DCC WIRE STRIPPING

RBC

Hopefully going to start a DCC layout for the first time which will involve a lot of wire stripping etc which can be time consuming. Found the following on Toolstation, has anyone tried these out ???? Look very similiar to DCC Concepts but roughly half the price and no postage and waiting on delivery.

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-automatic-wire-stripper/p30586

Edited by RBC

• RMweb Gold

I have similar not good for decoder wire but excelent for beefier bus wire.

They will allow you to open up the insulation in the middle of a bus wire run to solder to.

Chaz

• Agree 2

I have used these for a number of years on 99% of all my and my clubs layout wiring and domestic mains cables too. They do a brilliant job. Highly recommend. 😄

Note I have not found them that suitable for very fine decoder wire or Kynar wire though!  

Edited by Brian

I find that a pair of decent side-cutters works for 99.9% of the wire I strip - the 0.1% needs a scalpel to slice the insulation around the wire before I use the side-cutters to pull off the insulation.

• Agree 2

Both types mentioned in the thread above work well.   
I have the CK version of the Toolstation (top of thread) device, used it for years.    The pistol style can be quicker to use, but can't easily do "pull insulation back in middle of wire".   

The CK/Toolstation types can vary in how well they cope with fine wire, there is some limited adjustment in the design which can help, but some of it will be down to manufacturing differences. 

I also have a set of the traditional "plier/scissor style" cutters with a diamond shaped cut-out and a screw adjuster for depth of cut;  I use those for very fine work.  I also look after them carefully: stored closed, not abused on the wrong material, etc... 

Of course, if you're worried about data loss, you must put special green ink on the wire to stop the bits falling out of the sides of the cut wire.  

- Nigel

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Both types mentioned in the thread above work well.   
I have the CK version of the Toolstation (top of thread) device, used it for years.    The pistol style can be quicker to use, but can't easily do "pull insulation back in middle of wire".   

The CK/Toolstation types can vary in how well they cope with fine wire, there is some limited adjustment in the design which can help, but some of it will be down to manufacturing differences. 

I also have a set of the traditional "plier/scissor style" cutters with a diamond shaped cut-out and a screw adjuster for depth of cut;  I use those for very fine work.  I also look after them carefully: stored closed, not abused on the wrong material, etc... 

Of course, if you're worried about data loss, you must put special green ink on the wire to stop the bits falling out of the sides of the cut wire.  

- Nigel

I too can vouch for the CK version. I initially bought a version from Aldi or Lidl (can’t recall which) and, although it looked the same design, it just wasn't the same quality in my opinion. I had lots of either ripped copper strands coming off with the insulation or having to use the tool twice for it to work.

Brought it back to Aldi/Lidl and bought the CK version from RS Components, never looked back.

45 minutes ago, meil said:

My set of those used to immediately get borrowed at the club by others, until they bought some for themselves. They are nice & quick but you can also set a stripping distance so you are not left with differing lengths of bare wire.

I have several different types in my toolbox & can happily use the first set I pick up, which is good because these have usually already been 'borrowed' by the time I look for some strippers.

Most wire strippers do not go fine enough for decoder wire though (does anyone know what gauge that is in metric please?). I use my DCC concepts ones for this.

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I find one of this type perfectly adequate for the majority of wire stripping.

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-wire-stripping-pliers/p36252

I use the parallel type for doing LAN and similar flat cables

I also use these, or very similar, and I completely agree. Very easy to adjust and use for all types of wire from tiny fine led wires to 2.5mm bus wire. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I find that a pair of decent side-cutters works for 99.9% of the wire I strip - the 0.1% needs a scalpel to slice the insulation around the wire before I use the side-cutters to pull off the insulation.

Definitely a skill worth learning. I do find very fine wires don't always work first time these days - must be getting old.

Watching this thread as I may have to succumb and buy something.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Most wire strippers do not go fine enough for decoder wire though (does anyone know what gauge that is in metric please?). I use my DCC concepts ones for this.

Not standard I would guess as "Decoder Wire", as sold by several suppliers, is thicker than that on many decoders, which also varies.

EDIT

In front of me I have a piece of decoder wire bought as such, an oldish Lenz decoder and another decoder make currently not known and they are all different.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I use Klein tools wire strippers here in the US. They are more expensive than the Minotaur tools but they are designed for small gauge wire.

I would classify the wire strippers that you can ge from Tool Station et al. as electrician's tools.

For fine DCC wiring you need electronics technician's tools, available from places like Farnell & RS Components.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Gold

I use these.

https://www.esr.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/p33227_Perel_HTSTRIP5_Self_Adjusting_Wire_stripper___cutter_0.2-6mm².html

The tension/pressure is adjustable by the knurled steel wheel and by turning it well down I can strip Cat 5 flex cable insulation which is fairly thin.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

I use these…

Recently Added-96

They aren’t cheap - Radiospares - about £60 - but are brilliant - from decoder wires to 13 Amp mains cables - no adjustment needed -  if I lost them I would replace them without a thought!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I have a pair of Stanley "Professional" side cutters* that get used on the DCC bus wires, most of which is recycled 1.5mm solid single that came out of a school lighting rig. For the droppers and other signal wires I use 7/0.2 and my normal go-to for stripping that (if my thumbnail won't do it!) is the Xurons that are always close to hand anyway.

Decoder wire again is either thumbnail or Xurons.

*Also good for cutting piano wire...

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, jpendle said:

For fine DCC wiring you need electronics technician's tools, available from places like Farnell & RS Components.

Regards,

John P

That's what the one I posted is. Standard issue for my electronics job.

the strippers, now 40years old:

wirestripper1.jpg.e456848ad0b07c1a074edf99dae50efa.jpg

with decoder wire just stripped:

wirestripper2.jpg.e8bc4df10644a370fdb821f2ab2debff.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

That's what the one I posted is. Standard issue for my electronics job.

the strippers, now 40years old:

wirestripper1.jpg.e456848ad0b07c1a074edf99dae50efa.jpg

with decoder wire just stripped:

wirestripper2.jpg.e8bc4df10644a370fdb821f2ab2debff.jpg

I used to have some of these a long time ago, very effective especially if you didn't need to change diameters often. Alas lost many years ago :(

10 hours ago, bandmbill said:

I use these…

Recently Added-96

They aren’t cheap - Radiospares - about £60 - but are brilliant - from decoder wires to 13 Amp mains cables - no adjustment needed -  if I lost them I would replace them without a thought!

Showing your age now, calling them Radiospares!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As an electronics technician I was actually taught to use side cutters  and mostly still do.

But if I've a big job on I'll dig out a pair similar to these.

image.png.358298b02e4d7ed440f2f3ddb39dc839.png

Though I have a pair of these, as well.

image.png.0f8a6ad61fbe6a111333641ec39c28d2.png

And a pair of these,

image.png.3580619c8449bb1df33e145dd9eaa7ac.png

Though the last set are a pain with multiple sized wires, plus the nut/ screw limiters always start working loose with age.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

If it`s the very fine wire you want to strip,heat it in the flame of a disposable lighter and and remove the insulation with your finger nails.

Works for me!.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, sagaguy said:

If it`s the very fine wire you want to strip,heat it in the flame of a disposable lighter and and remove the insulation with your finger nails.

Works for me!.

Ray.

I was ‘taught’ how to do that with the untinned bit of a soldering iron.

I have more respect for my tools now!

Although, if I’m soldering the wire (pvc) I tend to strip slightly short knowing that the heat will cause the insulation to retreat along the wire.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

I used to have some of these a long time ago, very effective especially if you didn't need to change diameters often. Alas lost many years ago :(

When you've been used to them for many years the screw becomes irrelevant and you do it by feel

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Showing your age now, calling them Radiospares!

Showing my age as I read Radiospares without noticing.

Was late 70s when the change happened.

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, melmerby said:

When you've been used to them for many years the screw becomes irrelevant and you do it by feel

True, but that's where I use side cutters. When doing loads of the same size the adjustables were a handy "cheat".