RMweb

LNWR Dia. 88 Vans

John B

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Chen Melling said:

The drawing also shows that the missing outside bracing was NOT replaced by inside bracing. This is also reflected in the surviving vans in Israel and all works drawings I've seen for wagons built for the Western Front, which had extra safety chains as per French practice.

What it does show, in common with the LNWR drawings reproduced in LNWR Wagons Vol. 2, is the 4" x 1¾" timber X-frame, with additional 3" x 1¾" vertical and horizontal frame pieces (7" x 1¾" abutting the doorframe), hidden from view between the outer and inner skins of ¾" sheeting. The diagonal iron strap, inside or outside, when present, is an additional strengthener rather than a primary structural component. The same goes for the diagonal straps on the ends, which follow the lines of similar timber frame members.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

"First Number : Unknown" ( http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=11243 )

This is also the case regarding the Israeli examples. As head of the museum I decided to restore one as nearly as possible to WW1 configuration and intend to number it "E1281". The other one in our collection is being restored to its WW2 condition as rebuilt to carry meat and mounted on a steel underframe. It will carry its correct WW2-era number as this was found when stripping it.

An option for the wagon at Beamish would be to chose a number from the original series, but I admit that for the Israel Railway Museum's ambulance carriage I chose its earliest known number instead of the unknown (but different) WW1 identity.

WhatsApp2023-10-3009_21.38_c36bc59a.jpg.d838e36b21b921f5dd15333bc8893fa8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The other option would be to number it as E1401 !

This is true but I'm not sure yet there was no E1401 of another type (though it seems that after these the EEF used the same number series as that used on the Western Front). Also, I like how 1281 looks on the drawing - I think it would add to the "character" of the rather plain-looking wagon in our display.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Don't tell anyone ...... but it does look ...... er ...... a little ..... er ..... Midland-ish ! 😁

The X-framing is more characteristic of the Caledonian, amongst others. Midland framing is I\I/I - but there's only so many ways to build a timber-framed van.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

Locomotion Models announced yesterday (07th) that No 21408 - preserved at the National Railway Museum, York - is an exclusive to their National Collection in Miniature range.

lnwr-van.png.8d3e39983fcb717c393862876eb3d8a8.png

What differences are there between the preserved version and how this would have looked in the pre-grouping period.  It looks as though this one has a wooden roof, whereas the two general release wagons (SKU: 945002 and SKU: 945003) have an iron roof.  It therefore makes for something a little different.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...