Motorising a windmill

Operating branch lines

Porth Kernow - N gauge layout

Working with plasticard - OO hut

Upgrade - OO container

and the usual letters, reviews, etc.

G.

• RMweb Premium

A very good issue from a local point of view as both Clayton and Rolls Royce are local companies, and the conversion of the model was done by Dave Roome (Roomey) from the Mickleover (Derby) club

I also see that the publicity photo of Colin Stark (Black Cat Baseboards) was taken at the Derby show in May showing Colin in 'conversation' with Tim Allsopp (tim@dy) another local member - in fact Tim will be at the Derby Members' Day in the morning extracting a 'voluntary donation' from our visitors :D

Mike

A very good issue

I'm afraid I was very disappointed in it compared to the recent run of improved issues.

Having seen The Woodhead layout live, I didn't think the photos really did it justice something about them that jarred with me.

I don't like Claytons so rapidly flicked past that, and garden railways I've never been enamoured with.

Windmills - not exactly a common sight and takes me back to the 60's when almost every trainset had one .. and a church, thatched cottage ...

The Little People was interesting but still left me a bit blank - sort of needing someone else to explain ... something we don't seem discussed much on RMWeb.

But overall that is the good thing about the RM it caters for a broad range of tastes so overall still worth the subscription IMO and the format is definitely an improvement.

I'm afraid I was very disappointed in it compared to the recent run of improved issues.

Yep, this issue didn't tickle me the way other recent ones have. But I generally find the Aug/summer issue to be not quite to my taste. Still you can't expect to be enamoured with every issue and overall the standard has been increasing. Roll on the September issue :D

G.

I liked the painted people article but was surprised that the writer brushpainted the undercoat. I'd have thought a quick blast of an aerosol undercoat would be better. I've used Games Workshop Skull White or a BR Freight Stock Grey to good effect. Just a light coat gives a good base and doesn't obscure the details.

steve

I liked the painted people article but was surprised that the writer brushpainted the undercoat. I'd have thought a quick blast of an aerosol undercoat would be better.

Perhaps because using an aerosol isn't always practical. I set up a spray booth in the garden for rolling stock but for small items I find brush quicker and easier, especially as I live up several flights of stairs and it rains a lot here!

• 2 weeks later...
and the usual letters,

Not usual at all! The truly nasty one about a mistake in a review was quite sad I thought. I pity someone who has so little going on that they vent their anger in a model railway magazine - I also suspect they carry that same bitterness through their entire life which is a real shame.

I bought it for the 7mm garden feature but thought the overall magazine was weak. The little people article was nice to see but the advice not to use sable brushes was perhaps misleading. Sable brushes, well, looked after will last and last.

The Garden Railway is a strange one... it has obviosly had a huge ammount of time, effort and not least, money thrown at it... yet it somehow looked a bit 'sterile' to me and lacking atmosphere. I know that's a very subjective thing and atmosphere is difficult to quantify, but that's just how it seemed to me.

The Class 17 article reminded me why I don't model 4mm diesels any more; because there's always someone out there who can make a far better fist of them than me (I liked the open bonnet-side hatch!).

The Little People article had some good techniques, which I reckon military modellers have used for years, I do think the results shown, to my mind, are slightly 'overcooked'... or am I just being over critical ?

As I've stuck my head up over the parapet, here's one of my figures I've painted (7mm scale);

OldBert.jpg

I missed the letter from Mr Angry... must go back & take a look... :D

• RMweb Gold

The Little People article had some good techniques, which I reckon military modellers have used for years, I do think the results shown, to my mind, are slightly 'overcooked'... or am I just being over critical ?

That's my problem with a lot of articles that purport to be about making figures look more realistic - the results don't quite work for me.

And yes - as for that letter mentioned in James' post - it confirms my suspicion that while there are some nice people in this hobby, it also attracts its fair share of complete mentalists...

I bought it for the 7mm garden feature but thought the overall magazine was weak. The little people article was nice to see but the advice not to use sable brushes was perhaps misleading. Sable brushes, well, looked after will last and last.

Yep, sable brushes will indeed last a life time if looked after however they are not recommended for every type of paint.

, I do think the results shown, to my mind, are slightly 'overcooked'..

Not a term I'm familiar with...

That's my problem with a lot of articles that purport to be about making figures look more realistic - the results don't quite work for me.

To be fair the article never purpoted to be about making figures realistic, just an improvement on the some of the current r-t-r offerings. But each to their own.

Archived