Next Years Announcements (9th Jan btw)(not wish listing!, well that was the idea, but......)

Pmorgancym

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Nova Scotian said:

Oh, sorry - not sure how I missed that one!

I also missed their Hunslet 16" announcement apparently, I was thinking that might be an industrial tank that Hornby would tackle.

Yeah, I've missed announcements before 😄

They haven't actually released any details yet though, only showed an initial CAD.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

PECO announces a new range of Broad Gauge track to complement the period GWR steam locos from Accurascale, coaches from Hornby and wagons from Dapol, whilst Bachmann produce a set of suitable buildings and Heljan do whatever...

The day RTR GWR broad gauge becomes reality is the day I sell everything I own and become a solely GWR modeller 😄

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

PECO announces a new range of Broad Gauge track to complement the period GWR steam locos from Accurascale, coaches from Hornby and wagons from Dapol, whilst Bachmann produce a set of suitable buildings and Heljan do whatever...

The problem will be that the Peco track will be 7mm scale, the Accurascale locos will be 4mm, the Hornby coaches will be TT:120...

• Funny 7

6 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The day RTR GWR broad gauge becomes reality is the day I sell everything I own and become a solely GWR modeller 😄

And buy a massive house. You'll need it!

Even for 4mm scale. I'm afraid you aren't getting those locomotives going around "train set" curves any time soon.

I think that's why many broad gauge modellers take up 7mm scale as you need a large space anyway.

Jason

• Agree 2

Just imagine a Pearson Well Tank, or a Rover in 7mm scale, running on track 50mm or so* wide...  🤪

Just thought, would it be "early" Baulk Road or "late" Tranverse sleeperage?

* Slightly sloppy calculation - should be 49.14mm!

Edited by Hroth
Updated width of Broad Gauge in 7mm scale and sleeper question...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

- Hornby Clan class (reckon it's time to see one again)

You mean in addition to Clan Stewart and Clan Macdonald which are still around new in shops? I reckon the Clan demand might just have been satisfied for now.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Helmdon said:

You mean in addition to Clan Stewart and Clan Macdonald which are still around new in shops? I reckon the Clan demand might just have been satisfied for now.

Where?

None in any of the major retailers and sold out at Hornby straight away.

I'm afraid one or two lurking on the shelves of obscure shops with just a PO Box address or a certain Sheffield retailer that charges extortionate prices doesn't count.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Where?

None in any of the major retailers and sold out at Hornby straight away.

I'm afraid one or two lurking on the shelves of obscure shops with just a PO Box address or a certain Sheffield retailer that charges extortionate prices doesn't count.

Jason

They could always jump on a certain trend and we'd get:

- express blue

- experimental blue

- desert sand/khaki

- maroon

- BR big logo blue

- Intercity swallow

- Provincial railways

- Transport for Wales/ScotRail Saltire

- Harry Needle

- Network Rail Yellow

Eight-to-ten "might have been" liveries. Run 50 of each, you've got 400-500 added to the run. Special collectors certificate and you're golden. 

In seriousness, few Clans still around new, those that are are 190 GBP plus showing there's strong demand (limited discounting). It might be they need to give it a couple more years, but I certainly see another clan run in the next three years. 

Edited by Nova Scotian
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

That's surprising, for a geographically limited and not entirely successful class.  Maybe the Scots are snapping them up.

How is this geographically limited?

The engines also performed on Glasgow–Crewe, Manchester and Liverpool services, Edinburgh–Leeds services, Carlisle–Bradford services, and finally the Stranraer Boat Train workings.[19] As more crews got used to them, the class could be found far from home territory at destinations as diverse as Aberdeen, Inverness, Port Talbot, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bristol, and even London.[19] 

Clan number 72001 to this day remains the only Pacific locomotive to have worked over the West Highland Line, the result of a successful trial held in early 1956 to ascertain whether a Pacific type could traverse this steeply graded line.[20] Having passed that test, a tribute to the versatility of the class, Clan Cameron was allowed to work special trains for the Clan Cameron gathering that took place in June of that year.[21]

One was also allocated to the ER for a while for tests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_6

I also don't understand the idea of them not being successful as they lasted until virtually the end of steam. Their 15 year life was longer than many diesel classes including most of the WR Hydraulics.

Jason

• Like 2

I'll jump in again and predict three classes we WON'T see from anyone-

1.  A North Eastern/LNER D20 4-4-0.

2.  A North Eastern Atlantic

3.  A Jersey Lily.

having said that I'd like them all in TT.....

Les

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Seeing the B4 mentioned.  I wonder if they'd got some one into development of  'full fat' B4 and got blind sided by Dapol.  Messing with the drawings and a 3d printing exercise was something for the telly, that showed their development process without giving too much away.

And if we must have predictions, having drained the well of 66s.  Move the 153 into railroad plus and start churning them out in the myriad of liveries.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not in this announcement. The TT announcement is separate as they are different ranges.

Jason

Thus far.   Things might change as part of the change to the way announcement system - we don't know what Hornby might, or mght not do rearding how they group announcements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Arguably it's in Hornsby's interests to spread their announcements out over the year and create a cycle of buz, wish listing and froth throughout the year rather than to concentrate it in one event.

Mind you, will play merry hill with a catalogue 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rovex said:

Arguably it's in Hornsby's interests to spread their announcements out over the year and create a cycle of buz, wish listing and froth throughout the year rather than to concentrate it in one event.

Mind you, will play merry hill with a catalogue 

Doesn't work with Bachmann though IMHO.

You just end up with four loads of wishlists rather than one. Then the models arrive over the next couple of months and by then you've forgotten they were even announced as it was so low key.

It wasn't until I bought another 94XX Pannier last week that I remembered Bachmann had announced more of them!

Jason

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Doesn't work with Bachmann though IMHO.

You just end up with four loads of wishlists rather than one. Then the models arrive over the next couple of months and by then you've forgotten they were even announced as it was so low key.

I don't know so much.  How long were the SECR Birdcage sets in the Bachmann catalogue before we finally saw them on the shelves?

Se against that, the EFE SR Boosters were announced in the October/November time frame and I've already had the email from Wicor Models telling me mine are ready to collect the next time I'm in town.  To me, that has been a far more satisfying customer experience plus, when we were waiting for the Birdcage sets I was actually working in said shop and was constantly having to defend Bachmann's poor track record of delivery to customers.

• Like 2

There probably might be a new tooled BR Class 37? Or perhaps No considering Bachmann already make a very stunningly beautiful one? As there will be some new tooled ones for Hornby TT:120 (BR Green is being produced that's the one for me! 😍)  I'd love a Hornby Dublo one mind! Perhaps a Hornby Dublo InterCity 125 Class 43 HST power cars all glossy and metal 😍 (I know there won't be) 

I don't know how I think about this supposedly new approach of new announcements throughout the year. However  I mean I do love new announcements throughout the year mind. Although the thing is doesn't this mean, that these later annouced announcements intended for release in 2024 will enviably actually be in the following years catalogue of 2025 and not the 2024 one?

Also the 2016 A4 size glossy coffee table catalogue magazine that was promised (to fill the gap) if there was enough demand, (perhaps there wasn't enough demand after all) never meterlised. I'd still buy one if one was put together almost eight years later! 

Edited by RyanN91
Wasn't typo was
  • Like 2