Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

My recollection from studying accountancy case law was that they are obliged to honour the price shown. The phrase invitation to treat is rattling around.

They have no obligation to sell it.

They can simply refuse, stop communication or withdraw it from sale, push them too far they can ask you to leave the premises.

just ask thousands of house buyers nationwide of the misery and wasted cash on mortagage applications, surveys etc that results in when their sellers goes dark before any paperwork is signed.

price rises are a fact of life i’m afraid… just look at the last two years…

good luck walking into a shop with an advertprice from 1964 and expecting it to be honoured in 2024… it’ll be a conversation starter for sure though.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

it’ll be a conversation starter for sure though.

A short one though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Full text copied below . . . . . . . . .

Christine Hatton: "My 26 years of full time work here have been an absolute blast. I will have fond memories of Hattons, the people I've worked alongside and the community we have served. I am now looking forward to a happy retirement including plenty of travel, golf and tennis - as well as some part time voluntary work.

I would like to thank all of our customers and everyone associated with Hattons over the last 77 years."

Richard Davies: "I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has worked & shopped with Hattons over the 25 years I've had the privilege to work here. Since 1999 the internet has transformed the world and invigorated our wonderful hobby. Hattons have sold over £225 million of model railways to over 425,000 different people in more than 150 countries - it's been an incredible journey and experience.

After Hattons I'll be:

Doing some consultancy work in the UK model railway industry.

Consultancy work with companies outside of model railways - feel free to enquire by connecting on LinkedIn. I'm particularly interested in working with firms in Chester & North Wales on an ongoing basis, but more than happy to use Zoom to speak to anyone around the world

Potentially visiting model railway clubs around the world and telling the story of Hattons - feel free to invite me!

Spending time with family in Flint, North Wales

Contactable at davieshq@gmail.com 

I would like to say thank you to Christine Hatton for asking me to help run Hattons, after her brother Keith died in 2008. Keith was an such incredible & unique person, that it was understandable many assumed his passing would lead to our closing - we surprised many by achieving a huge amount between 2008 & 2023. I wish Christine, and all the dedicated colleagues of Hattons, all the very best for the future. I am very sorry my best wasn't good enough to maintain Hattons success."

Connect with Richard on Linkedin →

Contact Richard via Email →

Hattons Staff move on to new pastures...

We are pleased to announce that several of our staff members are continuing to work in the model railway industry. You may be familiar with Dave, Jack, Christov & Tom:

Dave - Commercial Projects Manager

Dave has been with Hattons for many years working in practically all areas of the business! Dave is moving on to Rapido Trains UK to assist with their forthcoming projects.

Jack - Chief Content Officer

You may recognise Jack from our popular Platform 1 livestreams and at exhibitions. He started in 2017, managing our marketing campaigns and content. He is moving on to work with Rails of Sheffield.

Christov & Tom - Helpdesk Assistants

If you've ever called or emailed us, you have likely spoken to Christov or Tom - who were two of our extremely knowledgeable helpdesk remote workers. Both have now moved to The Model Centre.

Seeking staff for your organisation? We are more than happy to circulate any opportunities you may have to our highly capable former members of staff.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I've only just spotted this, astounding value for money and a good model for anyone tempted to dip their toe into the 0 gauge water. I would think it could easily be turned BR with transfer lining and numbers etc, easily got from the Fox and other sources and a great little project.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I would think it could easily be turned BR with transfer lining and numbers etc, easily got from the Fox and other sources and a great little project.

I'm not sure if any made it to BR in this format? Dapol made 2 versions and this is the original one

The wooden brake blocks certainly didn't last that long!

By the time you've bought the transfers etc you could pick up a BR one for not that much more anyway.

Edited by Hal Nail

"I am very sorry my best wasn't good enough to maintain Hattons success."

Am I the only one to find this statement a little wierd ?

Does anyone regard Hattons as unsuccessful, obviously financials apart, which we are not aware of  ?

I always got the impression Hattons was a pretty good model railway company with just an odd few little quirks. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Covkid said:

"I am very sorry my best wasn't good enough to maintain Hattons success."

Am I the only one to find this statement a little wierd ?

Does anyone regard Hattons as unsuccessful, obviously financials apart, which we are not aware of  ?

I always got the impression Hattons was a pretty good model railway company with just an odd few little quirks. 

Clearly, had the business still  been "succeeding", the closure wouldn't have happened.

As per the original statement, whilst not in immediate danger of failure, Hatton's future projections indicated decreasing viability with no likely prospect of recovery.

A courageous decision taken in a timely fashion and handled with great dignity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 16

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm not sure if any made it to BR in this format? Dapol made 2 versions and this is the original one

The wooden brake blocks certainly didn't last that long!

By the time you've bought the transfers etc you could pick up a BR one for not that much more anyway.

Make/buy new brake blocks. Research the model you want and modify what you need. Hand line it if cost is that important but the fact remains it’s 95% of the model you want at a rock bottom price. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

BR ones are listed at £251 on Dapols website. 

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

the fact remains it’s 95% of the model you want

Pre BR, terriers were rebuilt with a different smokebox, chimney, splashers and various fittings. The BR one below is an Isle of Wight example with extended bunker as well but they didnt all have that.

BR ones do pop up on eBay frequently and might be easier if that particular version is what someone really wants.

I think there was a departmental one, which wasn't lined and retained the original style smokebox though.

download-1.jpeg.4dd04cc584787786004add7739616511.jpegIMG_1347_217792c0-357d-4ff2-84f3-a15e44b6d2a7_540x.jpg.6db32a99e1833b8c8a9b8650d6b88a75.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail

14 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’m not an O gauge modeller, but for £150 I couldn’t resist. 125 is a steal.

I resisted at £150 but at £125 I succumbed.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 11:05, MarkSG said:

It would depend a lot on what you want to do with it. It's unlikely to have had a huge amount of traffic as a pure redirector, because it won't crop up in any search results. But it would be a good choice of domain for a website about model railways, because then the domain name will match the content and that's a positive signal for search engines.

Or Rails could buy it and just use it as a redirect. Ho hum.

With reports that M B Klein is returning, the same cannot be said about Hattons in the UK. According to Companies House records Christine Hatton ceased to be person with significant control of the patent company The Hatton Model Railway Company Limited, on 29 Jan 2024, whilst the Hattons 2 Limited is about to be voluntary struck off the register in the next two months. Meanwhile Richard has established his latest venture as Medio HQ 2 Limited, curiously listing it's activities as  68209 - Other letting and operating of own or leased real estate.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gridiron said:

Meanwhile Richard has established his latest venture as Medio HQ 2 Limited, curiously listing it's activities as  68209 - Other letting and operating of own or leased real estate.

Presumably they owned their own premises which they are proposing to let rather than sell?

• Like 1

Saw on Facebook that Hattons donated a load of their remaining stock to the Bala lake railway which they will be selling to raise funds for their extension. Mainly various kits and modelling materials.

• Like 10