Is Osborn’s Models Still Trading?

Tortuga

What it says in the title really.

At the start of December, my dad ordered a wagon kit (listed as being in stock) from Osborn’s Models and received an email to say his order was being processed, but has heard nothing further.

A week before Christmas, he tried contacting them by phone to find out when it would be delivered, but only got a recorded message saying to email instead, which he did, but he’s had no reply to his email either.

Has anyone on here had a similar issue with or know whether Osborn’s Models are still trading?

So it looks like failing to answer phones and respond to emails isn’t a new thing and, from the latest post on that thread, the only surefire way to elicit a response is to send an email that threatens legal action and to rescind payment.

Thanks folks. I’ll pass that onto my Dad.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

So it looks like failing to answer phones and respond to emails isn’t a new thing and, from the latest post on that thread, the only surefire way to elicit a response is to send an email that threatens legal action and to rescind payment.

No certainty that threatening legal action brings any response. I would suggest to your dad that he contacts the payment provider to get his money back. I had to go down this route after no response to any form of communication.

Edited by Kris

• RMweb Gold

They do seem to be one of the shops with a terrible stock system for their website. Stock status on the site doesn't seem to reflect reality and if you order something not in stock they seem quite happy to sit on your money until they get the item.

Bit troublesome when they are also one of the shops still listing things that have been out of production for years and letting you order when there isn't a chance in hell of getting it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

You only have 6 months to make  a claim on a Credit Card.

Fortunately, they’ve yet to charge my Dad’s credit card. He’s going to let his credit card company know and keep an eye on whether they charge him.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Fortunately, they’ve yet to charge my Dad’s credit card. He’s going to let his credit card company know and keep an eye on whether they charge him.

This is how distance selling is supposed to be carried out.  Having been involved with a mail order business you are only supposed to charge the card upon packing and despatching the said item.  This ensures that should an item become unavailable then as a customer you do not financially loose out.  Similarly should a model be shipped from the maker with an allocation the trader can then decide whom is getting one of those which they have received.

Even a simple quick email reply to say we are awaiting more stock from the supplier would pacify most folks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had a similar problem with them a few years ago, I ordered a loco which was listed as in stock, but in fact when I contacted them after about a week with no response to my order, it was obvious  they did not have the item in stock.

As the loco was selling out fast, I demanded a refund so I could source one from another supplier.

In fairness to the company, they refunded my credit card, but not without a few emails from me.

I have dealt with them since, ordering a low value item with no problems, but I am wary of buying higher value items from them.

• RMweb Premium

I had similar last year too. I've been told that if they've got the item in stock, they get it to you quickly. But if not (because their website stock levels are often very out of date), they just ignore the order entirely. They don't reply to emails, and you just get answerphone when you call them. After a while, and a few emails, I went through may payment provider and got my money back.

Edited by Dragonfly
typo

Right. From all of the replies it seems like Osborn’s Models are still trading, though I’d question whether they actually deserve to be, given their level of communication with customers.

Personally, I certainly won’t be purchasing anything from them and I won’t be recommending their services to anyone else.

• Like 1