The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Amazon Prime UK (non) offer

Metr0Land

• RMweb Gold

In the past I've played the system by signing up for Prime for a month and then cancelling before month is up, waited a bit and then re-signed and so on, as I believe others on here have done.

I cancelled late Dec as I wasn't likely to buy much for a while.  I just had a bit of shopping to do, and the current deal is to get Prime for 1 week @ 99p then full price.  No thank you.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I don't use Amazon as much as I used to.  When I do I almost always get the 99p for a week "trial" offer. In fact, looking at the Prime Membership page for my Amazon account, it's offering it to me now; it may be a permanent offer that I just get reminded about when I make a purchase.  I do sometimes get the free one month trial offer but it seems to happen much more rarely than it used to.  TBH it doesn't bother me that much: if I want free delivery on an order under £25 I get the order sent to an Amazon locker, of which there are many near here.  I'm never in such a hurry for something that I can't wait a couple of days for it to be delivered.

It's the same with eBay: I used to get the maximum £1 selling fees offers more or less monthly.  Nowadays all I get is the 80% off selling fees offers.  I actually set up a second eBay account to see if that made any difference and the maximum £1 selling fees offer appeared quite quickly.  I took advantage of it to sell a relatively expensive item, and all they've offered me on that account since is the 80% off.

One might almost get the impression that these companies have more sophisticated algorithms these days capable of recognising when people are just taking advantage of the attractive "tester"/"teaser" offers to get something for next to nothing, with no intention of signing up for the long term.

Recall also that Amazon got a lot of criticism in the press a few years ago for supposedly signing people up to Prime 'without their knowledge'.  AFAICR it was always made pretty clear at the time of making a purchase what the offer was, although it was sometimes not so easy to find out how to decline it.  Neither was it always easy to find out how to cancel the Prime subscription before they started charging (although in fact you could cancel the same day that you accepted the offer, and you still got the free one month).  I had slightly less sympathy with those who took several months to spot that they were being billed on a regular basis for something they didn't want.  (A person of suspicious mind might suggest that the offer appeared much less frequently once the above mentioned obfuscations had been removed, and they found they were making much less money out of accidental subscribers.)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

It's the same with eBay: I used to get the maximum £1 selling fees offers more or less monthly.  Nowadays all I get is the 80% off selling fees offers.  I actually set up a second eBay account to see if that made any difference and the maximum £1 selling fees offer appeared quite quickly.  I took advantage of it to sell a relatively expensive item, and all they've offered me on that account since is the 80% off.

Thnk yourself lucky they've offering you 80%.  They only offer me 70%.  and they don;t necessarily offer it to everybody.   I think they've made a general business decision to change from the £1 maximum fee to these percentage offers, so that's not related to your having sold something expensive.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 30801 said:

At a slight tangent...

Amazon's Alexa voice assistant is supposed to be able to tell me useful things.

But now it's asking me stuff!

Untitled.png.cccb14fb828f37c8ad1a5b1013923259.png

Hi

Looks like they are basically getting the customers to train their AI system.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think they've made a general business decision to change from the £1 maximum fee to these percentage offers, so that's not related to your having sold something expensive.

Hmm, not entirely convinced.  My wife was still getting the maximum £1 selling fee offers long - as in at least a year - after my original eBay account was only receiving the 80% off selling fees offer.  That's partly why I set up my second eBay account, and lo and behold I got the maximum £1 selling fees offer almost straight away.  Then when the first thing I sold (in May last year) meant that they lost out on nearly £40 of commission, no more maximum £1 selling fees offers for me.  Yet my wife was still getting them in October and November last year i.e. five to six months later*.

Of course it's possible that the maximum £1 selling fees offers stopped for good in November, but nonetheless I'm pretty sure they do profile users' selling history as a guide of which selling fee offers to make to whom.

* Since when she has had no selling fee offers at all, and of my two accounts only the new one has had the 80% offer.  Looks like they went all-in in the run up to Christmas and are now in bit of a cooling down period.

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Looks like they are basically getting the customers to train their AI system.

This is your opportunity to influence how the world stores its onions.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2024 at 13:05, Metr0Land said:

In the past I've played the system by signing up for Prime for a month and then cancelling before month is up

When I did it, I cancelled it as soon as I signed up, you still got a full free month.

As I don't buy as much from them as I used to do, I haven't bothered with any offers recently.

I get the impression that recently, they have tried to make a non Prime purchase more difficult by the way the pages are set out, one wrong click and you're in.

It always has been a bit like that but seems more "pushy" recently.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Odd, I recently bought a specific-sized 2024 calendar on ebay (none were available locally) and it was delivered by Amazon prime!

My last Hattons order was delivered by Amazon (my choice) and took just 24 hours after leaving Hattons.

It met up at Redditch hub with another order (not Hattons!) fulfilled by Amazon and they were delivered together.

Edited by melmerby