The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Farewell and thank you, Annie Nightingale

57xx

• RMweb Gold

Yes, another name we grew up with now gone. My (probably only) claim to fame is that Annie interviewed me not long after starting work, for a radio 1 feature about careers in healthcare science. She was lovely and very engaged with the subject. I have a cassette tape with the recording somewhere...!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Mentioned her passing at work yesterday and NOBODY knew who she was ................ I was literally outraged - Phillistines !! 

Then bored everyone to death extoling the delights of late night Annie, the OGWT and that incredible rich voice.

She and JP will be living it up on a cloud somewhere now.

Gone but not forgotten (by a certain generation anyway). 👍

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A sad loss, Annie was a trailblazer for more than just female DJs, she helped drive the BBC out of a traditional, "stuffy" approach to broadcasting and paved the way for a more contemporary outlook that has given DJs since the freedom to explore wider genres and new artists.

RIP Annie

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2024 at 08:03, Southernman46 said:

Mentioned her passing at work yesterday and NOBODY knew who she was ................ I was literally outraged - Phillistines !! 

Then bored everyone to death extoling the delights of late night Annie, the OGWT and that incredible rich voice.

She and JP will be living it up on a cloud somewhere now.

Gone but not forgotten (by a certain generation anyway). 👍

One of the wonderful discoveries of shift work and a 30-50 mile commute listening to the radio. The worst thing was finding somewhere to pull over to write down a song, before something else wiped it from memory, so you could find it later. 

Thanks Annie 

• Like 2