History of Model & Miniature Railways 1970s?

sir douglas

A while back i was given 44 of these magazines, issues 1-45 missing 40, and no idea if 45 is the last. They dont say when the series was published but the wording and dates in the first article suggests 1973. Each issue is 20 A4 pages of articles; current (1970s) and old models, miniature & model engineering and a bit at the end about clubs & societies

Front cover of issue 1, 

20230825_122330.jpg.334181efe49b2c093b80f647e1c5d818.jpg

Still got the poster as well somewhere!

Or wallchart as they are calling it. One of those partworks that got reissued a few times during the 1970s. I think mine was bought a bit later, probably about 1976 or '77.

I got the Model Railway one and my brother got the World War II partwork. As his lasted longer I ended up being bought Railway Modeller every month to make up.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Yeah remember it . Started in 1973 went on into 74 . I remember a lovely LMS layout in the Garden with large viaduct. Inspiring to a wee boy . Think it’s 45 issues . The last one would have an index . Last in a series of weekly partworks . History of Railways , Great Trains , History of Ships . I think there was a History of Aviation that kicked the series off back in 1971 

• RMweb Premium

Yes I have 'History of Railways' and the sequel 'Great Trains' part works, which I bought as they came out. A very dated style of writing now.

IIRC they also published book versions of the part works - I didn't buy them because they had almost exactly the same contents, so I didn't need to buy them!

But the best New English Library published book I have, is 'Vintage Engines', which introduced me to the idea of photos with proper captions and of course photos taken no later than the outbreak of WW2.

• RMweb Gold

My parents bought me several issues - I must have been about 12 or 13 at the time.

I remember, in particular, a photo of a GWR small prairie and the caption said something like “A K’s kit, constructed by N K T Stanton”.  I don’t know if it would pass muster today, but to my young eyes, it looked like the dog’s danglies!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Agree 1