Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Model Rail Scotland 2024

woodenhead

I've taken Friday off work and bought my ticket online. Hopefully be there for doors opening and I plan on being there the full day. 

Graeme 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For info … the cloakroom is closed. 

*Update*: The cloakroom was opened sometime during the morning following feedback. The charge is £2 per item and they confirmed would be open during Saturday and Sunday.

Edited by Patriot87003
Cloakroom opened!

7 hours ago, Patriot87003 said:

For info … the cloakroom is closed. 

Odd it seemed open when I passed this morning and on the way out at 4pm.

Another excellent show, plenty of variety.

Didn’t realise that Eastfield, already massive is adding Glasgow Central station too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Odd it seemed open when I passed this morning and on the way out at 4pm.

Another excellent show, plenty of variety.

Didn’t realise that Eastfield, already massive is adding Glasgow Central station too.

Agree … and yes, following feedback they opened the cloakroom sometime during the morning. They confirmed the cloakroom would be open during Saturday and Sunday. I’ll update my original post … and thanks to the kind folk at Accurascale for storing my bag during the morning!

Enjoyable show; Eastfield looks amazing although seemed to have some tech gremlins. Good luck to the team sorting them for the rest of the weekend and look forward to seeing again.

IMG_3285.jpeg.a7a404219dd331802b13014d38f33934.jpeg

Enjoyed plenty of other layouts especially Crewe Gresty Bridge. Looks great, smooth operation and packed with details including the Mornflake factory. Just needs smellavision … 

IMG_3287.jpeg.163d762e8d58311e03bffc0b1792f1f3.jpeg

Look forward to returning again next year!

• Like 4

4 and a half hours and I don't think I saw everything. Great show. Loved Alston and Kettlewell. Both in the same general area I'm modelling. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Went today , I reckon for about 4 hours and going back tomorrow . While I took an overview of the layouts there is much more to explore. . Always thoroughly enjoyable . We all missed 2021 because of Covid but then I got Covid and missed 2022! , Apart from that I’ve been there every year continuously since 1973 , and I think either 69 or 70before that .  For me it’s one of the highlights of the year . 

I still miss the great days of the MacLellan galleries but it’s been in the shed since 89/90?   Have to say that the SEC seem to have invested in black curtains since last time which to me made the hall a bit oppressive . Either that or it’s the Scottish Undertaking Show next week ! 

The headliner layout Eastfield was stupendous . Eastfield TMD in O Gauge  40 feet by 70 feet I think . Really impressive . However, they did have some tech difficulties which meant when I passed about 11. 15 there was nothing running . When I passed later the outer circuit seemed to be going but no movement in the TMD itself , which was a bit of a shame .   There is an extension to Glasgow Queen St which when complete will be even more impressive . Hopefully it will be running more tomorrow .  Might be one of the downsides in allocating so much floor space to a single layout - if it has a problem . 

operating did seem to be an issue in lots of layouts with not much movement . Again hopefully better tomorrow maybe after settling in and some tweaks made . Wellpark was the star of the show but I am admittedly biased as I like railways around Glasgow and class 303s . Looking forward to looking more at Edinburgh and Lothians “Yetts O Muckhart “ tomorrow . I remember their Glendevon layout and this looks superb .  Ddualt looked good and was running well  and Fountainhill TMD was also entertaining with locos moving in and out of shed , even though TMDs not really my thing , it held me . 

Donaghadee. A revelation . I recognise the sea front and a pub I’ve actually stayed in about 10 years ago little realising there had been a railway behind it , and I’m usually pretty good at recognising railway artefacts !  That’s probably one of the memorable layouts for me this year . 

No bargains that I could see . Looking forward to more tomorrow . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

it’s actually Queen St station, not central. Queen St was the one served by Eastfield, or being entirely the wrong side of Glasgow for central. 

Pity about the tech problems they seem to be having. Hopefully it’ll be firing on all cylinders the rest of the weekend. 

28 minutes ago, Legend said:

Have to say that the SEC seem to have invested in black curtains since last time which to me made the hall a bit oppressive .

I disagree. The curtains are a much more pleasing aspect/ much smarter than blank concrete walls, even if they are black. They also add some much needed sound deadening to such a vast and echoing space. Definitely felt better to my ears/head, don’t feel migrainous after a full day there. 

• RMweb Premium

Great show. Was there from 10:15 til just gone 5pm and did several circuits of the hall. Now reading the programme and I'm sure there's some layouts and trader's I've missed 😲

Eastfield took me straight back to my trainspotting years of the early 80's. Shame nothing was running and I echo other comments that this was common across an awful lot of layouts. Very little moving or even visible on the scenic part of many layouts. 

Great to see Wellpark again. Reminds me of getting the Argyle line out of Central low level to Motherwell daily for some 3 years or so.

Personal favourite was the two Neuburg layouts depicting 1913 & 2013. What a wonderful clever and novel idea. Normally I only give a cursory glance to 'overseas' layouts as not really my thing, but these two were excellent.

A great show, no purchases but that hadn't been on the agenda for this year.

Edit: Curtains. Was that what was different. I did think the hall was very dark / inadequate lighting when I first entered, but got used to it.

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

it’s actually Queen St station, not central. Queen St was the one served by Eastfield, or being entirely the wrong side of Glasgow for central. 

Doh, I knew which one it was but had Central on the brain cos that was where I was at the time I wrote the comment.

I was sat in a Pendolino which departed Central 30 minutes late because the driver got stuck in traffic in a taxi between the depot and the station.  The guard announced that it would be within 15 minutes by Warrington which was wishful thinking as no sooner had it departed the station and it was sat behind a slow moving train which kept it on cautions till Motherwell I think.  So a Delay Repay for me which will pay for my tea.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Personal favourite was the two Neuburg layouts depicting 1913 & 2013. What a wonderful clever and novel idea. Normally I only give a cursory glance to 'overseas' layouts as not really my thing, but these two were excellent.

Well worth trying to catch Jim Finlayson talking through all the differences and how  and why he saw them happening  over the hundred years between 1913 and 2013.

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Legend said:

I still miss the great days of the MacLellan galleries but it’s been in the shed since 89/90?   Have to say that the SEC seem to have invested in black curtains since last time which to me made the hall a bit oppressive .

They even hid the toilet doors behind them - it was only later I looked up and saw the mahoosive signs at roof level - I guess at least the toilets were not overly busy as a result.

I needed a sit down yesterday, there appeared to be just a solitary row of chairs along the side of the hall where the toilets were, that also happened to be where the only bins were too.

13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I was sat in a Pendolino which departed Central 30 minutes late because the driver got stuck in traffic in a taxi between the depot and the station.  The guard announced that it would be within 15 minutes by Warrington which was wishful thinking as no sooner had it departed the station and it was sat behind a slow moving train which kept it on cautions till Motherwell I think.  So a Delay Repay for me which will pay for my tea.

Would that Pendolino have been 1M18 17.30 Glasgow Ctl to Euston? I wondered what happened as RealTimeTrains showed its departure as 17.55, then the delay increased all the way south, arriving EUS 52 minutes late at 23.19 3/4.

6 minutes ago, ModRXsouth said:

Would that Pendolino have been 1M18 17.30 Glasgow Ctl to Euston? I wondered what happened as RealTimeTrains showed its departure as 17.55, then the delay increased all the way south, arriving EUS 52 minutes late at 23.19 3/4.

Indeed, guard very confidently announced as the train began to move that it would be back within 15 minutes by Warrington, it remained stubbornly 30 minutes late all the way to Warrington and then managed to lose another 22 minutes on the four track race track that is south of Crewe.

Which reminds me, I haven't done my delay repay.....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

They even hid the toilet doors behind them - it was only later I looked up and saw the mahoosive signs at roof level - I guess at least the toilets were not overly busy as a result.

I needed a sit down yesterday, there appeared to be just a solitary row of chairs along the side of the hall where the toilets were, that also happened to be where the only bins were too.

yes toilets were well hidden except by the massive sign above , but then not everyone looks up . What you can do is go outside the hall and sit down and take refreshment , as long as you are stamped you can get back in again 

just back from second day, nice talking to Phil on the BRM stand . The show is growing on me , may even go back for a third helping . Now I’m retired I’ll just shove Sunday activities into Monday . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2024 at 23:52, charliepetty said:

Largest Scottish 0 Gauge Layout 'EVER' at Model Rail Scotland this year.

O' We've gone BIG!!!

For those who have seen the hall plan for this years show you may notice a rather large space in the middle of the hall... well it's not a space its actually the largest layout we have ever had exhibited at Model Rail Scotland.

Eastfield by Mick Worrall is an O gauge layout which depicts Eastfield Depot in Glasgow. It's going to be a very popular layout and you'll be able to view from all angles.

Domt miss this !!! 

Show opens 23rd to 25th Feb 2024

Advance E tickets are available here https://modelrail-scotland.co.uk/model-rail-scotland-2024/

Glasgow Eastfield.jpg

That’s absolutely smashing! There’s no way I can make it to the Glasgow show, but I look forward to seeing it at a show somewhere in future.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2024 at 09:57, Emma H said:

All tickets booked for tomorrow. Catching the 05:59 Crewe - Glasgow service so the alarm is set for 04:30 😴😴😴

Good to see you today. Now you know who it is when I’m spouting about signalling. 
And who to slag off when I get it wrong!!!

Paul. 

• Like 1

Great show this year, well done to the organisers.  My impression was that there was more room to circulate as well, so it was easier to find your way around the layouts.

For me, the outstanding layout was Donaghadee, not least for the entertaining commentary from the lads showing it.  As someone observed, there are not nearly enough Irish layouts.

A friend reminds me of a relevant song:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

That’s absolutely smashing! There’s no way I can make it to the Glasgow show, but I look forward to seeing it at a show somewhere in future.

Certainly won't miss it, its enormous!

Haven't been to a show in years but had a good time today. Wellpark, Tellindalloch and Donaghadee being particular highlights on the layout front. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m thoroughly enjoying it . I can’t see any sign of decline in model railways . Yes Fridays were full of men of certain ages,but then we are retired and can go on a weekday . But went Saturday and it’s full of families and younger guys , so I think predictions of the death of the hobby are wide of the mark .

Today I had a new appreciation for Almond Bridge , ok I’ve seen it a few times before , but they succeeded in keeping something on the move most of the time and some really good stock . Reevy Road also superb with lots of trains passing . Class 56s (assuming these  were the new Cavalex ones ) 20, 25,31,37,40,47,55 , 56 and HSTs , really non stop action . Well done guys . Prompted me to make another visit tomorrow ….. why  not it’s only once a year !

Really enthused by Model Rail Scotland . Well done again AMRSS 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have resolved to do two days next year. Whilst not as huge as Warley, everything is so interesting and I found the traders much more accessible due to less crowds especially towards the end of the day. A really cracking day out for the 3rd but certainly not final MRS I go to. Excellent organisation as ever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2