Bachmann 9F 2023 New tooling - what's it like?!

wappinghigh

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the images and comparing to an existing model, the new tooling appears to consist of the running plate with cut aways for the pumps and the associated pipe work and fittings. The rest of the model remaining as per the original release which is excellent in its own right anyway.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Solid Bachmann 9F.

Excellent quality sound decoder in my opinion. Sound function 13 is randomly generated Westinghouse pump noises, new to this model.

Westinghouse Pumps look very good.

The weathering is identical on both locos.

There's more of a red ore dust effect around the tender underframe and part of the loco underframe, though the red dust effect is missing from the loco wheels and is grime only.

IMG_20230909_150211~2.jpg

IMG_20230909_150237~2.jpg

IMG_20230909_150316~2.jpg

IMG_20230909_150321~2.jpg

IMG_20230909_150329~2.jpg

IMG_20230909_151214.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
Extra photo of the Westinghouse pumps
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Francis deWeck said:

Damn, or whoopeee. Another 9F , probably 92060, joining my collection soon. 92002 (B), 92116 (B),92220(H) already doing service. As with others, I wonder why both companies are doing 92097. Nice to hear the sound effects are pleasing.

I'll do a sound video later on hopefully, or early tomorrow.

It's a bit too hot at present, just finding and putting out the KR models ore wagons was a task and a half.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now these are dropping in price I've bought the sound fitted version of 92184 (32-859BSF) for what I consider a very reasonable £230 from Monk Bar Model shop (York). Very well finished as Bachmann always are in my experience and enhanced over earlier versions that I have to include painted inside cab roof and matt finish to the smokebox to distinguish it from the boiler cladding and smoke deflectors which are more satin. A little gear noise on initial test but an hour either way on the rolling road has quieted it considerably and no reason to think it wont settle further to match my other 2 (10+ years old now). Has the adjustable tender draw bar as per the G2a (the best tender coupling mech on the market in my opinion ) and a plug and socket to to the tender where the chip and speaker are mounted.  A straight forward sound project  - not especially feature rich but effective with a braking function and a decent 'whoof' as befits a loco of this size. 

Would benefit from a second speaker in the loco to balance out the sound from the tender and the usual detailing and proper coal in the tender.

Good models these - the Hornby model is to a more modern spec and has the important bearings on the drivers but considering this model came with a Loksound V5 fitted for only £10 more than most places are charging for the DC Hornby version I am very happy.

Monk Bar a shop of choice for me based on previous experience - they are a proper old fashioned city centre model shop, very friendly and knowledgeable and often have bargains! 

• Like 3

On 20/10/2023 at 21:19, Chilly said:

Got the NYMR one from ROS had to go back as everything was seized, very easy to replace with them great service 👍  

Can you tell me the model number please ? 

I’m thinking of getting a 9f and do like to get preserved locomotives so the NYMR would be great 

I have the sound version and because I pre ordered it from Rails for not much more than the standard Hornby 9F. The big improvement is the tender pickups which the old one didn't have although it does still have the pin on the drawbar which is a bit fiddly to connect. I have been testing it at low speed to see how well it goes, it is really good.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, ColinB said:

I have the sound version and because I pre ordered it from Rails for not much more than the standard Hornby 9F. The big improvement is the tender pickups which the old one didn't have although it does still have the pin on the drawbar which is a bit fiddly to connect. I have been testing it at low speed to see how well it goes, it is really good.

Would I be correct in assuming that the tender wiring is only for dcc and not for pick ups…or is this changed with these latest releases ?

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2023 at 14:11, Ian Hargrave said:

Would I be correct in assuming that the tender wiring is only for dcc and not for pick ups…or is this changed with these latest releases ?

Just had chance to check. This is the sound fitted 92184 - pick ups on 2 of the 3 tender axles. 

IMG_0787.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Although I have no need of one,I cannot help but compare it with the new Hornby Tyne Dock examples. Have to say the Bachmann version which I think is decently weathered scores over it. But I’ll hold back sadly as  purchase of stock to run with it would be necessary. 

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Although I have no need of one,I cannot help but compare it with the new Hornby Tyne Dock examples. Have to say the Bachmann version which I think is decently weathered scores over it. But I’ll hold back sadly as  purchase of stock to run with it would be necessary. 

Something pleasingly hefty about the Bachmann version and all of the current versions are very well finished. There are weathered versions of the standard version too if the Tyne Docker is too specific - https://www.monkbarmodelshop.co.uk/model-railways-c5/oo-model-railways-c6/locos-oo-c8/br-standard-9f-with-br1f-tender-92069-br-black-early-emblem-w-p25123 for example :)

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Something pleasingly hefty about the Bachmann version and all of the current versions are very well finished. There are weathered versions of the standard version too if the Tyne Docker is too specific - https://www.monkbarmodelshop.co.uk/model-railways-c5/oo-model-railways-c6/locos-oo-c8/br-standard-9f-with-br1f-tender-92069-br-black-early-emblem-w-p25123 for example :)

Thanks but I do already have a nicely weathered one. The Tyne Dock version does appeal but I’ll have to resist 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

Is 32-859A or 32-859B more suited to a BR Blue layout?

Thanks

It depends on how you’re defining a ‘BR blue’ layout. If your definition of BR Blue is after 11/08/68 then neither are.

Steam on BR finished in 1968 when the core rolling stock and infrastructure was still firmly rooted in BR Green era. As above realistically neither are more suited, though they would have seen some limited pre-TOPS blue D&E locomotives and blue/grey type coaching stock. Both models have late crests which was the last BR steam livery.

Edited by PMP
Spellcheck

• RMweb Premium

Well according to the BR Database 92184 (32-859b) was withdrawn in 1965, at which time there would have been very few diesels in blue livery (probably only 1!), while 92212 (32-859a) was withdrawn at the beginning of 1968 when there would have been a few blue diesels around, bearing in mind what PMP has said above.

On 27/12/2023 at 15:48, APT Fan said:

32-859A is described as 'preserved' so I'm not sure what era the model is representative of.

You will need to find a photo of the preserved prototype, and check that it is a recent image.

Appearances change under preservation, and may well not be 'correct' for any historic period.

CJI.

• Like 1