BRM March 2024 - IN SHOPS NOW

• Members

BRM's March '24 edition is now available to purchase in shops but you can save money by subscribing: click here to subscribe for just £4.99 an issue

Or, download your copy as a Digital Edition for as little as £3.85 an issue

Inside this fantastic 180-page Bumper Issue you also get a copy of Traction magazine PLUS a must-watch DVD*.

Here's what's inside BRM March...

FOUR AMAZING LAYOUTS

* Brunswick Yard (OO)
* Rolvenden (P4)
* Oakhurst Town (S7)
* Lochdubh (N)

36.png.eaacd97dcdffde7da6c372cd589910f6.png

EASY-TO-FOLLOW PRACTICAL ADVICE

* Modelling spring trees
* Animate a street scene in N
* How to weather an abandoned wagon
* Second-hand restoration projects with BIG savings
* Build a GWR signal box
* Build a white metal fire engine
* Modelling wagon loads – top tips

* And more!

50.png.199a465664826f748da516c64e96a9bf.png

PLUS

* Reviews of the new Hornby 2MT and 88DS, Bachmann & Graham Farish HRA hoppers, Accurascale MDW 21T scrap wagons, plus much more
* Model Rail Scotland and London Festival of Railway Modelling – show previews
* Modelling inspiration: Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway
* A round-up of the latest headlines from the model railway world this month, including the Hornby 2024 announcements

marvid.gif.553193e1614df8069d3438bd3f2bd726.gif

150.png

*Subscribers get the DVD content sent via an email link. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This issue made quite a thud as it landed on the doormat. Very enjoyable issue so far, still haven't finished, lots to absorb. Excellent video too as @sjrixon said, enjoyed that last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, keeley tansley said:

BRM's March '24 edition is now available to purchase in shops but you can save money by subscribing: click here to subscribe for just £4.99 an issue

Or, download your copy as a Digital Edition for as little as £3.85 an issue

Inside this fantastic 180-page Bumper Issue you also get a copy of Traction magazine PLUS a must-watch DVD*.

*Subscribers get the DVD content sent via an email link. 

What you omit to say is that Bumper Edition comes at the bumper price of £9.99. Whether that is good value depends on whether you want the Traction content and a DVD.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

What you omit to say is that Bumper Edition comes at the bumper price of £9.99. Whether that is good value depends on whether you want the Traction content and a DVD.

You're a Gold member aren't you Phil? You should be able to access the full mag and link to the DVD content via World of Railways included in your membership.

The March issue has a very misleading description of the signalling at Colwich junction before the 1986 head-on collision in the article "Do you believe in miracles?".  It incorrectly states “On the northbound fast line, drivers of trains turning off towards Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester first see a flashing green aspect warning of the junction ahead.  This would be followed by flashing double yellow, double yellow and yellow aspects before the junction.” 

The rules and the actual arrangement at Colwich is described in the HMRI report and flashing yellows are also explained here:

http://www.railsigns.uk/sect2page7.html   ref  2.132 & 2.133 

Flashing green aspects are not and never have been used in connection with junction signalling and flashing yellow signals. 

They have only been used on the ECML fast lines between Grantham & Peterborough, with quite different meaning, as an experimental fifth aspect.  This was in connection with trials of Class 91 trains for a speed of 140.  Flashing green indicated to trains authorised for speeds above 125 mph that they may exceed 125, while a steady green meant reduce to 125, thus giving these trains an even longer braking distance.  To other trains, flashing green had exactly the same meaning as a steady green.  but the conclusion was that lineside signals were not visible clearly for long enough above 125, so in-cab signalling would be required for running at higher speeds.  However the signals remained in place after the 1988 experiment concluded.

http://www.railsigns.uk/sect2page7.html   ref 2.141

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, AY Mod said:

You're a Gold member aren't you Phil? You should be able to access the full mag and link to the DVD content via World of Railways included in your membership.

Hi Andy,

I seem to be able to view the videos from the WoR video archive, but I can't find access to the BRM, from the WoR site, apart from via a purchase or subscription. As it is I prefer to have hard copies of magazines and have bought the March issue, so that's not a problem. My computer can only read the video, with the sound and vision playing from separate files, but not at the same time! Obviously I haven't got the right software.

I do appreciate the hard work you and your colleagues put into both BRM and rmweb. I just cannot see how Traction and BRM fit together. I appreciate that there are connections and overlaps, but the styles of the two are vastly different and I would think must appeal to different readerships. I wish you well with the new approach and hope my fears for its viablity are unfounded.

Best wishes

Phil

Edited by phil_sutters

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

but I can't find access to the BRM, from the WoR site, apart fom via a purchase or subscription.

As a Gold user you should be able to login here https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/account/login?ref=%2Fmy-account%2Fmy-membership%2F and access the digital copies.

16 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I wanted a mag for a bit of reading on a weekend break away; I didn't want Traction or the DVD, so at £9:99, a sale lost, this time around.

I'm not sure if BRM is still carrying that tagline of "The only model railway magazine you need" or words to that effect, but I'm allergic to that sort of patronising hyperbole, too, & find it very off putting. In my case, it is also incredibly inaccurate!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I'm not sure if BRM is still carrying that tagline of "The only model railway magazine you need" or words to that effect, but I'm allergic to that sort of patronising hyperbole, too, & find it very off putting. In my case, it is also incredibly inaccurate!!

I seem to recall a different magazine having a tagline of "for the average enthusiast".

Personally, I don't worry too much about magazine taglines - I'm generally more interested in the content - is it likely to be of interest to me - that sort of thing.

Certain magazines I'm likely to get most issues (or might have subscriptions etc) - others I'll get sometimes - others once in a blue moon - and I've probably got good reasons for whatever I do.

Probably not too much more for me to say on this, really ... !

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, sdh-stbriavels said:

Hi - could someone from BRM clarify if the intentio GWR signal box is OO or O please? It's described as OO in the magazine, but I can only see an O gauge one on the Intentio website (a query to Intentio has gone unanswered). Thanks

The kit is definitely 4mm to the foot (OO). I was assured it would be on the website by the time the article appeared - I'll chase Phil to update things.

Cracking kit too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2024 at 07:35, sdh-stbriavels said:

Hi - could someone from BRM clarify if the intentio GWR signal box is OO or O please? It's described as OO in the magazine, but I can only see an O gauge one on the Intentio website (a query to Intentio has gone unanswered). Thanks

It’s 4mm. I’ve not seen your message. My email is phil@intentio.co.uk 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1