH

I was just going to suggest Hornbeam.

Sycamore isn’t quite a totally useless weed, because the timber is good for turning and carving to make kitchen utensils, things like rolling pins, ladles, short brush handles etc., which might be why the Romans grew it - it covers a lot of the uses that softish plastics do now. It carves almost like hard wax, very easy and no tendency for the tool to get distracted and start following the grain. It’s no good for anything involving impacts though, because it’s short-grained and snaps like a carrot. The fact that it grows so fast might make it a firewood crop, but my recollection is that it burns a bit quick and spits a lot.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Sycamore isn’t quite a totally useless weed, because the timber is good for turning and carving to make kitchen utensils

They're also known for attracting unusual migrant birds, particularly in late autumn: something to look at between trains.  Later on, you can go and have a piece of pie made with the aid of a rolling pin and a short-handled brush (to glaze the crust).  Seems like the definition of useful to me.

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

They're also known for attracting unusual migrant birds, particularly in late autumn: something to look at between trains.  Later on, you can go and have a piece of pie made with the aid of a rolling pin and a short-handled brush (to glaze the crust). 

Four and twenty blackbirds?

Very interesting. Apparently there are some differences. Here in the U.S. we have the American Sycamore that has the seed balls. Apparently what is called a sycamore in the U.K. is actually a type of maple tree (known in the U.S. as a Sycamore Maple) that has the seed keys. 

Edited by MattR

On 01/08/2023 at 20:21, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Well, they are to Britain. A present from the Romans: sycamores and rabbits.

Mmm, rabbits were introduced by the Normans. There are no know Anglo-Saxon names for them, the Normans called them coney, which rhymed with honey. 

Sycamores were introduced into Scotland in the 15th century. 

The Romans were innocent, this time. 

One rabbit doesn't breed and fill the landscape:

From https://heritagesuffolk.wordpress.com/2021/04/02/roman-hare-brooches/

If these brooches were manufactured in Britain, they are likely to be hares rather than rabbits because archaeological evidence suggests that there were no sustained rabbit populations here until the Medieval period. Evidence for very occasional rabbits from Roman Britain includes six rabbit bones recovered from a Roman pit at Lynford in Norfolk, and recent re-analysis of animal bones from the Roman ‘palace’ at Fishbourne in West Sussex revealed the presence of a rabbit bone. This bone was radiocarbon dated to the 1st century AD and the lack of butchery marks on it possibly suggests that the rabbit was kept as a pet, likely in a tiled or walled enclosure the Romans called a ‘leporarium’.

Of course, the Romans may have had a cunning rabbit contraceptive...