Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MTK Class 404 4-GRI

• RMweb Gold

Still got to do the glazing and numbering plus the interiors 😀

Regarding the interiors, can anyone recall the upholstery moquette in the BR green days?  Images on the web suggest the ubiquitous Trojan, but was that actually the case?

Cheers

Darius

If you can find a copy, apparently the Griddle Car interiors were illustrated on p.212 of Trains Illustrated, April 1961 (according to Modern Railways* July 1962). Checking the cover online I might have that issue. I'll see if I can find it.

* The new name for the same magazine, starting from January 1962.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bernard.  In Michael Welch’s “A Southern Electric Album” there are colour pictures of the interior of the Buffet Car of a 4-BUF unit.  The style of interior decor was certainly “unique”.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ABWT9igbZUgyrBnb6

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MJI said:

I find them interesting, and good to see them completed.

MTK castings are pretty shocking so a good result is not easy.

But you do need a 4 COR now.

And to run them.

17 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I wonder what will be next?

Two 4COR's?!!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Fun, isn't that what this hobby should be.

"Oh, please mister
Just leave me alone
I'm only
Lookin' for fun
Lookin' for fun
F, U, N"

The Clash

The only trouble with using the MTK ends the gangway connector is a solid lump, where as on the real things they danced about in front of the rest of the train to their own beat. 🙂

18 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I been running Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Runnin' Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

What have I done?
What have I done?

Cheers

Darius

To keep on the theme;

I fought the COR.

Mike.

• Funny 5

Remarkable job! I have a set of these brass bodies for a 4BUF and I just took one look and then put them back in the box they came from ebay! One shame about the green of SR units is it hides a huge amount of the detail. I've always been very fond of MTK and their rather robust style, can remember scanning the boxes of all the exotic units at exhibitions in the 70s and admiring wonky units on various layouts back in the day. 

I don't even mind the slightly over-sized corners to the windows - still very much a Southern unit with overtones of a 2HAL where the windows were much more rounded.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Thanks Bernard.  In Michael Welch’s “A Southern Electric Album” there are colour pictures of the interior of the Buffet Car of a 4-BUF unit.  The style of interior decor was certainly “unique”.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ABWT9igbZUgyrBnb6

I've not been able to find it yet, but I'm pretty sure the 1960s rebuild looked nothing like that! I'll have to move a few boxes tomorrow to carry on the search.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

I've not been able to find it yet, but I'm pretty sure the 1960s rebuild looked nothing like that! I'll have to move a few boxes tomorrow to carry on the search.

Your search is much appreciated.

This is the sketch of the Griddle car layout - presumably by Colin - provided with the kit.

IMG_2087.jpeg.365896c3162dcc5387779b548ad18491.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5

That looks great Darius. From the photos above you cannot see the difference in length of the Griddle car. I am slowly drawing the 4RES but have already hit an issue with the windows. I am using the Golding book but confirming details from other sources. The first problem was the windows in the kitchen. The drawing shows them as being frosted full depth. However from photographs they are in fact clear but less than half height. I can only presume that during a refurb the windows where changed.

Keith

Those interiors look fabulous - there are not many models out there sporting such thorough treatment, and it's great to see this in MTK kits of all things! Well done for coming up with the idea and applying if so diligently - it must keep you occupied for a few hours............er............in your case, minutes?! 😃

• Thanks 1

No luck on finding that Trains Illustrated, but here's the drawing from Modern Railways April '62:

Griddle.jpg.3540abc0c22c1dbd150b91d3d8a3f43d.jpg

On re-reading the article says the interiors were 'similar to' rather than identical to the ones in the 1961 issue, though still Eastleigh built.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1