What do you use to organize the loose bits and bobs from modelling/building?

Chinese takeaway cartons and  plastic  biscuit tins. I have  some  drawer units   4 X 4   and 8 high 4 wide  and various compartmented storage boxes but they are fiddly so Chinese pots are my go to solution.  Downside I don't eat  Chinese takeaways so have  to get wife and son to eat the  takeaway.  Fortunately eBay  gives me a way to sell the rubbish, er surplus parts,  or I would need several sheds.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have 100 or so take away tubs from the local chinese for static grass, flocks, off cuts of card, brass bits, loco spares etc. They stack easy and i just put a label on the front.  For smaller tools, glues, etc i use a large 20 drawer storage unit. For tiny bits, i use one of those draper type drawer units. For larger tools i use magnet strips to hold them. 

Examples;

Britten & James 40 Drawer Storage Cabinet Organiser Unit Black ideal for Workroom, Workshop, Garage or Shed https://amzn.eu/d/9IunAUm

Maison & White Storage Cabinet 44 Drawer | Multi Draw Garage, Shed, & Home Organiser | DIY Tool Box with Small/Large Drawers | Chest Tools & Craft Boxes | Pukkr https://amzn.eu/d/45kkmt9

• Like 1

Margarine tubs (an Iain Rice idea) to keep wagon-sized projects together, which replaced a load of APTIS ticket boxes which were  just the right size. 

Currently gradually being replaced a few at a time with lots of these in various sizes from playing card to A4. 

https://www.google.com/local/place/products/product?ludocid=2941187137922401616&entry_id=1157522284954597387&hl=en-GB&cs=1&gl=uk

• Like 1

Ferrero Rocher

About 40 of the standard size at the last count. The large flat.square presentation boxes are ideal for dismantling mechanisms where small components might be easily lost. It also means that half assembled assemblies can be safely put away at the end of the session.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Whenever I’m at a hotel, getting rare now, I’ll always make off with a few of those individual portionglass marmalade pots. Useful for storing small number of tiny bits.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Redundant 'Browne Issue' filing boxes, long ago discarded by Herts library service. My affianced librarian scooped them up into the boot and back seat of her car and they were shared between her father (for organising his Alvis and Rover spares) and myself (at that time used as useful stock boxes ahead of the move into our future home). Very sturdy and easily subdivided if required, and the earliest impressed date stamp on one underside is for 1908.

• Like 1

I started buying these at my local even though I don't like the stuff that much. But the boxes are just too good!!

IMG-9850.jpg.84b8f8cf5668a618b76793352c094d6f.jpg

Really good quality tubs!

That aside, I have some cheapo Stanley drawers for things that don't cause a mess.

And lastly... I found that organising takes up a lot of space as well as a lot of time, so for bits, bobs, offcuts - things I'm not entirely sure I'm going to need - I found it's just better to put it all in a see-through polythene bag and be done with it.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what you're storing, I've got small drawer units for small bits, margarine tubs for senic stuff and kit parts and a few Really usefull boxes as well. I've also got compartment organisers for other stuff, over the years I've collected just about anything and everything! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/10/2023 at 21:09, doilum said:

Ferrero Rocher

I'm also a fan of the Ferroro Rocher boxes (and their contents) but they may well be an endangered species. This year, so far, I have only seen flat cardboards boxes on sale .

• Like 1