Lenz 23150 and Windows 11

SRG50

I recently upgraded from Win 10 64bit Pro to a new computer with Win 11 64bit Home.  I had successfully installed the drivers for the Lenz 23150 on the Win 10 computer after disabling the requirement for signed drivers and all was well.  I have been unable to locate Windows 11 drivers for the device.  I tried installing on the Win 11 computer following the Win 10 protocols but Windows will not install the drivers and I receive a Code 39 error message.  
Is it the end of the line for my 23150?  What are my options?

If you can't work out the drivers (which may be the case, Win11 is tighter on security), then the options are (a) new device, but Lenz' own ethernet product is reassuringly expensive,  or (b) running the Lenz interface on a different hardware device, such as a Raspberry PI.  

Whether (b) works for you depends on what software you're using on the PC, and whether it can remote-connect to the Pi.  

Thanks for all your assistance Iain.  Several things for me to chase down.

A search of the internet for a driver came up with website called DRIVERSOL and they state FTDI have updated driver for Lenz LI-USB as per the image below.  I have no experience with DRIVERSOL or FTDI.  When I clicked on 'INSTALL DRIVER" it gave me an updater.exe.  I am wondering I should try the FTDI generic VCP driver and see what happens!

image.png.542a03c401525b09c9c6b62443e6c018.png

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SRG50 said:

Unfortunately, my new laptop/computer does not have an ethernet port.

Progress, huh 😒

Mine is connected to my router rather than my laptop. However, if USB is the right way for you, then as @WIMorrison says, use the FTDI driver.

2 hours ago, SRG50 said:

Unfortunately, my new laptop/computer does not have an ethernet port.

But chances are that your home network does have one, and you need to arrange the network to reach the layout.   The laptop then connects via its WiFi.  

Or, as Iain suggested, an ethernet-USB adaptor.  

• RMweb Gold

The OP has the Lenz 23150 (LI-USB) that does not have a LAN connector. It's the replacement 23151 device that has both LAN and USB options, plus this device uses a different USB chip that uses the Windows standard drivers. The 23150 has a chip that needs the FTDI drivers. 

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

IIRC you might be able to use the previous drivers in Win 11 but you need to go to "Install Unsigned Drivers" to do it,

Using generic FTDI drivers will not work as the Lenz ones have a custom ID which the install program uses.

(I went through this some years ago when tring to install Win 7 drivers on Win 10)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RFS said:

The OP has the Lenz 23150 (LI-USB) that does not have a LAN connector. It's the replacement 23151 device that has both LAN and USB options, plus this device uses a different USB chip that uses the Windows standard drivers. The 23150 has a chip that needs the FTDI drivers. 

Whoops sorry yes - I forgot there was that device after the LI101 and before the one with ethernet.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Using generic FTDI drivers will not work as the Lenz ones have a custom ID which the install program uses.

I believe it will work. Some time ago, when I had a 23150, I did a clean install of W10 and was surprised that it automatically installed the FTDI driver. This didn't have the Lenz naming but it didn't stop Traincontroller from using it. 

The 23151 is a much better interface as it uses standard Windows drivers, plus has the direct Ethenet connection. The current Lenz LZV200 command station has a built-in USB interface. I've had both the 23151 (with Lenz LZV100) and the LZV200 and never had interface problems with either, which was not the case with the 23150. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, RFS said:

I believe it will work

It didn't used to as there were several work arounds to do it, including an unofficial re-write by one guy, which was the one I eventually  used.

I later changed to the 23151 as I wanted a LAN connection.

No longer use Lenz but still have all the kit.

Anyone interested? I suppose I should put it on ebay but never got around to it.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

It didn't used to as there were several work arounds to do it, including an unofficial re-write by one guy, which was the one I eventually  used.

I later changed to the 23151 as I wanted a LAN connection.

No longer use Lenz but still have all the kit.

Anyone interested? I suppose I should put it on ebay but never got around to it.

When I replaced all my Lenz kit with the Z21 a couple of years ago, I put all of it on Ebay and it sold quite easily. Think I got about £50 for the 23151.  One sold last month for that amount - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116040348183

Perhaps the OP might be interested?

Edited by RFS

I tried the FTDI driver and Win11 and/or the 23150 did not like it.  However, Windows did offer me a solution which was to disable core isolation memory integrity.  I did that and the 23150 led lit up and it had loaded the Lenz Win10 drivers.  All good I thought until I tried to enable core isolation and it identified the Lenz and FTDI drivers as having issues that needed to be resolved before proceeding.

Unless there are other suggestions, I think the solution offered by Iain of purchasing a 3rd party DCC USB interface may be the sensible route.

Edited by SRG50

Other suggestions 

a)  cheap "mini PC"  (aka "NUK") running Windows 10 (should be able to get one for under £100), and use the server capabilities which I think the Lenz software offers.   

b)   depending what software is in use under Windows 11,   a Raspberry PI, and connect the Lenz to that.  Then connect your regular software to the service on the PI.  (I am optimistic that JMRI could do this, but if not using JMRI, then who knows)

Search Ebay for the newer Lenz ethernet+USB device.   I picked up one for the local group (lots of Lenz kit) in the summer for £70.     
Search Ebay for a newer LZV200 command station;  friend of mine picked up one for way under £100 (yes, really!).  Looked like it had never been used. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Search Ebay for a newer LZV200 command station;  friend of mine picked up one for way under £100 (yes, really!).  Looked like it had never been used. 

- Nigel

Sold yesterday for just £19.99 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386741324818 !!

EDIT: Just realized it's just a booster ....

Edited by RFS

On 08/02/2024 at 09:19, SRG50 said:

Windows did offer me a solution which was to disable core isolation memory integrity

Which has opened it up to attack by thousands of bits of malware. I hope that machine isn't internet connected.

• RMweb Premium

When I've got a bit of time (🙂) I'll see whether you can install the win 10 drivers on Win 11 by disabling the driver signature enforcement for that install.