RMweb

Bodmin Moor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete Haitch said:

Lowish sun shining beneath the cloud cover to side light the wagons. brilliant - I like the representation of the field system and the tob on the stone hedge - out of curiosity, are the sides of the hedge vertical or have you made it with a batter i.e.: with a wider bottom and a slope or thee stage arc as it rises and narrows to the top?  I'm thinking of making a short length (4mm scale) that I can make a mould from to cast as many lengths as I need.

Thanks Pete.

The sides are made with a batter and a very slight curved, gradual slope.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the many detail's that help to make the whole scene ring true.  SWAG is a 16 hour bike ride or 53 hour walk from here but if Bodmin Moor is going to be there, then. if the weather is good, that could be a plan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Pete Haitch said:

One of the many detail's that help to make the whole scene ring true.  SWAG is a 16 hour bike ride or 53 hour walk from here but if Bodmin Moor is going to be there, then. if the weather is good, that could be a plan.

Bodmin Moor is booked for 4 or 5 shows this year. And SWAG is first on the list, hope to see you there, weather permitting.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gedward said:

Thanks Pete.

The sides are made with a batter and a very slight curved, gradual slope.

A few years ago @Stubby47 posted a drawing somewhere on RMweb showing the cross-section of a Cornish hedge.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It's been said on this forum many times that a layout is never truly finished. In fact many never do get finished like the last two, Kanator and Bovey Tor. But I'm very pleased to announce that yesterday 'Bodmin Moor' was signed off by the quality controller as DONE! 

So I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your support. And if you're able to get to SWAG in April, it will be great to meet y'all. And now we'll be heading straight back to 'Bovey Quay' my Brixham-ish layout and I hope you'll all join me on that journey.

Cheers!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 5

4 hours ago, Gedward said:

And now we'll be heading straight back to 'Bovey Quay' my Brixham-ish layout and I hope you'll all join me on that journey.

Excellent George. Your Quality Controller is quite a stickler. 

Unfortunately, living top right in England, SWAG being bottom left is too far away. But looking forward to joining you on the RMWeb special train to Bovey Quay. Just drop departure time on here and I'll be along. Please can I have a window seat?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This video from the Penwith Landscape Project shows and illustrates the parts of a Cornish hedge starting at 9.30. Certainly the whole first 40' is a great watch though, IMHO.

A short video of a hedge in construction is here: 

Edited by Pete Haitch
Remove red wine waffle.
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

If any fellow rabbit hole descenders wish to check what colour the stone in the Cornish hedges (or buildings) for the part of Cornwall they're modelling might be; the following downloads may be of use. 

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/building-stones-england-cornwall-isles-of-scilly/

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/zpzmpeig/cornwall-building-stone-guide-2022-final.pdf

The 2007 version of the latter is probably more useful:

https://www.cornishhedgers.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Cornish-Building-Stone-and-Slate-Guide-2007.pdf

For more detailed info on what rock was coming out of various quarries, "The Identification of Heritage Quarries Minerals Safeguarding DPD Evidence Report" 2 November 2016 is useful. (I can dm a copy should anyone want one - I think the original went off-line when the Cornwall Council website was reorganised 2or 3 years ago.)

Pete.

Edited by Pete Haitch
Spelling & tautology
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2024 at 23:57, Pete Haitch said:

Much enjoyed, thanks for sharing!

“You have to see the job finished before you start, and work accordingly.”

“You use the stones you have got, and not the ones you haven't got.”

"If you can move a stone an inch, you can move it anywhere."

"I know it's time to pack up and go home if the stones stop talking to me,"

Quite :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

Pretty much how I view every modelling task - a 'mind's eye' thing - and I'm surely not the only one.

The only unknown is how meandering the path will be between the visualisation and the end result!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/04/2024 at 12:52, Schooner said:

I'm also aware before I start something, that if things don't go to plan, a do over could well be on the cards.

For example, I painted the backscene for Bodmin Moor three times. Each time I thought it was fine when finished, but after a few days I scrapped it and started again using a different reference image. It's quite hard to be objective when you're too close to the work and just standing back is not really good enough. This has been the case many times and I don't feel gutted that I have to start again, I actually find it rather refreshing and the work improves immensely too.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Yesterday was very special and I really enjoyed my first ever show as an exhibitor. Here's a few pics from SWAG '24, see if you can spot me.

Clue: I'm next door to @mullie

577C926F-55A6-4F88-9552-4081C643ECF1.jpeg.96ad45a7a8be854622531e4e0702a317.jpeg

IMG_3100.jpeg.6209c588c4d0b57fa38703b43dce508c.jpeg

IMG_3105.jpeg.c6fc24fa7d186a06e9165561e07a734e.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg.87b11e5cb2ce3233cbe2b776e7a4e565.jpeg

20240428_095012.jpg.04eadee5cd254a30b7f5a317244f4a2f.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Not long back from SWAG and right now we're packing up for 'Exmoor Rail' in Minehead next weekend.

We're situated next door to @NHY 581, hope to see some more of you there.

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I touched on this briefly yesterday, over at Chufnell Regis.

I'm blessed with a reasonable sized spare room here (20ft x 8ft) but...

For a bunch of reasons I've now decided to continue building diorama / cameo layouts:

• Working in 7mm rather limits what can be achieved in terms of track radii. Although many thanks to @Harlequin there are some interesting work arounds available. 

• I really enjoyed modelling Bovey Tor but all the months building baseboards and wiring etc, not so much.

• Running operations was never the reason for coming back to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus.

• I really enjoyed exhibiting Bodmin Moor at SWAG and I'm also looking forward to Exmoor Rail this Saturday.

So after a conversation I had at SWAG, I was inspired to start work on a brand new concept. Like my previous layouts, it's a 'what if?' idea. But as it's at the very early stages, there's still a lot of working out and planning involved to make this happen. So I won't share too many details yet but rest assured, I'll be sharing more in the future. What I can say however, this is quite a leap from my past layouts. Instead of being a pastoral scene set out west. This time we're going full on urban and it's set in Europe.  Project X is an exhibition cameo layout in HO. Era 50s/60s giving us the opportunity to run early European steam and diesel railcars etc. 

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

At the Exmoor Rail show yesterday, I announced the start of my next project.

Link in my signature

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1