Bodmin Moor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

Thanks Ade.

Now that we're almost there, I'm looking forward to showing Bodmin Moor at my first ever exhibition, SWAG '24 in April and then Exmoor Rail in Minehead in June.

I’ll look forward to seeing you and Bodmin moor then. Missed SWAG this year, gonna make sure I’m there in 24!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

I’ll look forward to seeing you and Bodmin moor then. Missed SWAG this year, gonna make sure I’m there in 24!

Likewise, will be great to meet you too.

Last year was the first SWAG I was hoping to attend but, it clashed with house viewings, as I was selling my place in London. I had the ticket and a room at the GWR hotel booked, so I was gutted. So this year was my first and it should have been Bodmin Moor's debut but, there's always a but, apart from being unfinished, it was locked away in storage for nine months! So hopefully no more ifs and buts next year.

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 13/12/2023 at 08:05, John Besley said:

Can we have a proper stage by stage backscene painting tutorial including trees... please

Something we can download and save...?

That's an interesting question John, and it is something to consider in the future. But for now...

I've been an avid oil painter for over 50 years. Looking back, it's clear that my paintings have gotten more and more detailed. And this has carried over into modelling structures, scenery and painting backscenes. For me there's absolutely no difference to painting and modelling, in terms of objectives.

Painting a backscene can be a daunting task if you don't consider yourself an 'artist'. But it's often left till late in the day, and should really be considered at the start. It's also worth considering using hardboard or MDF to curve the corners. Something you don't often see on layouts.

It amuses me why some folks will happily spend months building, painting, lining and weathering a loco. But then spend a mere afternoon painting their back scene, which is equally as important, if not more so.

• Always work from a reference of the type of sky / landscape you're going for.

• KISS. If you're not a confident painter, don't choose an image with trees and complicated topography. Stick to a graduated blue or grey / blue sky. 

• Avoid just painting imaginary fluffy clouds on a blue background. In fact, clouds are not the easiest subjects to paint and if not done properly, can easily end up looking like a kindergarten wall.

• Skies are not blue all of the time. A more realistic sky for the UK, would benefit from being toned down with grey.

Working from paint match pots is fine but emulsion paint dries fairly quickly so not the best if you're trying to get graduations in colour tones.

• Oil paint is a lot more flexible in terms of drying. So gives plenty of open time to change your mind and make adjustments. And if you work in layers like I always do, the depth of colour can be quite amazing!

(Extract from the Bodmin Moor how-to demo.)

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

A lovely dead tree with exquisite moss work.

These are made from various twigs found in the garden. A bit of cut and shut to help nature out here and there. PVA sealed, painted and 1mm static grass sprinkled strategically.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

We're very pleased to announce that the 'Bodmin Moor' UK tour is well and truly happening.

Three shows booked for 2024. WOO HOO!

SWAG '24  –  April 28th

Exmoor Rail  –  June 1st

Rail-Ex  – October 26th & 27th

Hope to get the chance to meet some of you then.

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 6

Oh no, the lids blown off his* logs! Gonna be a grim January or a ton of effort to get that sorted...unless a friendly fireman can be encouraged to boot a bucketful of coal off the passing daily pick-up goods and it rattles past, perhaps...

*Taking a totally  blind 50/50 chance

Edited by Schooner
  • Funny 3

Just caught up with this superbly modelled scene.

Reminded me of the Liskeard and Caradon, which I walked a few years ago.

I attach this photo by way of inspiration.

PontonsPiece02.jpg.c1c51a4c41cce8cc5f32acfc4e48bb3d.jpg

• Like 11