Rails/Cavalex PXA and JXA wagons

AY Mod

• 2 weeks later...

The PXA covered steel carriers were a wagon I never expected to see RTR but delighted that Cavalex are doing them. I use to see them regularly during my school holidays in the 80’s/90’s setting off on the Hamworthy goods. I’m currently working through a rake of BDA’s, of which a long line could usually be found on the long siding beside Hamworthy Park. I remember the Carters of Poole branded wagons and the pair with the larger brandings are absolutely superb to see included for release. These along with a triple pack will allow so many typical workings to be created from that era.

The flex hood is a work of art with the creases and dips from the way it’s tensioned along the wagon. Definitely been worth waiting for 30 odd years for these to come along.

All the best

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some of the PXA wagons listed have RO lettering. Would someone be able to clarify for me what this stood for?

I assume it appeared on wagons at a certain time period in their lives.

On 04/01/2024 at 13:08, LNERandBR said:

Some of the PXA wagons listed have RO lettering. Would someone be able to clarify for me what this stood for?

I assume it appeared on wagons at a certain time period in their lives.

RO - Round Oak (Brierley Hill, West Midlands)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see this small fleet of wagons finding it's way into the RTR market. I worked for Tiphook Rail and GERS in period and had  managerial responsibility for the steel carrying wagon fleet.

They look excellent models but for actual authenticity I would opt for the weathered versions. The canopied JSA's as I knew them were hopelessly abused by BS/Carters and Boston docks when loading and often the 17 wagons remaining on coil duty were more often out of service than in. Once the Honda Swindon flow ended their days were numbered.

As for the Co-Steel conversions, again, the wagon looks splendid in the photos and of course, they did look like that out of the shop, but that was the last time they did look like that. Even though the bodies were robustly built, well, I don't need to tell anyone what a wagon carrying scrap looks like do I?

I had forgotten about the yellow bogies. The wagons were statutorily revised prior to the conversion and as the JSA PD bogie had a known design fault the wagons required a detailed and rigorous 'in-service' inspection procedure and this colour was adopted to ensure they were were to be easily seen and identified. Operating as they had at 102T GLW on fairly rubbish track and being abused they way they were during loading and unloading it was no real surprise the bogie flaws became an issue. That said, at the time, there was a dearth of 102t wagons available and the 102t low track force  bogie designs were still aways off and unproved and untested.

As ever in the rail industry another case of 'make do and mend'............

They'll still look good on my layout though and will no doubt be a damn sight more reliable than the real things. I'll have to get a couple🤣

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...