RMweb

Heljan Class 24 - O Gauge

AY Mod

• Moderators

‘24s’ for ’24 – SULZER TYPE 2s UNVEILED AT WARLEY NEC SHOW! 

image.png

You asked for it, so we’re delivering it. In recent years we’ve received more requests for an ‘O’ gauge Class 24 than anything else. So we’ve gone ‘all out’ to bring you not just a Class 24/0, but also the later Class 24/1s AND Scottish Region ‘24/1s’ with twin headlights. 

The ‘skinhead’ Class 24/0s will arrive first, in six authentic BR era liveries, with five Class 24/1s to follow in 2025. Look out for the first engineering prototypes on display at the Warley NEC show on November 25/26 2023 and Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow on February 23-25 2024. 

These outstanding new models feature all-new body toolings with authentic variations between the different sub-types, bespoke bogie and underframe parts, detailed cab interiors and much more! Variations include bodies with original skirts or skirts removed, Scottish Region tablet catcher equipment, different roof panel and fuel/water tank arrangements, original or revised sandboxes and twin car style headlights fitted to Class 24/1s based at Inverness in the 1970s (see below).

image.png

Other features include authentic drilled out wheels and bogie equalising beams, etched grilles, separately fitted handrails and pipe runs, separate headcode discs, etched metal step covers and boiler grille cover plates. 

image.png

These ‘new generation’ models also feature a plug-and-play DCC decoder interface (ESU Loksound XL decoder required), powered roof fan, six separately switchable light functions and our renowned heavy duty twin motor/flywheel chassis. 
The first engineering prototype sample has just arrived for review and will be on display at the Warley NEC show on November 25/26. First releases planned for early-2025. Look out for further updates soon. Production of all versions will be strictly limited – contact your regular HELJAN stockist today to secure yours. Visit www.heljan.co.uk to find out more! 

Premium Features – Delivered As Standard
•    High Quality Design & Construction
•    Heavy Duty Twin Motor/Flywheel Drive
•    Powered Roof Fan
•    Plug-and-Play DCC Interface
•    Disc and Headcode Panel Variants
•    Plug-and-Play DCC Interface
•    Etched Grilles
•    Separately Switchable Lighting Features
•    Exquisite Detail

image.png

Class 24/0 Models 
2450: BR Green Unnumbered
2451: BR Green Unnumbered (Small Yellow Panels) 
2452: BR Two-Tone Green Unnumbered (Small Yellow Panels) 
2453: BR Blue Unnumbered (Full Yellow Ends) 
2454: BR Green 24090 (Full Yellow Ends) WEATHERED
2455: BR Railway Technical Centre 97201 Experiment 

image.png

Class 24/1 Models 
2470: BR Green Unnumbered
2471: BR Green Unnumbered NER (Small Yellow Panels) 
2472: BR Green Unnumbered ScR (Small Yellow Panels)
2473: BR Blue Unnumbered LMR (Full Yellow Ends) 
2474: BR Blue Unnumbered ScR (Full Yellow Ends) TWIN HEADLIGHTS

SRP £649.00 (SRP £669.00 WEATHERED) 

• Like 16

Great news for the 7 millers but...........

Can we please break this misnomer.  The first fifty locos (D5000-D5049) built were designated class 24/0, and were too heavy. They were technically banned from the Cambrian coast because of their weight / axleload.  The fifty first loco (D5050) onwards were lighter and were designated class 24/1 - incorporating a number of weight saving features in an effort to reduce the axle load.

From loco D5114 onwards the locos were fitted with headcode boxes and tidied up lighting - two tail lamps only, until the "car headlight" versions were created 

There were numerous differences between batches as well as Athermos axleboxes, boiler water tank differences / removals, boiler room roof panels, Tyne dock high level air pipes etc, as well as later cab roof swaps.

Highly recommend you research your intended models if you wish to renumber. and David Hills excellent site Derby Sulzers is a great place to start 

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Covkid said:

Can we please break this misnomer.  The first fifty locos (D5000-D5049) built were designated class 24/0, and were too heavy. They were technically banned from the Cambrian coast because of their weight / axleload.  The fifty first loco (D5050) onwards were lighter and were designated class 24/1 - incorporating a number of weight saving features in an effort to reduce the axle load.

From loco D5114 onwards the locos were fitted with headcode boxes and tidied up lighting - two tail lamps only, until the "car headlight" versions were created 

There were numerous differences between batches as well as Athermos axleboxes, boiler water tank differences / removals, boiler room roof panels, Tyne dock high level air pipes etc, as well as later cab roof swaps.

Highly recommend you research your intended models if you wish to renumber. and David Hills excellent site Derby Sulzers is a great place to start 

Thanks for clarifying the sub classes. I’ve a liking for the Cambrian and this is the first big diesel in O gauge that really tempts me into something BR blue period. Today’s announcement has resulted in some googling of Cambrian Class 24’s and your comment clears a couple of things up. 1) explains why the locos I see photos of are numbered D5050 or higher and 2) why the head code box example in this cracking photo on Flickr is said to be a 24/2 not a 24/1. 

Class 24/2 diesel No 5142

The Derby Sulzers website is great, but hadn’t managed to find the answer to the above on it. 

Thanks

Andrew

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Great news, I guess it was an obvious one to come bearing in mind they have done the 25s already. I guess in fullness of time a 25/0  will follow

With a bit of luck it should be possible to convert a 24/1 to a 25/0.  Removing the water tank and a few roof modifications.  Here’s hoping !.

12 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

There were no 24/2's , this is a 24/1 

Thanks for clarifying that. I must’ve misconstrued what Covkid had said. Was there any class definition between the first fifty and the lighter ones that followed, both with the skin head roofs before the headcode boxes?

thanks,

Andrew

10 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I must’ve misconstrued what Covkid had said. Was there any class definition between the first fifty and the lighter ones that followed, both with the skin head roofs before the headcode boxes?

thanks,

Andrew

No worries , I'm unsure about any definition but I know the fuel/water tanks had differences in sizes to reduce weight

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Andrew Young said:

Was there any class definition between the first fifty and the lighter ones that followed, both with the skin head roofs before the headcode boxes?

As far as I understand that’s where the 24/1 comes in both skinhead & headcode ?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2023 at 11:35, Covkid said:

not sure how this could be any clearer?

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

not sure how this could be any clearer?

A photo stating that a 24/1 with a head code box was incorrectly a 24/2 is what caused my confusion. Hadn’t realised that 24/1’s included both skin head and head code box locos. Now cleared up and my Rat knowledge is improved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... what a dreadful pity I still don't have the room for a 7mm layout based on the Rugby to Market Harborough line c.1965....!!! I mean, what's a chap supposed to do...?!!! Just buy one anyway...? 😁

RYDDb83b9_b.jpg.d80a9eb6babe62a2a2deff425203ca13.jpg

RYLastTrainNVR.jpg.9a00b6c455821a591da5844fd6e1eba4.jpg

RYpost-7638-128256348092_thumb.jpg.ac89d7f7a1493f519bb7fd43a0d7a83d.jpg

RYpost-7638-128256436625_thumb.jpg.b730923e6bc6eb2e6ec47cbf6b873ec4.jpg

RYRailway-Photo-Last-Rugby-to-Peterborough-train-Welford-Kilworth-Station-CLEAN-640x426D5036.jpg.98f8e252baa8973e8b39fafc541bc0a9.jpg

It looks a real beauty of a model, imagine a green / SYP example nicely weathered.... 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... what a dreadful pity I still don't have the room for a 7mm layout based on the Rugby to Market Harborough line c.1965....!!! I mean, what's a chap supposed to do...?!!! Just buy one anyway...? 😁

RYDDb83b9_b.jpg.d80a9eb6babe62a2a2deff425203ca13.jpg

RYLastTrainNVR.jpg.9a00b6c455821a591da5844fd6e1eba4.jpg

RYpost-7638-128256348092_thumb.jpg.ac89d7f7a1493f519bb7fd43a0d7a83d.jpg

RYpost-7638-128256436625_thumb.jpg.b730923e6bc6eb2e6ec47cbf6b873ec4.jpg

RYRailway-Photo-Last-Rugby-to-Peterborough-train-Welford-Kilworth-Station-CLEAN-640x426D5036.jpg.98f8e252baa8973e8b39fafc541bc0a9.jpg

It looks a real beauty of a model, imagine a green / SYP example nicely weathered.... 

All all those hoses hung up neatly "Nidge".  Just how a loco should be presented eh  !!!

Lovely piccies and thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, silverlink said:

Looks like Heljan are going down the same route as they did with the class 26 and 27 

NO NOSE DOORS which if I'm correct they should have on the green version.

silverlink

My thoughts are I hope not.  Hopefully it is to early to tell given based on the two examples shown - early days.

29 minutes ago, silverlink said:

Looks like Heljan are going down the same route as they did with the class 26 and 27 

NO NOSE DOORS which if I'm correct they should have on the green version.

silverlink

Too early to say for sure, I think with the current UK team in place,  Heljan have upped their game recently (eg the retooled 37, 55 and new 73) and thus any all green version will more than  likely have doors. 

Edited by 37114
Typo
  • Like 1