4mm Train reporting number frames

Hi all,

Quick question- does any company do an (etched?) GWR smokebox-mounted train identification number frame in 4mm scale? I've seen a few photos of the real thing and they're surprisingly complicated structures.

If not, does anyone know of a source of dimensioned drawings that could inform a scratchbuild?

Thanks,

Will

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283734323476

Sankey do a sheet of numbers 

I had a white metal one but it was about 40 years ago. Crownline possibly.

doesnt say who does this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/gwr-train-identification-number-frame-245161260

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, longchap said:

I've still got a white metal set from 40 years ago, but never used it, as I"d only seen photos of them used in BR days. 

It would be interesting to drill down into their history. 

Pretty sure they were introduced pre-WW2 in order to cope with Summer traffic where a lot of the trains to the West Country were run in different portions. But off the top of my head I can’t recall where I read that.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Pretty sure they were introduced pre-WW2 in order to cope with Summer traffic where a lot of the trains to the West Country were run in different portions. But off the top of my head I can’t recall where I read that.

Well, you may have seen it in John Copsey's article 'GWR Passenger Train Identification' in BRJ GW Special No.2 (1985). He quotes from a statement in the GWR Magazine of 1934 (no month given, but will investigate later using GWSoc Online Archive).  The numbering system was introduced on 14th July 1934.

The article runs to 8 pages which include lists of numbers from 1939 & 1949. The numbers are 16" tall on 20" plates, carried in a frame 3ft wide.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

15 minutes ago, martinT said:

Well, you may have seen it in John Copsey's article 'GWR Passenger Train Identification' in BRJ GW Special No.2 (1985). He quotes from a statement in the GWR Magazine of 1934 (no month given, but will investigate later using GWSoc Online Archive).  The numbering system was introduced on 14th July 1934.

Found it! It's from the July edition, page 321.  The article says that the new system would be in use until 29th September.

From John Copsey's article I learn that train 610 pictured below was, in 1939 at least, the 9.30am from Newquay to Paddington. However the feature film 'You only live once' advertised on the billboard was released in 1937 which I guess was the year of Norman Hammond's photo. Numbers did change from year to year so this may be a different train. In 1936 train 610 was the 9am from Penzance (from a 1936 Bank Holiday Special Arrangements publication I have, p65).

nhp006_1800px.jpg.1d80f64fbb96460036a3f86a3e94975e.jpg

Norman Hammond was an old guy I used to know in Bristol in the mid-1960s. A life-long railway enthusiast he died in August 1968 - but I regret I don't know whether it was before or after that most significant date - Sunday 11th!

• Like 4