GWR Dia. O18 5-Plank Open Wagon from Rapido

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

"Tedious faff", otherwise known as fulfilling modelling, is what most of us are doing it for.

CJI.

Would you want to do a dozen though @cctransuk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

"Tedious faff", otherwise known as fulfilling modelling, is what most of us are doing it for.

CJI.

I think we’re all allowed to decide what bits of modelling we find fulfilling, and I think we’re also allowed to find some aspects of modelling a tedious faff if we want to. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Would you want to do a dozen though @cctransuk

Yes.

Well I’ve bought at least that many from Dave Franks to do them on the V14/16s I’ve preordered.  And since I’m doing them they’re going to be sprung.  The problem is there is still a shortage of sprung buffer heads.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, BenL said:

I think we’re all allowed to decide what bits of modelling we find fulfilling, and I think we’re also allowed to find some aspects of modelling a tedious faff if we want to. 

Quite so - but that only works if you can achieve your desired objective WITHOUT undertaking the less-than-fullfilling tasks.

No-one is saying that all aspects of railway modelling are equally enjoyable, but you will seriously restrict your achievable outcomes if you confine your modelling to the 'fun' bits.

I do NOT enjoy building valvegear - so do I confine myself to inside valvegeared locos?!?

Each to their own ...... !

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Quite so - but that only works if you can achieve your desired objective WITHOUT undertaking the less-than-fullfilling tasks.

No-one is saying that all aspects of railway modelling are equally enjoyable, but you will seriously restrict your achievable outcomes if you confine your modelling to the 'fun' bits.

I do NOT enjoy building valvegear - so do I confine myself to inside valvegeared locos?!?

Each to their own ...... !

CJI.

You don’t need to worry, I’ve never limited myself to tasks I don’t consider a tedious faff, I just reserve the right to consider some tasks a tedious faff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, BenL said:

You don’t need to worry, I’ve never limited myself to tasks I don’t consider a tedious faff, I just reserve the right to consider some tasks a tedious faff

As I said - each to their own.

As for myself, I fully understand the motives of a manufacturer who makes full use of an underframe tool, even if minor details are inaccurate for some of the subsequent models.

99% of the work is done for us - just a tiny bit of "tedious faff" / personal input required.

CJI.

48 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

As I said - each to their own.

As for myself, I fully understand the motives of a manufacturer who makes full use of an underframe tool, even if minor details are inaccurate for some of the subsequent models.

99% of the work is done for us - just a tiny bit of "tedious faff" / personal input required.

CJI.

The buffers weren’t right for the original models…

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BenL said:

The buffers weren’t right for the original models…

Exactly, the whole range of wagons is wrong and the error was pointed out for the first set. To me, visually they are wrong and jar. I don't mind spending extra on changing the kit wagons I build (I'm a huge fan of Mr Franks's products) but doing so when paying a premium for a state of the art RTR product? No ta.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, BenL said:

Hmmm, good idea, I guess one of these two could do the job:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2375.php

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2371.php

Though a bit of a tedious faff when you’ve ordered quite a few of the wagons that need this mod!

I need to check the books, but I think we actually need the 12 inch MJT heads and I’m reliably informed that these haven’t been available for sometime. Plus they don’t have the collar that the Rapido-fitted heads have.

So I wonder if Rapido might be kind enough to add some 12 inch heads with collars to an upcoming mould, or turn to a renowned purveyor of 3D printing to generate some. I for one would be happy to pay for such a replacement part. 

(I apologise to anyone who is offended by my continued wondering about the most efficient and easiest solution to this issue)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...