Chop Yat - The NER through the North York Moors.

Worsdell forever

• Worsdell forever changed the title to Chop Yat - The NER through the North York Moors.
  • RMweb Gold

The track plan is based on various stations in the area, such as Snainton, Hovingham and Kettleness.

20230919_153549.jpg.e97ede49c35518d2f225e110427b8f53.jpg

Proposed traffic.

Despite the lack of Ironstone this far west there was still plenty of traffic to keep the line reasonably busy, a cattle train ran from the Pickering line to Stokesley on market days, through passenger trains from Teesside to Scarborough and a Saturdays only York to Stockton and return, reversing at Helmsley.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

The LNWR of all companies actually proposed a line up bilsdale to serve hartlepool docks which somehow they had a stake in

The line was to use the Starbeck and Pilmoor branch and that connection to the ryedale line which was built but never used was supposed to be part of it

No idea where it would have ran on teesside but a substantial tunnel was to be built under clay Bank 

I've seen somewhere that earthworks were started in bilsdale but I can't confirm this 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

You could build it in the style of Malton and Driffield where things got scaled back 

Maybe model what could have been called Broughton tunnel with a double track portal but only single track . As if LNWR started it but pulled out and was completed as an independent branch and ran by NER

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, russ p said:

You could build it in the style of Malton and Driffield where things got scaled back 

Maybe model what could have been called Broughton tunnel with a double track portal but only single track . As if LNWR started it but pulled out and was completed as an independent branch and ran by NER

The back story for the line is all decided, it's in a similar style to the Whitby to Loftus line where a small (in this case the third fictitious) local company started to build then ran out of money and the NER finished the build then leased and later bought the line. 

I think the tunnel would be a bit further up the valley.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 49395 said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Is adapting the fiddle yard from Greyscroft to make it a circuit an option?

I had thought about that, it would be possible but I don't think it would have the capacity.  

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, russ p said:

The LNWR of all companies actually proposed a line up bilsdale to serve hartlepool docks which somehow they had a stake in

The line was to use the Starbeck and Pilmoor branch and that connection to the ryedale line which was built but never used was supposed to be part of it

No idea where it would have ran on teesside but a substantial tunnel was to be built under clay Bank 

I've seen somewhere that earthworks were started in bilsdale but I can't confirm this 

My memory from reading up on that proposal a couple of years ago was that the LNWR were negotiating for the rights for the Rosedale ores but the NER grabbed them instead. Outcome the incline and Rosedale branch for the NER was built and the proposal dropped by the LNWR as they lost the option for the iron-ore freight. My guess is that had the LNWR actually got the ores contract they would have tried to do a deal with the NER anyway to get some running rights or similar rather than build a very costly line through Coxwold and the Gilling gap and then west of Helmsley and on up Ryedale & Bilsdale plus the tunnel through at the north end. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Looking forward to this developing. I have a small connection to the area. My late father went to school in Hawnby for several months of the year as my grandfather worked for the Earl of Mexborough durning the 1930’s at Arden hall.

On my grandfather’s day off he would reverse cars up Sutton Bank as the majority then had gravity feed fuel tanks. So we now have four generations in the family who have driven up and down Sutton Bank.

Keith

• Like 4

Excellent project well researched like a good historical novel. Great to see proper baseboards under construction. One comment on the use of T nuts. My experience is that they can tend to work loose. The industrially installed ones are fine on furniture but the diy version leave a bit to be desired. My solution on Houghton Street was to glue a small offcut of ply to sandwich the T nut in place. Subsequent layouts use a a nut welded captive on a 50mm washer but that is another story. I look forward to following this build, I still have the books on Rosedale from a never built layout 40 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, doilum said:

Excellent project well researched like a good historical novel. Great to see proper baseboards under construction. One comment on the use of T nuts. My experience is that they can tend to work loose. The industrially installed ones are fine on furniture but the diy version leave a bit to be desired. My solution on Houghton Street was to glue a small offcut of ply to sandwich the T nut in place. Subsequent layouts use a a nut welded captive on a 50mm washer but that is another story. I look forward to following this build, I still have the books on Rosedale from a never built layout 40 years ago.

The nuts were only cheap and can easily be changed for something more substantial if necessary, perhaps a 1/8" or 1/4" steel plate tapped and with a couple of holes drilled to fix them to the board.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

The nuts were only cheap and can easily be changed for something more substantial if necessary, perhaps a 1/8" or 1/4" steel plate tapped and with a couple of holes drilled to fix them to the board.

Fair enough. They certainly wouldn't last too long using power tools to whizz the bolts out. Iike the idea of tapping out a short length of steel. I also use the joining bolts to connect the busbars between the boards........

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, KeithHC said:

Are those British Finetrax points and crossovers.

Keith

Yes, B7s, on the mainline are the newer fabricated rail crossing and the ones in the yard are the original cast crossings. Superb kits as long as the printed plastic lasts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Forgot to ask what time era are you basing this layout on. Also did you consider modelling Riveaux and include a tramway connection to the Waterloo plantation. 

Keith

It will be 1918/19ish. When I was looking around at locations and this proposed line came up it was pretty much settled what I wanted to model, not done a bucolic branchline station in a pastoral landscape since I was a kid!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/09/2023 at 14:56, Worsdell forever said:

I've used threaded inserts like these on my last couple of layouts (and several other DIY projects; I also use them to fix a pillar drill and mitre saw to my workbench).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Threaded-Flanged-Furniture-Carpenter-Project/dp/B09N1Q6V56/ref=asc_df_B09N1Q6V56/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=570420064276&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1609350159466634588&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007103&hvtargid=pla-1620588124454&psc=1

Have had no problems with them working loose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey mate, you don’t hang around do you? At EXPO EM, the photos you showed us was of a couple of baseboards under construction and that was about it, and now you’re further on than a lot of people’s layouts ever get!

Looks lovely already 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2