RMweb

Burning tree on intermodal train

• RMweb Gold

Reports coming in that an intermodal train near Needham Market has had a tree fall on it causing a fire and train has dangerous goods on it. A Cambridge to Ipswich unit has returned to Stowmarket 

Not a great night for travelling and tomorrow may still be a mess

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

4E43 with 66740 at the sharp end has come to grief between Needham and Stow, looks like a tree fell onto the overhead as it was passing  - the line is currently shut.

Brecks also severly affected due to trees down, in fact very few trains running around Anglia at the moment although the winds have abated.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

4E43 with 66740 at the sharp end has come to grief between Needham and Stow, looks like a tree fell onto the overhead as it was passing  - the line is currently shut.

Brecks also severly affected due to trees down, in fact very few trains running around Anglia at the moment although the winds have abated.

Stuff like this really pi$$es me off. If there is a tree by a railway  and it is a suspect for falling on the railway due to poor condition,  why isn't it felled? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, russ p said:

Stuff like this really pi$$es me off. If there is a tree by a railway  and it is a suspect for falling on the railway due to poor condition,  why isn't it felled? 

it’s not always possible to tell how a tree is. I had one blow down in my garden a few years ago. Looked absolutely fine on the outside, grew lots of leaves. Was absolutely rotten in the core and was only held up by about 1 inch of wood around the outside. 

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

it’s not always possible to tell how a tree is. I had one blow down in my garden a few years ago. Looked absolutely fine on the outside, grew lots of leaves. Was absolutely rotten in the core and was only held up by about 1 inch of wood around the outside. 

My parents have a few tall trees, and they get them inspected by tree surgeons at least twice a year due to the proximity of neighbouring buildings, and because it's the right thing to do. Fairly early last year, someone from one of the neighbouring houses knocked to let them know he had gained a horizontal tree overnight.

It was half a 60+ft poplar, that has been inspected less than a month before. Amazingly, it landed neatly alongside the rear wall of this person's house - all he could see out the back door and windows was foliage. The only damage caused was to two fence panels and the adjoining post, and some trim had been knocked off a shed. Amazing really! As with yours - looked absolutely fine to the trained eye.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oak trees have a horrible tendency to shed large limbs without warning. A bungalow just along our road had its roof rearranged by one last year. A neighbouring property with a pair of even larger trees in their garden near their house then decided that prevention was much better than cure and had both of them felled, for replacement with some smaller less threatening versions.

Yours, Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Oak trees have a horrible tendency to shed large limbs without warning.

Oh yes. We only bought our present house because the ancient oak and hornbeam woodland was to the North and thus usually downwind. Ne'rtheless our immediate neighbours got half a 100 foot oak on their home. No felling these, it's an SSSI;  the amiable arboriculturist of our LA has been heard to say 'you just have to hope it completely blows over in the right direction'. At least a couple go every year, usually as a major bump in the night. But it is all so lovely in every season.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We almost didn't buy our current hose as there was a huge oak tree in the front garden.  The out of the blue the seller asked us if we wanted it felling.  Not only was I worried about it falling on the house but it was in the way of where I wanted to build a garage but any vehicle parked under it would get covered in sap

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Think I'd have put up with the tree and used the hose to wash off any sap ......... 🙄

Not me I'm afraid,  I have classic cars that get multi stage washes. Won't park under trees even when out

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Oak trees have a horrible tendency to shed large limbs without warning.

Indeed, I witnessed such an event in August 1990. We were on holiday in Cornwall, staying in a caravan belonging to my aunt (she had a few in a meadow). My other half had just phoned her mother from the public telephone box at the bottom of the lane at about 9pm, and as we made our way back up the lane in the near-darkness we heard a cracking sound coming from up in the oak tree to our right - not sure what was happening we stopped and looked up, and as we watched a large chunk of the tree fell into the lane in front of us! Since it was now blocking the lane which gave access to a couple of bungalows as well as the caravan site I fetched a bow saw from my aunt's garage and sawed it into sections small enough to drag into the meadow out of the way. 

I thought it was a weird coincidence because, living 200 miles away at the time, I very rarely found myself up that lane, but when I was born in 1953 we lived in a house just a couple of hundred yards away and despite two house moves we remained within walking distance until 1975, so I must have passed under this tree umpteen times when I was younger but it waited all those years to try to fall on me during a rare visit!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/01/2024 at 23:11, Wickham Green too said:

Remember 1987 ! ........

269_15.jpg.5e0ebba4d66d3cde248ce858ed36d0e2.jpg

I do - 2 of the best days at work I've ever had - clearing Gillingham down toward Canterbury with the Faversham PW gangs. You learn very quickly about the dangers of "hanging" trees. ISTR one chap was killed at Swanscombe near Dartford when the uprooted stump of a tree he just chain-sawed the trunk off rolled down the cutting slope and crushed him. 

Edited by Southernman46
housekeeping
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Even the DLR wasn't immune - we had this monster to deal 30ft up in the air at South Quay - as usual my horny old BR guy's Uncle Albert of the Control Centre's "seen-it-all-before" comment was " get some kitchen scissors - it's not an obstruction unless you can't get you arms around the trunk" 

It was actually quite a dangerous "hanging tree" due to it amazingly being in a planter ! uprooted and leaning against the viaduct.

02-01-24 South Quay tree.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have an oak in the front garden and it isn't allowed to grow past about 10-12 feet tall - so I get the tree surgeon I use to give it a decent haircut every few years.   Thanks to our resident Mr Squirrel I do get a few oaks growing from his forgotten acorns but usually find them when they are small enough to pull up.   I had two dead elms felled this year although they weren'r vey big but a few years back when I last called in the ytree surgeon I forgot to put a sycamore on the losy but one of their blokes very obliginly pushed it over so that ddn't go on the bill. (it was one previously cut back and only about 12 feet tall - now a home for insects).

I did ask when they were here recently about my tall pine but was told not to waste money on it yet - it was whipping about cheerfully the day before yesterday but only in the upper part,  It will have to be reduced on their next visit

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About 35 years ago, we had a “live” Christmas tree in a tub, which we planted in the back yard after the holidays. It is now over 50 feet tall. We’re in a corner of a hill, sheltered from prevailing winds, but it’s really at the stage where we should get it down. If it fell, depending on direction, it could possibly reach our house or the one next door. 

4 hours ago, pH said:

About 35 years ago, we had a “live” Christmas tree in a tub, which we planted in the back yard after the holidays. It is now over 50 feet tall.

Does Mrs pH still expect you to bring it into the front room every Xmas?  😁

Fortunately the one in a tub in our back garden is looking somewhat poorly.  Like last year's that didn't quite manage a full year.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Does Mrs pH still expect you to bring it into the front room every Xmas?  😁

Fortunately the one in a tub in our back garden is looking somewhat poorly.  Like last year's that didn't quite manage a full year.

We once bought a bungalow which had a small "Christmas type" tree in the garden.

The first christmas we were there we dug it up, put it in a tub and took it in doors.

When we looked at it next day it was covered in white insects.

It was back in the garden before Christmas day!

• Friendly/supportive 3