The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Britain's new deepest mine in Europe....but not a train or a lorry in sight

woodenhead

Very interesting.  I hadn't heard of it either, and I thought I knew that area - I have friends who run a farm only a couple of miles from there.

Video implies it will all be exported.  If it's so wonderful, shouldn't we be using some of it in this country ?

I noticed there was no mention of how much of this stuff there is, how long it will last or what we will do when the mine is worked out.

If it's so rare, presumably we can demand a high price for it, although the price the market will pay is presumably limited to the improvement in yield the customers can achieve, and there is already a £3billion capital investment that needs to be repaid.

Edited by Michael Hodgson

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I noticed there was no mention of how much of this stuff there is, how long it will last or what we will do when the mine is worked out.

I thought there was mention of 100 years? At about 2m 20 secs.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I thought there was mention of 100 years? At about 2m 20 secs.

Possibly 100 years (assumed reserves). 50 years on confirmed reserves.

Amazing project. I do recall it first being proposed and the amount of concern for the landscape.

Surprised that you haven’t heard of this it is an ongoing saga, a lot of local people lost a lot of money investing in the original Sirius Mining as it went bust a few years ago and was then rescued but in effect it is a new company!

currently ICL at Boulby is the only Uk producer of polysulphate.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting project video not, I assume, produced by the same people that produced Gregg Wallace: The British Miracle Meat?

So, assuming it is not, then what does the UK rather than Anglo American get out of it? One would hope that we would learn from North Sea Oil and insist on the creation of a Sovereign Wealth Fund for the benefit of all the British People? Norway has shown the way.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

There’s no way that the potash mines on the Canadian Prairies could get their product to tidewater by tunneled conveyer. (1300 km or so is a long way!) So they still use trains.

From CPKC’s website, talking about bulk potash shipments:

“Movement options include solid trainloads (105-car minimum)

- that is not a misprint. Some CPKC potash trains are 170 cars. CNR trains can be over 200 cars.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1