The return of little turnton! N gauge tail chaser

18B

Below is the thread from 13 years ago! From way back when I started this “layout”, well it went into hibernation in 2010!!! And long story short, divorce, three children, a new wife, and two more children! And finally I’ve come back to the layout in 2023! see attached pics of progress. 

IMG_6879.jpeg

IMG_6877.jpeg

IMG_6876.jpeg

IMG_6875.jpeg

IMG_6874.jpeg

IMG_6730.jpeg

IMG_6732.jpeg

IMG_5698.jpeg

IMG_5614.jpeg

9D7E2C7E-1E78-4EA9-B0D9-C1EEE6C9413A.jpeg

C7BF6B15-C7FB-472C-89B2-627FEB47E99A.jpeg

F007328F-2BF5-4E76-98DE-8CF412E81EC5.jpeg

Lessons learned, 

• The home made stone walls looked ok, but should have been much thinner
  • The purchased stone walls look great and I should have used those, (but I didn't know about them when I first did my own walls)
  • Plaster of paris is fine but gets heavy if too much is used,  
  • Not sure why the glue doesn't seem to take the scatter too well and requires another layer as patches show through, 
  • The home made ballast of road sweepings! could have done with a finer siv to have removed some of the larger lumps but overall looks ok IMHO, 
  • Even with the smallest possible circular "layout", it's surprising just how much its costs! 

• RMweb Premium

Hello 18B,

Well! What you've done so far looks very good indeed, I can already imagine a short train trundling carefully around that curve with some kids in the paddock waving.

Cheers - Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, marc smith said:

Looking good. I didn't see this layout first time around. Having built several micro shunting layouts, there were times at exhibitions, when I longed for something I could set up and just leave running. Looking forward to seeing this one progress :) 

That's the aim, would be nice to see it at a local show perhaps, it has a second loop at the back so two train can be put on it and swapped after a while 

• 2 months later...

Must have had this kestrel station building and ratio awning for over 20 years! Before finally building them together 

CAAE1A8E-0D2C-4D6C-825D-8E793C30CEFD.jpeg

858B46EE-B639-4524-AED4-7D5843E06657.jpeg

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

IMG_8548.jpeg

Edited by 18B

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2023 at 06:48, 18B said:

Lessons learned, 

• The home made stone walls looked ok, but should have been much thinner
  • The purchased stone walls look great and I should have used those, (but I didn't know about them when I first did my own walls)
  • Plaster of paris is fine but gets heavy if too much is used,  
  • Not sure why the glue doesn't seem to take the scatter too well and requires another layer as patches show through, 
  • The home made ballast of road sweepings! could have done with a finer siv to have removed some of the larger lumps but overall looks ok IMHO, 
  • Even with the smallest possible circular "layout", it's surprising just how much its costs! 

wouldnt be too hard on yourself as its looking great-and obviously bringing you enjoyment
following suggestions can be considered or ignored lol:
-  too late for this build but landscape from polystyrene topped with papier mache is light and durable (& messy! - though possibly no less messy than plaster) 
-  supermarket own brand cheapest hairspray over top of scatter material works. 
- you could still use finer material ie fine sand or polyfilla to smooth out the road, pollyfilla sandpapered and painted a really pale grey makes a good road finish, just go over the top of what you have now? 

to be honest the stonework and steep hillsides look typical of the peak district and the middleton top line , full of sharp curves and short tunnels?  

1 hour ago, Russ (mines a pint) said:

wouldnt be too hard on yourself as its looking great-and obviously bringing you enjoyment
following suggestions can be considered or ignored lol:
-  too late for this build but landscape from polystyrene topped with papier mache is light and durable (& messy! - though possibly no less messy than plaster) 
- you could still use finer material ie fine sand or polyfilla to smooth out the road, pollyfilla sandpapered and painted a really pale grey makes a good road finish, just go over the top of what you have now? 

to be honest the stonework and steep hillsides look typical of the peak district and the middleton top line , full of sharp curves and short tunnels?  

IIRC The landscape was done with paper dipped in plaster and topped with a layer of plaster of paris. 

One to remember. 

Might give it a go. 

thank you for the kind comments

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

@18B Nice.

I'd give you some "Likes" but for some reason the reaction buttons are not showing for me in your posts.

I assume you're getting some from other users?

FWiW, I also cannot react to @18B's posts either.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On 27/02/2024 at 11:43, RobAllen said:

FWiW, I also cannot react to @18B's posts either.

I'm afraid not, there doesn’t seem to be the icon choice for me either… 

Edited by 18B

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2024 at 00:18, GWR57xx said:

@18B Nice.

I'd give you some "Likes" but for some reason the reaction buttons are not showing for me in your posts.

I assume you're getting some from other users?

Hi

I believe it’s due to the moderated status of the poster

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 18B said:

I’m 

mum afraid not, there doesn’t seem to be the icon choice for me either… 

You can’t react to your own posts (so they don’t appear), but you should be able to see the buttons against others’ posts.

No idea why you’re moderated, but maybe contact @AY Mod if you don’t know either. I’ve only seen that with new members until they’ve had a few moderated posts.

Posted (edited)

A few more WIP shots, some more work on the station building area completed.

IMG_8825.jpeg

IMG_8826.jpeg

IMG_8818.jpeg

EC0A5BA3-75BD-49AF-A6E9-33E6C83DB568.jpeg

Edited by 18B

• 4 weeks later...