RMweb

A new Inglenook? Pile Street?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ColinK said:

What’s your thoughts on the sleeper things (sorry forgotten their name) you’ve used at the baseboard joint?

Used them on a few layouts now - so far so good and a lot less faff than copper clad sleepers or brass screws.

https://www.modeltech.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks, I’m helping a friend build a layout and am contemplatibg using them instead of my usual method of a piece of copper clad paxolin laid across the baseboard joint, often with several tracks on it, then cut along the baseboard joint.

• RMweb Gold

Given that in order to work the curved bits either side of the joint must be slightly proud of the edge how are you avoiding damage? Have you had to cut a small slot into your board end protector pieces or similar?

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, john new said:

Given that in order to work the curved bits either side of the joint must be slightly proud of the edge how are you avoiding damage? Have you had to cut a small slot into your board end protector pieces or similar?

I slightly off set the board end track protectors by about 3mm - using the same ply I inset into the cork - John. I don't have a photo but I'll sort one when I next have one of the layouts out. The layout still fits in the RUB with them in place.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Progress...and testing...

53701853097_d5d299a3ab_z.jpg

53702750111_75aef99e4a_z.jpg

I'm watching this build with particular interest Chris as my 77L box is currently sat on the dining room table ... and some wood has been cut !!

Your Lockdown Fen and Cropper Street layout threads and articles have also been re-read ... but progress will be slow and I'll start my own thread when it is more advanced, in the meantime I shall indulge in watching Pile Street develop.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, 03060 said:

I'm watching this build with particular interest Chris as my 77L box is currently sat on the dining room table ... and some wood has been cut !!

Your Lockdown Fen and Cropper Street layout threads and articles have also been re-read ... but progress will be slow and I'll start my own thread when it is more advanced, in the meantime I shall indulge in watching Pile Street develop.

Regards,

Ian.

Don't hold your breath Ian - 😉 - I plan to make sure all the stock, track, couplers etc work well before much else is done and fixed down . I may carry on with some buildings etc and I'm making and fitting S&W couplers to stock.

I made the mistake on Timsbury Bottom of not really testing everything - including the S&W couplers before I did scenery etc.

TB will re-emerge but rebuilt longer with points of at least medium length...( an RUB and a half)

Chris

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've had a bit of an issue with wagon axle B to Bs and Peco BH medium points - now hopefully resolved so the track painting has commenced....some test pieces have been thrown together.

First photo is of a test piece. Initial spray can of Railmatch sleeper grime, dusted with Humbrol #30 "Dark Earth" (as my generation would call it) followed by airbrushed Precision weathered wood track colour..front track has now Precision "Rusty Rails" applied thinly by rigger brush which really starts to bring things to life..

53757871290_cf6fb9120e_c.jpg

Layout has had base sleeper colours applied now.

53757894625_751bf9c9f6_c.jpg

I'm currently pondering next steps - I'd normally go for some dry brushing on the sleepers with a light blending over spray of Precision weathered wood track colour (after ballasting). However, I may experiment with some pigments along the lines of the approach adopted by Rob (NHY 581)

ChrisH

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 12/05/2024 at 16:54, Gilbert said:

A bit of time was found today to prime the brick work on the signal box..

53716210094_41690ffba4_c.jpg

53716081708_a1d2fc3248_c.jpg

Chris H

What is the origin of the laser-cut signal box, Chris?

David

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2024 at 12:54, Gilbert said:

Extra wood for mounting the point motors

What are you using for point motors, one of my stumbling blocks with SMS baseboards is the lack of room below them… 

Hoping to embark on a beginners inglenook soon to avoid failures to complete project (when I set the standards too high for my skills) soon, so watching with interest. 

thanks 

Ralf 

• RMweb Premium

Is the 77L RUB the size stated for wrapping paper etc? I looked at them recently for a small 2mm layout and discovered they are really just a few inches too short, under 30”. If this is what you’re using you have my total admiration for squeezing it all in 4mm. 

Bob

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Is the 77L RUB the size stated for wrapping paper etc? I looked at them recently for a small 2mm layout and discovered they are really just a few inches too short, under 30”. If this is what you’re using you have my total admiration for squeezing it all in 4mm. 

Bob

Described as Christmas tree 🎄 box

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Bob

The 77L RUB boxes are 44" long and 9" wide, I got one via my local Argos store within 24 hrs of ordering it having also been inspired by @Gilbert's and a few others super layouts. It's a current WIP but not being rushed.

As with the comments above this and the Lockdown Fen and Cropper Street threads are great inspiration in showing what can be done to create an interesting, nicely modelled and most importantly useable layout in a small, containable and protected space ... although mine will need 2 77L boxes (and possibly a 3rd smaller box)to achieve what I want.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, thanks for all the replies about the 77L RUB's. I've been looking at the wrong ones in Hobbycraft it seems! About half the depth as well as shorter. And half the price @ £17. No wonder I couldn't work it out!

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2024 at 01:30, Ralf said:

What are you using for point motors, one of my stumbling blocks with SMS baseboards is the lack of room below them… 

Hoping to embark on a beginners inglenook soon to avoid failures to complete project (when I set the standards too high for my skills) soon, so watching with interest. 

thanks 

Ralf 

I'm using MTB MP1s (but with a Frog Juicer) I'll ry to do some photos of the current set up but here's an early view:

53538989933_de27cf9edf_c.jpg

Its worth looking at Chadwick on YT.

• Informative/Useful 1