New editor, Railway Modeller

swtrains

I guess I must be very out of touch with the model railway scene - I was perusing the Peco site the other day and drilled down to the periodicals section - only to find a different editor was listed for the Railway Modeller.

I was expecting to see Steve Flint listed - but he wasn't!

Thinking I had missed something, I tried a search on both Google and here, but nothing came up.

Is there a thread on this that I can be referred to, or can anyone fill me in on when and why Steve left/retired?

Many thanks!

• Moderators

Craig Tiley has been editor for quite a bit, appointed after Steve retired. We're all entitled to one day so there's no need to answer 'why'.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Craig Tiley has been editor for quite a bit, appointed after Steve retired. We're all entitled to one day so there's no need to answer 'why'.

After Steve handed over to Craig in 2021, he was listed as Senior Editor (Editor Emeritus, I suppose). His final retirement was announced in the November issue.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Craig Tiley has been with RM for quite some time. I believe coming and photographing my American HO layout for Continental Modeller back in 2011 was one of his earliest assignments with them.

20 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Railway Modeller since purchased by Peco has had the following editors.

CJ Freezer August/September 1950 (I think) until March 1978.

John Brewer until June 2008

Steve Flint until June 2021

Craig Tilley onwards.

Must be an awful job, changing editors every 5 minutes. 4 in 72 years, Peco must glue them to the chair!

Continental Modeller is even remarkable. It isn't far off its fiftieth anniversary (although it only appeared occasionally in its early years) and has, I believe, only had two permanent editors in that time - David Lloyd until his untimely death and Andrew Burnham since.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Last issue with Steve as the editor proper was June 2021.

Railway Modeller since purchased by Peco has had the following editors.

CJ Freezer August/September 1950 (I think) until March 1978.

John Brewer until June 2008

Steve Flint until June 2021

Craig Tilley onwards.

Must be an awful job, changing editors every 5 minutes. 4 in 72 years, Peco must glue them to the chair!

If you add John Brewer's time at Model Railway News (I think) he must have been the longest-serving model railway magazine editor of all (with the possible exception of Linn Westcott at MR though?).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If you add John Brewer's time at Model Railway News (I think) he must have been the longest-serving model railway magazine editor of all (with the possible exception of Linn Westcott at MR though?).

Some long time editors, I can think of are Chris Leigh of various magazines including prototypes and the editor (and owner I believe) of Model Engineer from it's start for over 50 years - Percival Marshall.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I recall that Steve submitted a feature and large format colour slides of his Kyle of Tongue layout to Model Railway Constructor when I was editor in the 1980s. The layout was so evocative of that northern Scotland area and the slides were among the best I'd seen since Brian Monaghan (with a very different photographic style) had retired. I needed a layout photographer who could take good colour shots and Steve did the job for me for a while. I think most readers have little idea how challenging layout photography can be. I think it was Steve whom I commissioned to photograph a layout, which turned out to be in a loft, on an 80degree summer day! Happy retirement, Steve! (Chris Leigh)

• Like 17

11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

And he was on the editorial team at Meccano Magazine before that.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Did CJF edit MRC during the period that Peco owned the magazine and before he moved to RM?

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Did CJF edit MRC during the period that Peco owned the magazine and before he moved to RM?

GH Lake announced his retirement as RM editor in Vol.1 No.4 (May 1950). CJF was announced as the new editor of RM on the cover of Vol.1 No.5 (Jun-Jul 1950) “as from the next issue”. He then edited RM in London under Ian Allan’s ownership until Vol.2 No.12 (Sep-Oct 1951).  From Nov 1951 the magazine went monthly under the new Peco ownership and CJF went with it to Devon.

MRC was a later development after Ian Allan realised they’d made a mistake getting out of the model railway magazine market.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Correcting dates by actually looking at my copies.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, RichardT said:

MRC was a later development after Ian Allan realised they’d made a mistake getting out of the model railway magazine market.

Richard

MRC was hardly a later development, having been started in March 1934 with E F Carter as editor. It was acquired by Ian Allan around 1960, so it took them eight years to realise their mistake.

Cyril Freezer, when he left Railway Modeller, moved to Model Railways, one of the incarnation of Model Railway News in its declining years, where he continued editing for a further five years.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

MRC was hardly a later development, having been started in March 1934 with E F Carter as editor. It was acquired by Ian Allan around 1960, so it took them eight years to realise their mistake.

Cyril Freezer, when he left Railway Modeller, moved to Model Railways, one of the incarnation of Model Railway News in its declining years, where he continued editing for a further five years.

Yes sorry - it was the Ian Allan/Peco involvement with magazines on which I was focussing.

I must admit that I moved over to Model Railways from RM when CJF jumped ship, dropping it when it became the exacerable “Your Model Railway” by which time Model Railway Journal was fortunately hoving into view.  In later years I’ve backfilled my MRN/MR collection so I now have a complete set. Some of the articles in the pre-CJF 1970s MRN are very much in the style/spirit of early MRJs.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I don't think so, Mike (did Peco ever own MRC?)..

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, RichardT said:

And then Hornby Magazine was a later development after IA had realised they has made a mistake in getting rid of MRC and getting out of the model railway magazine market.

And a later development was when IA got rid of Hornby Magazine and got out of the model railway magazine market.

Edited by ian
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Yes, and then IA got rid of itself.

https://www.ianallan.com/

Still going. We all think of it as a railway publishing company but that’s the part of the business they decided to let go in favour of their other - presumably more profitable - lines. Just goes to show that our perspective isn’t always the full picture!

RichardT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Yes, and then IA got rid of itself.

All very sad.

I suspect old man IA has been gently rotating in his grave ever since he was put into it.....

I was just going to make that point.

Seemed to be a slow death with bits being either sold off or closed down. It was a bit of a surprise that Hornby Magazine has been part of Key since 2012!

I do find it a pity that they couldn't have separated the military, aircraft, transport and railway sections as Crecy don't seem that bothered with the railway side of things.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, RichardT said:

https://www.ianallan.com/

Still going. We all think of it as a railway publishing company but that’s the part of the business they decided to let go in favour of their other - presumably more profitable - lines. Just goes to show that our perspective isn’t always the full picture!

RichardT

Well sort of, but not really those are three disparate and slightly depressing rumps,  bearing no relation (OK Great Cockrow does a bit) to what has been a significant and worthwhile organisation. As, to be fair, alluded to on the current website.

As I said, all very sad.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We're drifting away from the original topic here but for many years IA made its money from property interests rather than publishing.  The founder was, however, very attached to the publishing arm and it was only after he was no longer in the driving seat that it could be flayed, filleted and dumped.

Edited by ian
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

One part of the IA empire that they were always very cagey about was Lewis Masonic - a publisher and bookseller of masonic texts. The Midland Counties shop/warehouse in Hinckley had a 'secret' showroom where freemasons could browse and buy. IA was a freemason and that was one of his pet schemes.

Edited by ian
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

As the OP here, I had my original query very quickly, and efficiently, answered.

As Ian suggested, it has now drifted a little off topic, but all to the good - I am finding this has turned into a fascinating thread and I am learning so much!

Just waiting for Chris Leigh to pitch in, as he has a long acquantance with model railway publishing.

• Like 1