GWR Driver position

3 hours ago, osbornsmodels said:

and often stood rather than sat.

I would have said that the norm was for both footplatemen to be upright, the fireman of near necessity, the driver because he got a better view of the road ahead (and, having once been a fireman, was used to habitually standing on a footplate). The seats would typically only be used when the train was at a stand and there were no immediate tasks to be done.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You can't sit down and drive a Pannier or Prarie and see out. Yes you can sit when driving a Manor , Castle, Hall etc. Again Panniers and Praries are not really suited to a fireman sitting down as again they cant see where you are going. On the bigger engines they may have sat down. They are small and not the comfortanle to sit on in motion anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, bécasse said:

I would have said that the norm was for both footplatemen to be upright, the fireman of near necessity, the driver because he got a better view of the road ahead (and, having once been a fireman, was used to habitually standing on a footplate). The seats would typically only be used when the train was at a stand and there were no immediate tasks to be done.

…. not forgetting that once moving, especially with certain “high mileage” locomotives, the unremitting jarring, emanating from play in driving boxes/horns and side rods. This would be transmitted through the cab floor and to any semblance of a “seat” and thus to the softer parts of a driver’s anatomy. 

Edited by Right Away
correction
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Longhaireddavid said:

... Is this right?

I thought we'd established that it's right ............. hand drive. Not familiar with Accurascale's rendition of the cab but I'd guess the driver has his hand on the regulator ( could be the reverser ) and the fireman's checking for the next signal - better than balanced in mid-swing with his shovel !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The anatomy of most steam locomotive's "seats" was completely devoid of any softer parts, of course. 🥴

Though some drivers had plenty in the right area.

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not familiar with Accurascale's rendition of the cab but I'd guess the driver has his hand on the regulator ( could be the reverser ) and the fireman's checking for the next signal - better than balanced in mid-swing with his shovel !

I concur, the driver is perched on the edge of his seat, left hand on the regulator lever, right elbow resting on the cab cutout or possibly hand on the reverser, and looking forward through the spectacle plate, a quite typical driving stance.  The position of his left hand suggests that he is gripping the end of the regulator handle ready to lift it prior to moving off.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

You can't sit down and drive a Pannier or Prarie and see out. Yes you can sit when driving a Manor , Castle, Hall etc

Presumably, in the smaller engines the large reversing lever sticking out of the floor didn't help? (The larger engines having a horizontal screw reverser ahead of the driver).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nick Lawson said:

Presumably, in the smaller engines the large reversing lever sticking out of the floor didn't help? (The larger engines having a horizontal screw reverser ahead of the driver).

More that with a Pannier the seat is to the side of the reverser and in most places the reverser is in the way and the seat is so low down you cant see out over the tanks. With the Praries again the seat is so low you can't see out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Longhaireddavid said:

This is what Accurascale provided in their GWR Manor BR Crew.

I presume that the fireman is looking out whist the driver has his hand of a lever. Is this right?

figs.jpg

Pearly kings! More suited to GER or LTSR I would have thought, or possibly SECR.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Funny 7

On 29/01/2024 at 15:21, Longhaireddavid said:

Hi everyone. I have now moved from US outline to GWR. I have four locos - 2 x pannier, 1 x 23XX and 1 Manor. I want to put drivers into each but not sure which side they sit. I have a feeling that GWR was left hand drive. Is this correct?

Hi, the easy way to tell, for any loco;

The reversing lever and rod gear, and, if vacuum fitted the ejector pipe (the one along the boiler side  from cab to smokebox) near handrail, are on the drivers side

Edited by Ken.W
  • Agree 2

On 03/02/2024 at 01:01, Ken.W said:

Hi, the easy way to tell, for any loco; ... The reversing lever and rod, ... are on the drivers side

Any loco other than Mr.Wainwright's* : the steam reverser's pretty conspicuous instead ! ( NOT to be confused with a Wessy pump - which might be present too ! )

* or derivatives ......................................... other steam-reversed locos are available

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But it ought to be remembered that sometimes, the driver wasn't even on the loco, whilst driving!

If he was driving a train with say a Class 48XX/14XX and autocoach, he could be the length of the autocoach away from the loco, plus space. So up to 80ft away roughly.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But it ought to be remembered that sometimes, the driver wasn't even on the loco, whilst driving!

If he was driving a train with say a Class 48XX/14XX and autocoach, he could be the length of the autocoach away from the loco, plus space. So up to 80ft away roughly.

On a 4575 propelling two 70' trailers smokebox end, it's closer to 200ft!

3 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

Are you suggesting they sell figures with a scale 80 feet arm?

Most drivers I knew had short arms and long pockets, especially when it was their round...

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

On 04/02/2024 at 15:24, Wickham Green too said:

Any loco other than Mr.Wainwright's* : the steam reverser's pretty conspicuous instead ! ( NOT to be confused with a Wessy pump - which might be present too ! )

* or derivatives ......................................... other steam-reversed locos are available

Good point there, edited accordingly.

I should have known that one, plenty exNER engines had steam reverse too! :blush:

Edited by Ken.W

Here are few views of the driver's position in a large prairie.  As you can see, the view forward is not too bad (by steam engine standards), but the view going backwards is non-existant!

Resize_20240212_232930_0534.jpg.ec8a4fa33fb9a7e35180be7cee037292.jpg

The seat is on rear wall of the cab, so the regulator, brake, ejector etc are out of reach. Best place to perch when running backwards is on the reverser rack - view out the back, and controls easily to right hand. 

Resize_20240212_232638_8979.jpg.096281aef179cb6be349434191b19dea.jpg

• Like 1