The problem with this motor is that it would need an aditional gearbox/gearset with a 10:1 reduction or thereabouts in order to get it down to the right sort of running speed. At 1300rpm, it's far too fast. You really need a maximum of 120rpm or so for layout speeds (allowing for voltage available..... I use a 6v motor that gives about 185rpm at 6v, and run it off a 3.7v Lipo)

Hi, have been reading this post with great admiration for your work, fantastic work!

Are the little 14/1 gearboxes still available from Bill Bedford? They are listed on his website, but there's no mention of sizes so not sure if it would be too large for rear axle mounting.

http://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/loco/drives/gearboxes4.html

EDIT: Found them on clag as well here:

http://www.clag.org.uk/2nd-gen-mu.html

Edited by auld_boot

Hi Auld,

think you have to contact Mousa Models for the gearbox 

i whas looking for the gearbox but good not find it

I have changed the state of the motor.

For me the best option.

I make a hole in the floor of the cabin

post-18787-0-58997700-1365279058.jpg

I start to mill the front axel with the steering wheel

More later

Edited by johnlostcreek

Hi Auld_boot - welcome to the foray...... I think there's about to be quite a lot of good work and learning going on - which is great! And I'm glad it's causing such interest. I think it's a good and generally interesting adjunct to a model railway, with a lot of unexplored potential ( which people are just now starting to run with, now the technology has really made it viable)

Thanks for the link on Bill Bedfords gear boxes - they're neat, and could be a useful final drive!

John, I think that that motor position is a good compromise - have you considered the long shaft version of the gearbox, which would probably reach down to the back axle in one go from there?

Hi Giles,

I want a cardan shaft fitting between the engine and rear axle 

in this way the engine can come a little bit more horizontal

also, I want to try what suspencion in the rear axle.

so, a long shaft  from engine to reare axle wil not work on this way 

Edited by johnlostcreek

Hi Rich,

When I see something for the forum I go posting

I thought you want a flywheel on your engine.?

There`s no room voor the flywheel in my car, sorry I can`t test a flywheel       

John 

Edited by johnlostcreek

I thought you'd be interested in the comparison between the gear motors we've been using, and the 6mm Mikro  Antribbe motor Gearbox unit (used for HO lorries). I thought I might play with a 7mm car, and see if it's got sufficient power....

Also shown is the recent 1.7gm servo, compared with the servo used in my lorries.

IMG_0332_zpsae8c2b4a.jpg

• Like 1

This day my 1;43 A ford arrived

post-18787-0-49493000-1365544571.jpg

Its a compleet car so I can leurn more about de RC to build in

I want to do the build like Giles did with his cars.

John

so now I have two projects

I do not put all pictures on the forum but you cab watch it on

for the 1:35 Fort http://www.lostcreek.nl/1op35%20de%20bouw%20van%20de%20a-ford.htm

for the  1:43 later on this page and on lost creek

Edited by johnlostcreek

Thanks John. Something to put in my Favourites. You can get smaller flywheels, or make one if you've got a lathe, but how effective they would be I don't know. Bound to have some effect in smoothing out the motion.

I'm not very knowledgable about remote control models. How do you switch the power on? Is it on the speed controller, and does it drain power significantly when the power is on even when not being driven, enough to make you feel you should switch it off if not driving the model for a while?

Oh yes, a car has got to be the next step. If they can do it at 1:87 scale it can certainly be done at 1:43. Go for it Giles. I think I've got one of those motors, I think they're used in mobile phones to make them vibrate.  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:53

I thought you'd be interested in the comparison between the gear motors we've been using, and the 6mm Mikro  Antribbe motor Gearbox unit (used for HO lorries). I thought I might play with a 7mm car, and see if it's got sufficient power....

Also shown is the recent 1.7gm servo, compared with the servo used in my lorries.

Hi Giles,

The 6mm Mikro  Antribbe motor Gearbox unit looks great

Where you bought that, and what delay he has 1:....

John 

Edited by johnlostcreek

Wow John, a 1:87 vehicle with sound. That's amazing, and it starts and moves really well. Wouldn't like to be a 1:87 scale fella inside it when it stops though :)

There's other good stuff linked to that video aswell, an excavator that moves incredibly well for such a small scale. I'm wondering whether to start on this stuff before continuing with my railway stuff. After all, the way I aim to build a model railway will require road transport and diggers very early on because I will be attempting to build a model railway in the manner a railway is built in reality. In other words I will start off with just a landscape, then attempt to recreate the way a real railway is built, and that will require diggers, and a landscape that can be dug into. Don't ask now how I am going to do this because I haven't yet figured it all out, but that's the aim. It will be some time before I organise room to place the layout.

This method of building a layout means that once you've got the basic landscape down your 'layout' will always be finished. It's just the actual 'railway' itself that will then need building, and that will be built by models, well ….. perhaps with a little help from yours truly aswell. So, another reason this thread is a godsend for me, I need these models in order to actually build my railway.

Thanks for linking Giles's translation of your site. 

John, I couldn't think what you meant at first, but I think I get you now. You know, I have been thinking how to make cyclists and motor cycles work. I've seen them work following a track, 1:43 scale I think it was, legs going round aswell, but remotely …. wheeeew! Do you find yourself looking at virtually everything in the real world and thinking "Mmmm, I wonder how you could get that to work at my scale"?