eBay/ loco kits madness or good spot

hayfield

I think I get more fun out of both finding items and sorting things out than perhaps modelling, anyway I won a mixed lot last Friday of loco kits, which are highly likely to be incomplete. certainly mixed up

24.jpeg.17fde317bc4cb21c60777227d40248e8.jpeg

These two boxes arrived this morning weighing quite a lot

1.jpg.f4d7ad713806464b0dd638e0e7a7cad6.jpg

This was the main photo with another 22 most of which looks very untidy

16.jpg.77ee6896c0fc8d1eed08b79fc345ca84.jpg

I have actually made a start on this and the photo below

15.jpg.5b123c4a5c806682ddfb14b1b05f9254.jpg

9.png.c12a913623ab7010da541d74e4f11cac.png

This is what really interested me, but from what I can see there are up to 6 x 7mm locos, on 0-16.5 and possible 8 4mm scale locos all in various states of completeness16.jpg.77ee6896c0fc8d1eed08b79fc345ca84.jpg15.jpg.5b123c4a5c806682ddfb14b1b05f9254.jpg

17.png.928f1b9e4608a3b93f946050171fd6e6.png

In this box I have found parts for 2 7mm 0-16.5 Langley L&B coaches and one wagon plus a decent set of 4 32mm gauge track gauges, I could see one etched coach side but had no idea what it was. As it happens I am a member of the Lynton & Barnstaple railway and actively involved with the East Anglican support group which builds the carriages for the L&B

I will be busy for certainly the next month if not more

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The main issue is getting the correct parts into their own boxes.

The Springside Collet goods had only a few if any of the larger parts are in its box, the main issue is finding what of the smaller parts belong to it and not other locos,

The easy bit is where the wrong scale is in the box or glaringly incorrect parts. Its just a simple case of just keeping on sorting out each box and box up the locos without a box

I now have found I have 2 x 52/72xx 7mm etched kits. Most of the body parts for a second 7mm Manning Wardle 0-4-0T and an incomplete set of body etches for a 7mm LMS 2-6-4T loco and a incomplete 7mm etched Midland tender body. I also have a K's Ivatt 2-6-4t body

• Like 6

12 hours ago, pH said:

Were they under “Model Railways” or “Jigsaws”?

Insomniacs!!

10.jpg.49c99e32b63de6d195c6bd3c7549f027.jpg

Bits of everything, 0-16.5 tram loco, hint of a GEM L1 chassis, Bits of a Springside 2251 & Manning Wardle and k's GWR tender parts and a McGowan Football class, bits everywhere !! all mixed up

V11.jpg.5bc678db098a287505f855d46de6ae96.jpg

Well I thought there was one 7mm  52/72xx but there were 2 plus an unknown 4mm 2-8-2t chassis, plus what's on top of the box. Dean Goods and an Ivatt

There were 23 photos, but most gave no idea what was for sale, and I am still finding bits

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Bits of everything, 0-16.5 tram loco, hint of a GEM L1 chassis, Bits of a Springside 2251 & Manning Wardle and k's GWR tender parts and a McGowan Football class

Well I thought there was one 52/72xx but there were 2 plus an unknown 2-6-2t chassis, plus what's on top of the box. Dean Goods and an Ivatt

So, once you’ve sorted out all the complete kits, can we expect multiple future posts in the “Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins” topic, using up the spare bits?

Edited by pH
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, pH said:

So, once you’ve sorted out all the complete kits, can we expect multiple future posts in the “Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins” topic, using up the spare bits?

No certainly not. The two main items I wanted were the two Springside kits. I am assuming I will have to buy some parts, but not many. Two or 3 years ago I brought a very badly built part built and incomplete 14xx for about £70, I spent just over £100 with Springside and have enjoyed putting it together, they cost £366, about a year later I paid about £150 for a nicely part built Springside 45xx, I had a motor and again the parts came just over £100 as there were some quite a lot of hard castings missing. Again £447 now The 2251 £470 and the Manning Wardle £303. I do have quite a lot of leeway,

The cost for these at the moment is a couple of instruction books, in the main there are so many parts (Springside kits come with up to 100 + very small parts) which I have not identified but other than the second Manning Wardle (which is missing a chassis and a couple of main body castings) I have a feeling other than a sew Slaters axles may be there or there about's. The second one is a bit of a gift, but it has a value, if not much as it will be a good cheap project for someone

23.png.621644b4064bf5271372274e192c4218.png

A K's dean goods box full of 7 mm wheels, there is a K's Dean goods (outside frame) minus chassis and a few castings, someone will want it, likewise a K's Duke with no wheels or motor

3.jpg.7f2c2c598962bd6eb904bd1cea435620.jpg

There are two McGowan kits at the moment only one is really nearly complete

22.png.bd9037feee1206bf6bb01df232342326.png

I think this A5 other than instructions looks to be all there

2.jpg.48120a2e6d0f2ea4e45d73a5ef5ca7d6.jpg

This was the second overall photo, as you can see with the other main photo quite a selection, most of which will find themselves back on eBay

But I have so many castings and detached etches it will be a case of slowly sifting through all

I will keep the two L&B coaches and wagons, they are missing one end and some small parts, but I see these as freebees. 

In short I may only keep only 4 of the 7mm locos and a SEF 61xx etched chassis

• Like 6

Another couple of hours spent today, My main issue now is waiting for a selection of self sealing small clear plastic bags. I have continued with the 7mm kits and an getting much better at identifying what parts go where.

For the second manning Wardle loco I now have both chassis sider and found a couple of extra bits, also with the 72xx's  and 1361 I am finding it easier to separate then group the etched parts (all off their frets). I have even found a third set of frames

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard_A said:

I fancy a go at a jamieson kit, must keep a look out. 

I have a Jamieson 5P5F ( Black 5), not 100% checked yet, I know it has not got instructions and a valve gear etch. but I have both and they are now with the kit. All the main parts are there, the odd 8ba nut may be missing, it will go on eBay next weekend if the 80% offer is on

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have a Jamieson 5P5F ( Black 5), not 100% checked yet, I know it has not got instructions and a valve gear etch. but I have both and they are now with the kit. All the main parts are there, the odd 8ba nut may be missing, it will go on eBay next weekend if the 80% offer is on

I shall check it out. 

• Like 1

During Friday I had a sort out of the 4mm kits. I have 2 LNER kits along a bag full of spares which will be sold as they are missing some main parts, should do someone who likes LNER lovos as there are 2 x 6 wheel tenders one of the loco bodies has less missing than the other, so its a bag of spares.

In addition to that I have a Craftsman A5 looks More or less complete, a V1 missing small parts and no chassis, likewise a K's class 3 tank, The chassis for these two were generally binned in favour of something better. Then I have body kits for for a Wills Flatiron and 61xx (61xx has a white metal chassis) Dean goods outside frame again more or less there. A nice Duke body, tender and chassis, the main body parts of an Abadare, a GEM L 1 chassis, wheels and motor. Main parts of a SEF 61xx chassis a couple of sets of Romford wheels.

I will keep the Duke (or is it a Dukedog ?) and the 61xx etched chassis, plus at least the 18mm Romford's and will count up how many of the 22mm ones I have in stock

Here is a question 

1810.jpeg.30f65eadf0f3fdcf25e9af84e874e68b.jpeg

This is a 2-8-2T chassis but not a 72xx (its too small) wheelbase is 26 x 23.75 x 23.75  any thoughts ?

Yesterday I checked the 7mm loco wheels, all there for the main 6 loco kits except one wheel is broken, I also used what I think is a complete set of 72xx body castings to make up a second set, which I did and found most of them (11 items short)

Today whilst sorting out the gauge 1 and class 35 spare parts (which are going on eBay tonight in 5 lots) another piece for the 1361 loco, next up is to sort out the etch frets from the unused small pieces

Plus I have the Langley 0-16.5 L&B coaches to check over

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, hayfield said:

This is a 2-8-2T chassis but not a 72xx (its too small) wheelbase is 26 x 23.75 x 23.75  any thoughts ?

Assuming it is a British prototype, the only other standard gauge Mikados were the Gresley P1 & P2 classes.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Assuming it is a British prototype, the only other standard gauge Mikados were the Gresley P1 & P2 classes.

Thanks, I have looked again and its not a tank loco chassis but a tender loco

• Like 1

One of the Items not visible from the photos in the listing are some body etchings for a LMS Fowler 2-6-4T

1813.jpeg.6b621b3ce6114f62b94553fb8307bf5b.jpeg

No idea of the make or either whether it was an early kit of parts or a set of scratch building aids, I guess the former

1814.jpeg.9baaaeb720e16fcd4df2554270b54058.jpeg

Not much left if it was a kit, but may be something which might interest those who love building in metal. Its quite a heavy gauge.

I see Premier Components do frames coupling rods and motion  https://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/pages/premier-components-lms-motion-parts  for a Stanier 2-6-4T

Anyway I will be listing it on eBay hopefully at the weekend at a nominal amount, and just see how much interest it creates if any, hopefully someone will a challenge 

• Like 1

17.png.725e452ac81bbeec75a555239709313b.png

This is one of the photos when buying the lot I did not pay much attention to. An etched coach and wagon, perhaps I should had paid more more attention to the instruction sheet, or the wheels, though close to then are some track gauges (the larger black one looks like my Brook-Smith P4 roller gauge ( I was proved wrong

28.jpeg.0a7f0ce97998fc7ea7a675a36c6ba980.jpeg

Along with quite a few etched bits and pieces was this 7mm scale Langley L&B bogie coach

29.jpeg.36adcc934ff752395b2c175b8c6f55ec.jpeg

Unseen was this composite coach along with a L&B bogie open wagon. These kits are incomplete, and at a quick glance the kits are about 75% complete

Now as a volunteer at the L&B coach works and interested in 0-16.5 these are real freebies, I will see if there are parts I can buy, but I expect most will have to be scratch built. I was at the workshop today and the lads expect to see them built, especially as we have started coach 9 

Two things to take into consideration, if selling items ensure you take cleat photos of what you are selling, secondly keep all the parts of your kits together, it will not only help those disposing of your items, but also help those buying them. Most of all ensure those left behind benefit as much as possible.

By the way what I thought was a P4 track gauge, was a 7mm version along with another Brook Smith gauge, I have never seen these in 7mm scale (or are they Scale 7?) but then there is a lot in this hobby I have not seen !!

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2

Today I received the two Springside Loco instructions for the Collet Goods and the Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST. When contacting suppliers for instructions I always ask if I can buy them, simply these traders are working for a living and its simply good manners to pay the going rate for their time, especially when you have not brought an item from them

I can highly recommend Springside, whilst usually you have to wait for the next production run, the parts become cheaper the larger the order. I have done this twice before and have been treated very fairly by the proprietor

Well I started with the Manning Wardle's, and went through the parts list. The loco I am keeping at the moment is missing about 10 items. The second is missing under 40 body parts (Springside kits do have loads of small parts) many of these may either be found in a spares box or easily fabricated. Most of the hardware (nuts and bolts) are missing as is the motor and gears.

The loco I am keeping is missing far less items than I feared, and over the moon with what I have. Given these kits now cost £300, the most expensive part missing from the second one is the motor and gears The missing bits can be greatly reduced by fabricating some parts and or not fitting some of the smaller detail parts.

Both this morning and this afternoon I have been spotting further parts for all 3 locos which are either in the unused parts box or put with the wrong loco, so I am in a much better position than I expected, next up will be going through the Collets parts list. I expect some items to be missing, plus there may be additional parts not needed

Also yesterday I started to write up listings for the unwanted 4mm locos, saving them for the next reduced fees weekend, as I am happy I have reduced the amount of missing parts for each loco as I can, but most are being sold cheap depending on how many parts are missing. 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

The instruction book for the Manning Wardle stretches to 11 pages. The Collet Goods runs to 32 pages. I started checking the parts last night, there are 3 pages of instructions

60.jpeg.946d536421bc061d3b9c7596e4a0e9c9.jpeg The 1st of 2 pages for the loco

61.jpeg.6e48a3f1ad4ad4a213a44a4cf95b4ed0.jpeg After 2+ hours I got to part 91 and either not found or missing about 30 items

I decided to stop where it got to the backhead and cab detail parts. Once I have done this I will recheck some of the smaller details and sort out another bag of parts which is mostly 4mm parts

62.jpeg.784c97fed21d3f1d0e8bf72467be4ca4.jpeg

Later today I will sort out the Tender parts first,  which hopefully leave the smaller parts for the backhead and cab details easier to find

I even realized this morning I had mistakenly put the smokebox wrapper into the 1361 box. I am missing the cab front so I will have to send an order to Springside and I assume it will take a few months for the missing items to be cast, so I may start the backhead detailing first and then depending on its completeness the tender. However I am enjoying the jigsaw or rather Jigsaws of parts for the 6 locos.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just as well you're not charging by the hour!!

Mike.

It goes to show why the seller, just scooped the parts into various boxes, because it was probably part of a deceased estate and had no idea at all.

Did all the boxes get won by Hayfield, or scattered amongst a number of buyers?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

It goes to show why the seller, just scooped the parts into various boxes, because it was probably part of a deceased estate and had no idea at all.

Did all the boxes get won by Hayfield, or scattered amongst a number of buyers?

The listing stated that all the complete kits had been sold previously

To a certain extent you are correct with your assumption, but why were the parts out of their boxes in the first place ?  I am not complaining as part of the fun is identifying what goes where

I have made good a Jamieson Black 5 kit, I think the Wills Flatiron is about complete (I have taken the incomplete) SEF chassis and a Craftsman A5 looks complete except for instructions

At the other end of the scale there is an incomplete set of early 7mm etchings for a Fowler class two 2-6-2T, someone will like a challenge !! and there is two basket cases of LNER Tender engines (which will be sold together as spares, likewise a K's Aberdare, and I will add an old Dean Goods I have with an outside frame one. The idea is to clear out all the bits I don't want

In 4mm I am keeping a Nucast  GWR Duke, two of the Springside kits and 2 of the The Wagon and Carriage Works locos, plus a lot of 7mm spring buffers and coupling hooks.

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The listing stated that all the complete kits had been sold previously

To a certain extent you are correct with your assumption, but why were the parts out of their boxes in the first place ?  I am not complaining as part of the fun is identifying what goes where

I have made good a Jamieson Black 5 kit, I think the Wills Flatiron is about complete (I have taken the incomplete) SEF chassis and a Craftsman A5 looks complete except for instructions

At the other end of the scale there is an incomplete set of early 7mm etchings for a Fowler class two 2-6-2T, someone will like a challenge !! and there is two basket cases of LNER Tender engines (which will be sold together as spares, likewise a K's Aberdare, and I will add an old Dean Goods I have with an outside frame one. The idea is to clear out all the bits I don't want

In 4mm I am keeping a Nucast  GWR Duke, two of the Springside kits and 2 of the The Wagon and Carriage Works locos, plus a lot of 7mm spring buffers and coupling hooks.

I like your challenge, it keeps you off the streets!

I would have similar 'kits' and it's easy to see how problems could occur, in missing or mixed up parts. I have certainly started models and got so far and ran into difficulties and pushed it aside. Later start on something else. If you aren't careful and meticulous, you end up with unrelated bits everywhere.

Then if no one has the time or knowledge, to correctly sort out the bits, then you end up as a jumbled mess.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I like your challenge, it keeps you off the streets!

I would have similar 'kits' and it's easy to see how problems could occur, in missing or mixed up parts. I have certainly started models and got so far and ran into difficulties and pushed it aside. Later start on something else. If you aren't careful and meticulous, you end up with unrelated bits everywhere.

Then if no one has the time or knowledge, to correctly sort out the bits, then you end up as a jumbled mess.

Kevinlms

The quality of soldering in both 4mm & 7mm scales is excellent, the mixing of parts were to the extreme, something like 10 or 11 x 4mm kits and 8 x 7mm loco kits, 2 coaches and a tender 

What is strange is the lack of original castings in the 3 Wagon and The Carriage Works kits, the style of Springside castings is quite unique and many of the WCW castings seem to be Springside. The GWR were fond of standardization of parts, so I guess many are interchangeable. It may be Springside supplied the castings ?