Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Adrian/Mr.Westerham station

Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

It was with great sadness that I learned of Adrian's death.  He said at the beginning of his thread that he had returned to modelling on his retirement.  You would not think so, as he had exceptional skill, going down to the Pound Shop and buying something and turning it into a model.  I was continually amazed.  He started in rural Kent and then after a two layouts did a scene near Waterloo, a grim city scape completely unlike anything he had done previously and pulled it off amazingly.

I asked him once what his occupation had been, and he replied that it was a Sign Writer, one where you painted directly onto the sign with your wrist supported.  (I cannot remember the name of what the support is called.)  He was obviously a man of talent.

He was always helpful and his comments always came with his gentle sense of humour.

I will miss his presence on my thread and the other threads that I follow.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• Moderators

I was really saddened to hear the news; I met Adrian a couple of times and had the chance to photograph his Westeham project. A lovely, lovely bloke who was also a very talented old school modeller and a pretty good snapper too with the pics he treated us to.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, such things always seem a little sadder close to Christmas.

RIP.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

I have had the privilege to meet Adrian and his good lady, at a Show.  There is no better example of a true gentleman and skilled craftsman, that I am aware of, through more than seven decades. Not only did he have the skills, but presented them with clarity and humour. 

My thoughts go to his family, who must be missing him more than any of the rest of us can imagine.

Rest in Peace, Sir.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear this news. I’m less active on this site these days but always enjoyed seeing what Adrian was up to. My thoughts are with his family.

Nestor 

• Friendly/supportive 6

I am very sorry to hear this news, I had noticed he had not posted for a while.

We always gave our layout pictures likes and I very much enjoyed his pictures.

He came across as a very decent chap.

I always think of his layout when I pass through that part of Kent.

Rest in peace Adrian.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very sad news indeed. Adrian's modelling was always inspirational and his thread was a lovely, informative read supported by Adrian's excellent images. 

Rob

• Agree 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

RIP Adrian, you have left a delightful legacy of models and scenes on RM Web to hopefully continue offering inspiration and amusement to fellow RM Webbers, my personal favourite was of Brasted.

Kevin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...