LNWR Dia. 88 Vans

John B

• RMweb Gold

Just opened the latest Model Rail and seen these advertised - unusual for the paper media to be ahead of Rapido's online media!

Anyway, looking forward to these and more pre-grouping wagons from Rapido.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello RapidoAndy and everyone

Many congratulations to you on this model - we wish you every success with it!👍

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll, we have gradually been adding individual Pre-Grouping vehicles but content space constraints limit us in that respect.

However, in the 2022 Poll, we listed LNWR Freight Stock as something of a 'catch-all' - and I'm pleased to say that it was the top-rated item in our category: Freight Stock: Pre-1923, missing a place in The Top 50 by just nine votes!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 5

9 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

As usual lots of different tooling bits means we have different roofs, many different buffers, axleboxes and doors plus through vac pipes. 

.... and hopefully you will follow it up with an open wagon as well. 🙂

I'm intrigued by the livery on the through piped LNWR wagon.  Apart from the works plate on the solebar, there doesn't appear to be any other markings that indicate company ownership.  Did this livery specifically indicate that it was a through piped vehicle and was it common?  I'm not sure I can justify a through-piped version in East Anglia (as the Great Eastern Railway principally used the Westinghouse air brake), but I'll certainly order the other two LNWR liveried vans.

Edited by Dungrange
missing word
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JShow said:

So...NER/GC/GE/NB wagons and vans next?

Definitely GER.  Please, Please Please (just not the Diagram 72 van that Oxford did).

5 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

GWR Iron Mink, LSWR Goods Vans and now LNWR Dia.88 Vans... we are getting spoiled rotten for pre-grouping stock atm!!

You can also add a LB&SCR van to that list as well - 

https://www.traintimesmodelshop.co.uk/blogs/news/train-times-announces-new-rtr-wagon-lb-scr-d-1433

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

What an excellent choice. 

8 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I'm intrigued by the livery on the through piped LNWR wagon.  Apart from the works plate on the solebar, there doesn't appear to be any other markings that indicate company ownership. 

O yes there are - diamonds are a LNWR wagon enthusiast's best friend!

Up until 1908, LNWR wagons were identified by the solebar numberplate (not worksplate) and a pair of diamonds on each side - a logo said to go right back to Grand Junction Railway days, to distinguish their wagons from those of the Liverpool & Manchester.

From 1908, the initials LNWR were added and from 1910 the diamonds were discontinued. So in the immediate pre-war years one could see wagons displaying all three styles. In post-war photos, the initials are ubiquitous.

In the 19th century, there were quite a few lines whose wagons were identified only by the company name on the numberplate although there were also a good many that used small painted initials too - the GWR and NER for example. The Midland started the fashion for large painted initials round about 1882 though even there it took until the turn of the century for painted initials to appear on all types of wagons.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, JShow said:

So...NER/GC/GE/NB wagons and vans next?

On grounds of quantity alone, Midland?

The 12 ton mineral wagons D607 / D673 and 10/12 ton merchandise wagons D663A, which share a common underframe, were built in large number from 1913 onwards - over 5,000, over 9,000, and over 13,000 respectively - putting their equivalents from the other companies you mention well in the shade and hence being more useful to the modeller of the inter-war and early BR periods. Also the 8/10 ton vans, D362 / D363, of which about 4,000 were built in the 20th century.

All dwarfed, numerically, by the LMS D1666 open which has to be Rapido's best choice to date.

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Neis iawn!!!  I keep telling myself I've got plenty of general merchandise goods stock for a daily pickup, Dimbath Metals, and the odd delivery to the colliery, and that I am nobbut a poor old pensioner who needs to concentrate funds on more important matters like Diagram N auto-traileres and existing/planned projects.  But people like AC and Rapido keep producing lovely little wagons and vans, and the poor things look at me like that.  They need a home, and I'm soft-hearted.

This will be very difficult to resist, and I foresee an epic resistance failure looming.  Just the one...

In more general terms, it is good to see more pre-grouping RTR appearing, as it will encourage modelling of that era.  Anything that encourages modelling is by definition A Good Thing for Johnster, as it will all add momentum to his desire for more and more obscure RTR products, which might result in an A10 auto-trailer, or an A43/A44, or even a TVR gangwayed pair of auto-trailers, which he wants for Cwmdimbath.

Unfeasible wishlisting?  Moi??!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still live in hope that the D1897 and relatives are one day looked at properly, but an LNWR diagram is great to see visited. Any LMS constituent van is good by me, and to be honest I'm glad its not the MR D362/D363 after the batch of Slaters kits I recently built. These will pad out my pre-WW2 roster very nicely indeed and add to the early BR stuff I tend to lean towards. Plus is an ideal candidate for a dilapidated industrial railway stores van.

Now, if only someone were to produce a ubiquitous LMS 0-6-0 of non-Midland origin...Something, oh, 17 or 18 inches or so.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

This one is familiar https://railsofsheffield.com/products/lnwr-d88-10t-covered-van-br-departmental-no-0264998   as the photo shows should read M264998  but they haven't attempted an unpainted finish. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsvan/e2f9c462e  Schoolboy snap from a train window on my way to fail (fortunately) an interview at Bangor Univ. 

Paul

• Like 1

The yawning ready to run gap remains the LNWR brake van which is an enabler for LNWR freight.  That said LNWR coverage is patchy with no off the shelf coaches other than Genesis and the coal tank as the only real freight loco (Super D is not LNWR)

The price point is interesting as compared Bill Bedford's diagram 32/33 at about £23. Is about the same slowing for transfers etc.  For a simple livery wagon, 3D is competitive.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

On grounds of quantity alone, Midland?

The 12 ton mineral wagons D607 / D673 and 10/12 ton merchandise wagons D663A, which share a common underframe, were built in large number from 1913 onwards - over 5,000, over 9,000, and over 13,000 respectively - putting their equivalents from the other companies you mention well in the shade and hence being more useful to the modeller of the inter-war and early BR periods. Also the 8/10 ton vans, D362 / D363, of which about 4,000 were built in the 20th century.

I'd certainly be up for a few Midland wagons (more so than any other company bar the Great Eastern). Not so much the mineral wagons, but certainly a few general merchandise wagons and vans.  However Mousa Models seem to do resin prints of both the D607 and D663A and Slaters have a kit for the D362 / D363 vans, so that may be why Rapido chose this LNWR prototype over a Midland wagon.    I don't think there is a kit of the LNWR Diagram 88 wagon available.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Downer said:

Great news. But simply an hors d’oeuvre surely - the minefield of LMS vans stretches out ahead….

Frankly,  i would rather that they concentrate on the minefield of pre-grouping opens and vans that stretches ahead. 

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

I have to admit, I'm curious about just how far spread these vans went; they mentioned being used by the War Department, and then later by the British Army, up until the 1960's, with some vans also ending up in industrial use- could you perhaps imagine the LMS flogging off some of the early diagrams to private/light railways in the 1920's?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello RapidoAndy and everyone

Many congratulations to you on this model - we wish you every success with it!👍

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll, we have gradually been adding individual Pre-Grouping vehicles but content space constraints limit us in that respect.

However, in the 2022 Poll, we listed LNWR Freight Stock as something of a 'catch-all' - and I'm pleased to say that it was the top-rated item in our category: Freight Stock: Pre-1923, missing a place in The Top 50 by just nine votes!

Hello again everyone

I had overlooked that - during the latter part of last year following the 2022 Poll - I worked with a number of societies and individuals (notably Mr Compound 2632 of this thread) to improve the listings of specific pre-Group freight stock.

I'm pleased to say that Diag.88 was already on the list - so I have deleted it giving us space for another item in 2024.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Crantock said:

The yawning ready to run gap remains the LNWR brake van which is an enabler for LNWR freight.  That said LNWR coverage is patchy with no off the shelf coaches other than Genesis and the coal tank as the only real freight loco (Super D is not LNWR)

The price point is interesting as compared Bill Bedford's diagram 32/33 at about £23. Is about the same slowing for transfers etc.  For a simple livery wagon, 3D is competitive.

London Road Models produce kits for both the LNWR 10T four wheel and 20T six wheel brake vans, priced at £25:00 and £37.00. The former has  cast w/m body components, the latter a one piece resin cast body, both having etched n/s underframes. However, they have to be assembled and painted, something apparently increasingly difficult for many people.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

I have to admit, I'm curious about just how far spread these vans went; they mentioned being used by the War Department, and then later by the British Army, up until the 1960's, with some vans also ending up in industrial use- could you perhaps imagine the LMS flogging off some of the early diagrams to private/light railways in the 1920's?

The WD built some very similar vans during the Great War. Some of these were later modified to more closely resemble the D.88s - the two WD/Army examples in our range are this type.

The WD-built ones did end up in a few different places, the L&YR bought some, for example.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Crantock said:

Coverage is patchy for any pre-grouping company. But the point that can't be stressed too much is that post-1917, with common user arrangements for ordinary opens and vans, a numerous type such as this could be found anywhere. No bucolic GWR BLT should be without one!

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2