Why do Lynton & Barnstaple enthusiasts seem to prefer the Southern era?

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I think that without exception, all the Lynton & Barnstaple models I have seen have represented the Southern era; also, both replica L&B locos have always carried Southern livery (although for some reason the L&B coaches are in the old company livery).

Why should this be? The original L&B loco livery was (IMHO) extremely attractive; while the Southen coach livery was rather drab. And, apart from the addition of Lew, there was scarcely any physical difference between the line in the Southern era and the independent era.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

On 07/12/2023 at 09:34, Andy Kirkham said:

I think that without exception, all the Lynton & Barnstaple models I have seen have represented the Southern era; also, both replica L&B locos have always carried Southern livery (although for some reason the L&B coaches are in the old company livery).

Why should this be? The original L&B loco livery was (IMHO) extremely attractive; while the Southen coach livery was rather drab. And, apart from the addition of Lew, there was scarcely any physical difference between the line in the Southern era and the independent era.

certainly in terms of locomotives they reached their final form in Southern ownership, so technically if you want to portray things like steam heating (or Lew) then the livery decision makes itself.

However, I’ve always suspected (and I’ve got an L&B Southern era OO9 set up) that it’s the legitimate ability to represent a mainline company livery on the narrow gauge

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I model the Southern era, probably due to more photos being available in that time but also my parents were born in that time despite that they weren't born anywhere near  Devon.

Plus 'Lew' came into existence along with more wagons.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Its an interesting question.

My interest is around the  WW1 time frame (1914-1918) so that has been the driver for my lionheart Taw and Coach buying.

While I am going to use a bit of modelling licence in my layout build, it will be based around 1916ish

• 2 months later...

In 7mm I went with L&B livery as I think it is far more attractive. In 009 I did a 50/50 split so I can run L&B, Southern and preservation eras. I'm not a purist, so any detail differences across the various eras doesn't bother me. 

On 09/12/2023 at 21:41, roundhouse said:

I model the Southern era, probably due to more photos being available in that time

The same reason I model a particular location in the 1950s/60s rather than the operationally more interesting 1930s. Apart from a few BR Standards and Mk1s the locos and stock are the same, just a different shade of black.  

• RMweb Gold

I run late era L&B in 009 and Southern

IMG_1457.jpeg.f2f8c69da129076ee40d9f5243ca164f.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg.26fdb9423d26e5b74fc315dc7d860b0d.jpeg

IMG_1567.jpeg.02c7b48f86a44b24e4e1ba6f7bffcdc0.jpeg

IMG_1527.jpeg.9a809832908d84cf2d746d8f24e92ff2.jpeg

I’ll be running all three eras in 7mm at NGsouth on 27th April

IMG_0463.jpeg.72450217d9db8cd2823cc741d4a38d59.jpeg

And you’ve got to admit the L&B coaches with SR locos looks very good together. 
I guess it’s the fact that the big SOUTHERN lettering just really suits the locos. 
IMG_8617.jpeg.3994f2f6e3e996d50331db1e00df852b.jpeg

IMG_8602.jpeg.9ce0e9ad69dfb9a7254c563dd157f7a0.jpeg

On 07/12/2023 at 09:34, Andy Kirkham said:

I think that without exception, all the Lynton & Barnstaple models I have seen have represented the Southern era

So I think you need to get to more shows 😆

• Like 6