Chop Yat - The NER through the North York Moors.

Worsdell forever

On 06/04/2024 at 12:26, Worsdell forever said:

chinchilla dust

Hi Paul @Worsdell forever.

I've heard there are two types of this chinchilla dust, one that is 'natural' and one that is a type of clay, which doesn't react well with pva.

Not sure if I've heard right, but I have avoided buying until I can clarify. Which sort/ make have you used?

(Ps can you get it at the pet supplies opposite Whitby station ? I nearly went in a few weeks ago and then thought this could be a long conversation about nothing to do with rodents 🤣

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Hi Paul @Worsdell forever.

I've heard there are two types of this chinchilla dust, one that is 'natural' and one that is a type of clay, which doesn't react well with pva.

Not sure if I've heard right, but I have avoided buying until I can clarify. Which sort/ make have you used?

(Ps can you get it at the pet supplies opposite Whitby station ? I nearly went in a few weeks ago and then thought this could be a long conversation about nothing to do with rodents 🤣

It's this stuff, think I got it from the pet shop behind McDonald's at teesside park.

20240411_135953.jpg.ed36aa8c5d1b08301c21bd9924279ce7.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

It's this stuff, think I got it from the pet shop behind McDonald's at teesside park.

Thank you 👍.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2024 at 14:10, Worsdell forever said:

20240411_135953.jpg.ed36aa8c5d1b08301c21bd9924279ce7.jpg

I have used the sepiolite version of it too without problems so far.

4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Horse and cart and a load of sh... 

Emulating Ian's @thetalkinlens Wilton Carr crossing here, also a class B with a Middlesbrough to Helmsley goods. Perhaps they'll meet in the middle? 

20240417_185550.jpg.89a0db28eb5eb144919bdcafef5a2ef4.jpg

Well that’s put a smile on my face. I like that a lot Paul!

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2024 at 17:13, Worsdell forever said:

Got a bit more hedge fixed down, rather pleased how it's gone.

Good to see a laid hedge modelled. Is it genuinely sheep-proof though?

Is there any drystone walling in the area?

As to the difference in pasture, there would be a number of factors, including whether the field was ever mown for hay or had had cows in it. I suspect the better pasture was always used for sheep, so kept well trimmed and fertilised, stimulating new growth. I look forward to DCC skipping lambs. Perhaps the poorer pasture could do with some thistles and cowpats?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2024 at 08:52, Compound2632 said:

Good to see a laid hedge modelled. Is it genuinely sheep-proof though?

No hedge is fully sheep proof...

Is there any drystone walling in the area?

There are dry stone walls in the area but only a short length along the road through the village. 

As to the difference in pasture, there would be a number of factors, including whether the field was ever mown for hay or had had cows in it. I suspect the better pasture was always used for sheep, so kept well trimmed and fertilised, stimulating new growth.

Perhaps the poorer pasture could do with some thistles and cowpats?

As you say, lots of factors in creating good or bad pasture, has it been mucked? Has it been limed? Is it well drained? Then there's just poor management. The lower field is a poor, wet example that will get some boggy bits and some reedy grasses down near the beck, the top field will hopefully get a few nettles, thistles and docks when I work out how to do them. And of course a few of the other...

I look forward to DCC skipping lambs.

No. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

After a few days not being able to do anything on the layout, I managed to have a couple of hours on it last night and have got the fences over the beck fitted. Posts and split rails all from long matches. The one beside the road is a little neater and stronger than the one between fields. 

20240503_220345_copy_1481x981.jpg.9fb052f4ddaed47ff7ac926b93351e29.jpg

20240503_220744_copy_1600x981.jpg.40d2e38cd1606c50baec0ac079b649b1.jpg

• Like 19