Views on the EFE Hymek

teeinox

I am thinking of getting a new OO gauge Hymek to be a stable-mate for the 1st generation Heljan I already have.  I am considering the EFE version in unweathered green.  It is available new for little more than the price of a second-hand 1st generation Heljan one.  As for Heljan’s latest release, for what you get in improvements, it doesn’t seem worth the money.

As far as I can gather, the EFE product appears to be identical to the 1st generation Heljan one.  Is this true?  And is its green livery, quietness, pulling power and construction quality as good as the Heljan original?

Apparently, an obsolescent feature is that the lights are still incandescent bulbs!  Does anyone offer a LED replacement?

Like to read the views and experiences of those who own one.

teeinox

Yes, the EFE one is effectively a Heljan first generation one, an excellent model, no issues with build quality and the headcodes are pre-fitted (unlike the first Heljan issue) and have the correct spacing (unlike the 2nd Heljan issues!). I have no problem with the incandescent bulbs, that's how the real thing was lit and it means a realistic glow rather than Blackpool illuminations 🙂

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

I picked the blue one up a while ago when it was £80 from TMC.

Pretty nice model. Runs well it avoids the droopy coupling and detailled buffer beam of a typical Heljan model. I dont think its been upgraded internally as its still an 8 pin socket.

My only gripe really is you cant tell if the lights are on or not. 

• RMweb Gold

One benefit to buying an EFE Hymek, as opposed to a second-hand 1st generation Heljan one, is that you can guarantee the EFE one will have decent wheelsets. You're pretty much 50/50 on whether the 1st gen Heljan one has the original brass wheels or not (unless the seller specifies they have been replaced), and you can't get replacement wheelsets anymore.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

That's a bit of a blow isn't it .

The brass wheels were truly awful .

Still have a couple of Hymeks in storage that could do with re wheeling .

They might end up on ebay .

I think you can still replace the wheels on the axles, rather than drop it replacements, but it is rather more involved, and I wouldn't know where to start.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Heres drop in replacements, Gold standard, as good as it gets..

https://www.ultrascale.uk/eshop/products/view/CAT007/343

I have done a budget route..

Hornby large coach wheels, R8218 (14.1mm) pushed them off their axles and swapped them on the Heljan axle.. works fine. Your out by 0.9mm, thats 0.45mm at rail.. your not noticing it.

its no where near as difficult replacing diesel wheels than steam (no quartering)… 

Here is the tool to push off the wheels from axles…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Puller-Pinion-Removal-Accessory-Vehicles/dp/B07XZB4WG2/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_ci_mcx_mr_mp_m_1?pd_rd_w=FT8rK&content-id=amzn1.sym.c71790a9-5de9-4e10-9a73-fad0de050a5e%3Aamzn1.symc.653ef66e-f4b5-4ba9-8498-fd22d7e59cc6&pf_rd_p=c71790a9-5de9-4e10-9a73-fad0de050a5e&pf_rd_r=BEZTQN22PGK30TS2PZPQ&pd_rd_wg=hYRTq&pd_rd_r=850a8c25-064a-4e9c-be24-18cef029184b&pd_rd_i=B07Y14RJQT&th=1

and to ensure gauge fit…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363798030183

the rest is brute force and ignorance.

both are very useful tools to have in the tool box long term

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

Many thanks for this adb, worth bearing in mind. I have 4 or 5 (can't remember) packs of 4-axle Heljan replacement wheelsets to sort out a Hymek/26/33 mix when I get around to selecting which ones I want to keep, but I also have two Heljan Brush Type 4s, two Westerns and another Hymek which will only be used on a diesel depot project so I am hoping their brass wheels wouldn't be an issue if just shuttling to and fro. If they don't perform well this looks like the solution - the Westerns have always been a particular concern due to their unique- 4-hole plastic wheel face inserts, but I see that Hornby produce 14.1mm coach wheels with 4 holes (R8234) so there's the answer!

The wheel swaps with the Heljan packs I already have will create a small pile of axle/gear 'donors' so I could assemble some Hornby-wheeled replacement wheelsets without dismantling the recipient models first. The only downside would be the need to repeat the laborious painting of D1733's white wheel rims.....12 wheels x 3 coats + great care.....🙄

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

The wheel swaps with the Heljan packs I already have will create a small pile of axle/gear 'donors' so I could assemble some Hornby-wheeled replacement wheelsets without dismantling the recipient models first. The only downside would be the need to repeat the laborious painting of D1733's white wheel rims.....12 wheels x 3 coats + great care.....🙄

Put the loco on a rolling road, use a white paint pen, or a knackered felt pen dipped in white paint.

put pen to wheel rim, turn on the power and let the wheel turn.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/09/2023 at 00:27, andyman7 said:

...... and the headcodes are pre-fitted (unlike the first Heljan issue) and have the correct spacing (unlike the 2nd Heljan issues!). 

Considering buying one of these now around £129 mark, so with the headcodes are they easily replaceable like Accurascales as I would be be using some leftover ones from Accu for a specific TRN?  Thanks andyman or anyone.

My EFE Hymek arrived with one of the headcodes snapped in half, and no plastic glass over the headcode. Nothing in the box, so my assumption is it left the factory like that. I must contact the vendor to see if they can help replace the ‘glass’ at least. 

I fitted Ultrascale replacement wheel sets to my old Heljan 7036 today, gave the geartrain an oil, and it runs perfectly (had been in its box for several years due to the original wheels - and how often they needed cleaning). The wheels took about three months from ordering to delivery in NZ, but they are well worth the wait IMO. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
On 24/09/2023 at 00:27, andyman7 said:

Yes, the EFE one is effectively a Heljan first generation one, an excellent model, no issues with build quality and the headcodes are pre-fitted (unlike the first Heljan issue) and have the correct spacing (unlike the 2nd Heljan issues!). I have no problem with the incandescent bulbs, that's how the real thing was lit and it means a realistic glow rather than Blackpool illuminations 🙂

This does depend how your running it. I actually have to turn the brightness CV setting down by half on DCC it's way to bright..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2023 at 20:44, teeinox said:

I am thinking of getting a new OO gauge Hymek to be a stable-mate for the 1st generation Heljan I already have.  I am considering the EFE version in unweathered green.  It is available new for little more than the price of a second-hand 1st generation Heljan one.  As for Heljan’s latest release, for what you get in improvements, it doesn’t seem worth the money.

As far as I can gather, the EFE product appears to be identical to the 1st generation Heljan one.  Is this true?  And is its green livery, quietness, pulling power and construction quality as good as the Heljan original?

Apparently, an obsolescent feature is that the lights are still incandescent bulbs!  Does anyone offer a LED replacement?

Like to read the views and experiences of those who own one.

teeinox

Catching up with this thread…. Did you buy the EFE one? How does it compare?

I PX my Heljan one ages ago and wish I had kept hold of it.

I just checked my green Hymek from the very first batch Heljan released, and it does have a light that activates at each of the trailing ends which is supposed to illuminate a tail light, but is actually totally ineffective. Mine might be misaligned, or it may have lost a light guide over the years, but the light bulb doesn't align well with the actual tail light. The headcodes light up fairly dimly, but the lighting is visible even in fairly bright room lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the coupling pockets at the correct height on the Heljan/EFE Rail Hymeks - that is, can a Kadee be fitted well in the NEM pocket? I see that the Hymeks (and many other Heljan-tooled locos) come with stepped couplings. I do see people fitting Kadees on these Heljan locos without any apparent issue, though...?

2 hours ago, cages_cage said:

Are the coupling pockets at the correct height on the Heljan/EFE Rail Hymeks - that is, can a Kadee be fitted well in the NEM pocket? I see that the Hymeks (and many other Heljan-tooled locos) come with stepped couplings. I do see people fitting Kadees on these Heljan locos without any apparent issue, though...?

Many of these Heljan diesels have drooping coupling mounts, even though they appear to be set at only slightly above the correct height to start with (ignoring the droop). This means that even without the droop, they didn't need the stepped couplings. I always replace the couplings with Bachmann straight versions (Hornby would do as well, but I prefer the Bachmann ones). 

The one class 33/1 that I have that doesn't have drooped couplings was the one I wanted for push-pull work with a Kernow 4 TC set. I had to bend the coupling mount down a bit to allow the Kadee couplings I fitted to meet up properly. That was the one instance where the droop would have been useful.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, SRman said:

Many of these Heljan diesels have drooping coupling mounts, even though they appear to be set at only slightly above the correct height to start with (ignoring the droop). This means that even without the droop, they didn't need the stepped couplings. I always replace the couplings with Bachmann straight versions (Hornby would do as well, but I prefer the Bachmann ones). 

Agreed - replacing Heljan's stepped couplings with Bachmann straight ones is standard practice on my models - did a Hymek just a few days ago.

Actually I need some more short couplings, best get them in now while I can as when they sell out the wait for new stock can be a long one.......

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 05:51, Neal Ball said:

Catching up with this thread…. Did you buy the EFE one? How does it compare?

I PX my Heljan one ages ago and wish I had kept hold of it.

No.  Santa provided me with a Dapol class 22 instead!

• Friendly/supportive 1