Chop Yat - The NER through the North York Moors.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Slaters little and large.

Before you go too far with that Midland 8-ton wagon, please can I point out that the bottom of the headstocks should be at the same level as the bottom of the solebars, per this picture I did for my MRJ 286 article (and by D299 topic passim). On the left is what happens if you push the headstock up against the floor; on the right is what it should look like. You do end up with the floor sitting about 0.8 mm to high, i.e. the interior depth a bit shallow, but that's only a problem id modelling an empty wagon.

Photo2Slaters4027endissueannotated.JPG.38606460017c32bc92aa15e97de0139f.JPG

This was built as a quick test piece as we have a lot of Slaters kits for use by the juniors in our club. It was to check to see if you can build them easily.. they aren't worried about if its a 100% perfect wagon.. just nee to get it square..  which it is..

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

This was built as a quick test piece as we have a lot of Slaters kits for use by the juniors in our club. It was to check to see if you can build them easily.. they aren't worried about if its a 100% perfect wagon.. just nee to get it square..  which it is..

Still, it's a learning opportunity in (a) not all kits are perfect and (b) observation of the prototype.

Paul, are your buildings kits or are they scratchbuilt?  I was searching around for the station building plans which I received a few but the one that I managed to build really didn't convince me  once it had made it to about 80%. 

If they were scratch built I would love to know where you got the plans etc... or if kits the supplier as I would like a set.... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, DougN said:

Paul, are your buildings kits or are they scratchbuilt?  I was searching around for the station building plans which I received a few but the one that I managed to build really didn't convince me  once it had made it to about 80%. 

If they were scratch built I would love to know where you got the plans etc... or if kits the supplier as I would like a set.... 

All buildings are scratcbuilt, definitely no kits for any of these!  For the station building there's a basic front elevation in 'North Eastern Record Vol 1' of a Whitby-Loftus building, 'The Forge Valley Line by Robin Lidster has cross section drawings and 'North Eastern Architecture Vol 3' has half a front and half a rear elevation of Grinkle station. The weigh office is from 'The Forge Valley Line' and the signal cabin is a fairly standard S1 type, drawings in all sorts of places.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Paul, 

This is where I had searched out most of the information  to start with.... I should probably have another go at building the station building. I know that most buildings are a lot larger than expected when built to scale... its my day job converting them from a architects drawing to some thing on site!

I will dig all the information out again and start with a scale drawing... that will have to wait for the new year. In the mean time I will watch your progress.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DougN said:

Thanks Paul, 

This is where I had searched out most of the information  to start with.... I should probably have another go at building the station building. I know that most buildings are a lot larger than expected when built to scale... its my day job converting them from a architects drawing to some thing on site!

I will dig all the information out again and start with a scale drawing... that will have to wait for the new year. In the mean time I will watch your progress.  

I'm currently working on the same station building for a model of Sawdon on the Forge Valley line (see my workbench thread). I've prepared drawings by tracing those in the Forge Valley line book into Adobe Illustrator. If the drawings are of use, send me a private message.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DougN said:

Thanks Paul, 

And these are big buildings, as it is at the moment it's 415mm long, nearly 104 foot! and I've left the gents toilet off. Those GWR modellers have it easy with their tiny wooden sheds and a canopy...😁

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Thought it was cold in't shed last night...

Yes. Similar here a bit further north. Was pondering about putting a shirt on over the string vest . . . .

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Bit of paint on the gates, as far as I can tell I probably don't need targets or lamps on the gates, it seems from photos I've found that only more major lines and roads had them. 

20231204_212930.jpg.d97c4f1db02c9d60528b5781f1d05e9e.jpg

20231204_212943.jpg.a700744e7e2bbcab4d65cc072d7edbc3.jpg

20231204_213048.jpg.d31593f421c81d3c1dcbd6ffbc38e295.jpg

Snainton and Thornton Dale had the large lamp with red tinted glass like the one at Beamish. I am still trying to best work out how to make one.

The set up for the gates looks well made and sturdy. Look forward to seeing it in operation (and will be taking notes!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MarkC said:

Interesting point about lamps on gates - another example of proof being in photos 😎

Now watch someone produce photos of the same location both with and without lamps...

Mark

I think if I was to add anything it would be a lamp, they just look better. 

• Like 2