Bullhead Y Turnout (OO Gauge)

petejones

I'm still planning a layout and could do with a couple of Y turnouts, but Peco don't make any for their bullhead range (yet), which is what I intend to use for the layout. I looked at C+L Finescale, but they don't seem to do any kits for these either, so how easy would it be to make a couple? I've never built track let alone turnouts, but more than willing to give it a go. Would a Peco turnout be easy enough to modifiy into a Y turnout?

You could download the Streamline FB Y template:

https://peco-uk.com/collections/turn-out-crossing-plans

I have used these a lot on my layout because I can't get my brain around Templot. 

You will need chairs, rail and timbers (not sleepers).  Or you can use copperclad strip for timbers and solder.  This method doesn't give you chair detail but is easier than the chaired type.

I believe there is more than one supplier for these, but, as I model in 7mm I'm not totally au fait with these.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Templot really is easy to use on a basic level. Martin has even introduced a function to create a Y turnout under tools. One click, how simple is that?

So I have heard Stephen.  However, my turnouts are all done so I need to move on to the many other jobs that need doing. 😟

John

Edited by brossard

Depending on the radius, you could use the SMP templates. I think I might still have one around to be honest, possibly still have a built copperclad Y attached to it that never got used. Otherwise I'd look at using the PECO templates and try to match the sleeper spacing of the BH pointwork.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was reading through and was going to suggest Templot which has helped me progress my trainset skills greatly. OR cutting some plastic under an off the shelf item and bending it, which I have also had work for me.  the only thing I will say about that is try to keep the inch or so about the frog close to how it was, it is quite rigid anyways. It wont be noticed. You might not get a Symmetrical Y, but one that favors one side more than the other. You might want this anyway?  Good luck with it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/09/2023 at 00:22, Captain_Mumbles said:

I was reading through and was going to suggest Templot which has helped me progress my trainset skills greatly. OR cutting some plastic under an off the shelf item and bending it, which I have also had work for me.  the only thing I will say about that is try to keep the inch or so about the frog close to how it was, it is quite rigid anyways. It wont be noticed. You might not get a Symmetrical Y, but one that favors one side more than the other. You might want this anyway?  Good luck with it.

There is now an automatic function which enables a nigh on symmetrical Y turnout

image.png.2fb759e7bf637727d56ada2b051983a0.png

This was a simple B6 as it was what I had looked at before

image.png.7133fc60fc83cb08bb29df263fa63dd8.png

Its in the Tools dialogue box, you may have to alter the crossing size but its all very easy once you get the hang of it

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2023 at 00:22, Captain_Mumbles said:

...You might not get a Symmetrical Y, but one that favors one side more than the other. You might want this anyway?  Good luck with it.

Most of the time this is what you'll probably want anyway. I believe completely symmetrical Y turnouts are and were rare in reality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I bulit the track for the Folkestone club's Alkham Valley line it required a symmetrical Y. Templot made one for me, do't ask how, it did and it's been on the layout nearly 6 years now. Pity the layout's been in store since then!

The Y is on the left, top point. IISTR it's a right hand B6 with the main road curved left. The layout was built to EM ad was left to the club by its builder. since nobody else in the club has EM stock and that was all sold off by his widow, the decision was taken to convert to 00. I built it to 16.2 gauge.:) Plain track is 16.5

0782BED7-2A4A-49BD-8384-E97F9F4FE895.jpeg

Edited by roythebus1
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

When I bulit the track for the Folkestone club's Alkham Valley line it required a symmetrical Y. Templot made one for me, do't ask how, it did and it's been on the layout nearly 6 years now. Pity the layout's been in store since then!

Templot has moved on a lot over the past 6 years, now building a Templot plan (called Template in Templot) is simply a tick box exercise, for a novice user it may require a little assistance from Templot Club simply to explain the options, or rather what options to use. But simply trying different options will quickly show what they produce

As for building the turnout Templot is developing so that even filing jigs can be printed to form both the vee and switch rails. However this is an add on for those with 3D printers. Building turnouts is developing into a simple process, on the other hand templates/plans allow for any building method to be used

Below is a Y turnout with a longer lead to the previous posted, but the same crossing angle

image.png.9b5c24c6b526f861ccf4f5a7b5990882.png

Thanks for that John, I've been following the Templot developments on here for the last few years. I note it can even print the track in 3D! I ought to get back to planning y next layout.

As an aside, I've found some unbuilt K's motor rail bogies and transfers, are you still interested in them? 

11 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Thanks for that John, I've been following the Templot developments on here for the last few years. I note it can even print the track in 3D! I ought to get back to planning y next layout.

As an aside, I've found some unbuilt K's motor rail bogies and transfers, are you still interested in them? 

roythebus1

First off yes please re the K's parts,

Perhaps I can do a swap ? as I am about to order a FDM 3D printer mainly to print turnout and crossing bases (and filing jigs) I will be dependant on others to get chairs printed so I cannot abuse others assistance.

The 3D project is very interesting, the design is for an easy to use system to build turnouts, crossings and plain track, even flexitrack!!! most scales from TT upwards in any of the gauges supported by Templot. 3 ways, crossings and slips are still work in progress, as are 2 & 4 bolt chairs. But the progress Martin has made this year has been breath-taking. On the other hand its still going to take a lot more time to get everything up and running. With crossings and slips, I do think in the short term I may have a work around for crossings, which in some ways is just as exciting. With my EM gauge layout (Bodmin) I need to build the formation into the engine shed which includes a double slip

The system is designed to easily fit preformed rails then clip them in place. In some ways very much easier than existing building methods, but some may feel its a bit fiddly (you cannot please everyone) It had its first real outing at Scaleforum this year and was a show stopper, poor old James was swamped both days. What was even more surprising was the reaction from many who in the past claimed Templot was unusable, plus I was shocked at the number of modellers who have access to 3D printers  

• Like 1

Having recently built my first couple of Finetrax kits, I must say say how much easier it has made track building. Yet people spend a fortune on today's super-detailed ready-to-run stock with lights, bells whistles, but run them on proprietary track and 3' scale gaps between coaches. Oh well, each to their own.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Having recently built my first couple of Finetrax kits, I must say say how much easier it has made track building. Yet people spend a fortune on today's super-detailed ready-to-run stock with lights, bells whistles, but run them on proprietary track and 3' scale gaps between coaches. Oh well, each to their own.

roythebus1

We are going off in a bit of a tangent, but as the op is taking the trouble to use wooden sleeper and timbers it is very much in line with what they are doing

Firstly how many modellers actually look at the track ? let alone turnouts and crossings. If they did they would not accept the majority of of RTR products all with a dislocated end timber after the vee/common crossing. On the other hand Peco's new 00 gauge bullhead turnout to most peoples eye looks wrong with equalised timbers, we all have been brought up expecting straight turnouts with timbers square on with the straight line of the turnout

Here is the old chestnut in that are turnouts straight on the prototype, may be on the latest high speed lines, but not on period settings. the same goes for symmetrical Y turnouts. As for timbering apparently equalised timbering was far more common than square on. Same as chopping the ends off sleepers when joining to turnouts and crossings, they should be interlaced or longer timbers used across both lines

As you say with Finetracks kits, they are a super product very well priced. 3D printing is now leading the way and its great to see both P4 and EM gauge societies embracing them, 00 gauge is not forgotten with both standard (if there is such a thing in 00 gauge) and the finer 00SF with narrower flangeways.

On the Templot Forum Plug track recent Zoom meeting we briefly discussed ballasting and good old cork ballast was suggested

Likewise last night on Little Trains and Big Names Peter waterman discussed modern baseboards with Francis Rossi. He was using a grey foam as the baseboard, no idea of either the make or availability, but it looks very useful idea

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/little-trains-big-names-with-pete-waterman/on-demand/74077-003

Pity I can't log in to the channel 4 site, yet another forgotten password.

About 30 years ago a Finnish layout visited the MRC's exhibition. The Finnish club subsequently used a foam baseboard with varying degrees of success. I suspect we've all been brought up reading too many of Cyril's "shows you how" books.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have recently completed an OO chaired bullhead Y point, using copper clad sleepers. I downloaded and printed off the Peco short Y point template from their website and used that as a basis for the experiment.

I used modified Exactoscale plastic chairs, which I epoxied either side of the rail.

Now got to decide which project to use it on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@Captain Kernow Do you have a pic of the finished item, sounds interesting 

Here is a photo of the point under construction:

20240221_113030.jpg.fadce8e69d243aa820d14e64e3b26783.jpg

The 'extension' pieces beyond the Y were simply to help with rail alignment and have since been removed.

Here it is in the process of being tested by running various locos over it. Cosmetic chairs have since been added:

20240225_110726.jpg.4b74c69b96c48994c3c2d62fde38afab.jpg

• Like 5