A new Inglenook? Pile Street?

• RMweb Gold

As one or two may have noticed from comments elsewhere on here I'm planning a new RUB layout - probably an Inglenook with an urban feel but unusually for me it will be pre-Nationalisation and will be a proper test bed for Sprat and Winkle couplings rather than my usual Kadees....

53477923939_c5776183be_c.jpg

53473566223_1a64a1afc1_c.jpg

While doing a bit of research this photo of the Bristol Harbour Railway complete with its very own shunting puzzle popped up on a Facebook Group...Bristol Temple Meads is top left...

https://collections.bristolmuseums.org.uk/collections/c945abc2-c0ee-35ac-85c2-3d5b59ef3fdb/?refid=1174

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 15

Looking forward to seeing another nice layout from you Chris.
Plenty of inspiration to be had, walking along by the S.S. Great Britain, and the museum on the waterfront nearby - some nice trackwork & buildings etc.
Hope to catch up soon mate - it's been a while

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, marc smith said:

Looking forward to seeing another nice layout from you Chris.
Plenty of inspiration to be had, walking along by the S.S. Great Britain, and the museum on the waterfront nearby - some nice trackwork & buildings etc.
Hope to catch up soon mate - it's been a while

Cheers Marc - By a happy coincidence some time ago I acquired a brake van and shunter's wagon lettered for Canon's Marsh across the docks....

FWIW I'm at Monmouth Show on 11th with Cropper Street

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2024/26046-MonmouthRotaryClub_Exhibition

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great minds, Chris! Although I’m still going through the rationalisation process and hoping to tie up some loose ends before I start on my inglenook. Following with interest. 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Andrew D said:

Great minds, Chris! Although I’m still going through the rationalisation process and hoping to tie up some loose ends before I start on my inglenook. Following with interest. 

It won't be rapid Andrew - I'm going for an urban look and enjoying doing a few buildings which I think will fit in the foot print.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress...layout will be open-ended....

53504261461_43dfbb469b_c.jpg

Mocking up the lighting rig.

53504568844_a945a6050c_c.jpg

Planning for the NCE panel

53504411093_29671a27a4_c.jpg

Recessed input sockets (layout slides into an RUB)

53504568849_dfa9486ce9_c.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2024 at 07:54, Gilbert said:

While doing a bit of research this photo of the Bristol Harbour Railway complete with its very own shunting puzzle popped up on a Facebook Group...Bristol Temple Meads is top left...

https://collections.bristolmuseums.org.uk/collections/c945abc2-c0ee-35ac-85c2-3d5b59ef3fdb/?refid=1174

Chris H

The main road to the left of the picture is called Pile Street - a suitable name for the new layout I think....

A slightly later photo which popped up on Facebook courtesy of a Nick Howes also shows the triangular area between the street and the railway has been cleared and developed as a GWR goods yard. Users include Baldwin's Coal and Cooper Bros Fruit and Potato merchants...

423327974_10163476773194899_421285608196

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Gilbert changed the title to A new Inglenook? Pile Street?
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, franciswilliamwebb said:

Clearly the obligatory trampoline in the back garden isn't quite the recent phenomenon I thought 😲

Reported to be Pruetts circus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The yard in the picture went on to be called Redcliffe Goods and lasted until 1962 apparently.This came up on Cronobook - whatever that is - 1955 reportedly. The little Inglenook is still in use on the right..

4cd9eed2-9349-487c-bf64-344636eccaa2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some fascinating photos, and a promising layout!

Very neat work on recessing the plugs into the SMS boards; I've been pondering how to get power in and out without impeding the ability to place the layout in a RUB (not that I own the correct size of RUB mind you); I've ended up with some plugs hanging loose beneath the board, but it does the trick.

I like the cutting and footbridge secne. The signal box looks neat too, will therebe signals for it to control?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

Some fascinating photos, and a promising layout!

Very neat work on recessing the plugs into the SMS boards; I've been pondering how to get power in and out without impeding the ability to place the layout in a RUB (not that I own the correct size of RUB mind you); I've ended up with some plugs hanging loose beneath the board, but it does the trick.

I like the cutting and footbridge secne. The signal box looks neat too, will therebe signals for it to control?

Thanks for the comments - yes - the front track will end up at a level crossing on the right end protected by a home signal -  that front track will be laid on a board joint Modeltech aligner so a future extension can be added if desired. Footbridge will be  lattice so not too overpowering visually but adds another vertical element and view break...

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...